UFC 196!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No. Individual tastes vary after all. Hell, I'd push anyone interested in high level athleticism to seek out some training in all three disciplines. My point was that Ido Portal has gone much the same way as CrossFit - a pretty decent training modality has been hi-jacked by idiotic fanatics, to the extent of becoming cultish.

Portal himself is, imo, ridiculously overpriced and a bit of a **** too. An attitude that many of his followers seem desperate to impersonate.

2. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

From my point of view I am not meaning "boxing is just punching etc " when comparing my post to boxing.....if I was to say it for boxing I would say that the optimal technique is the one that works at that moment. There is not one right cross for example...that has to be done from one stance in one way..theres lots and which one is done depends on whats going on at that moment....going back..forward...up , down..more weight on right leg, more on left leg...angling off either side.....theres tons of variables that need to be done in the moment..which isn't known until its happening.

And so, there is not one way to break someones arm....its the way that needs doing and thats on offer at that moment..or to whatever is caught...catch as can.
    For me thats what it brings to MMA as oppose to the more 'put your hand here..foot there do this do that' approach of BJJ...which is great for a slower Gi game and also has its place in MMA, its just that its easy it get lost in trying too hard to be specific and technical and do a 'named' move when a sub or painful attack could be right there in front of you if the catch what you can approach is incorporated too. As in if a grappler breaks someones arm or subs them it doesn't matter what move or who taught it or how he did it...it worked at that moment and thats it. That all I'm bothered about anyway.

Concerning Randy Couture and Matt Thornton, as far as I know, Couture went to his gym to work striking for a fight and basically dominated them all using clinch and wrestling against their wing chun type stuff and so Thornton dropped that, which he said he was not finding useful anyway in more free sparring, and so started incorporating wrestling and clinch.

3. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

From what I have learnt natural movement should be incorporated within fundamentals of how you do something in a fight as oppose to making it separate......but just doing strength work along plains of movement that won't be used during a fight could be said to be of little use or less use too. For me its a middle ground.