UFC 187

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, May 19, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Cormier Rumble
    Weidman Belfort

Its (nearly) TIME!!

Who you guys got for this?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A failed drugs test for Belfort and a suspension due to domestic violence for Rumble.

It's possible I'm becoming somewhat cynical.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My picks in bold...

Anthony Johnson vs. Daniel Cormier
    Chris Weidman (c) vs. Vitor Belfort
    Donald Cerrone vs. John Makdessi
    Travis Browne vs. Andrei Arlovski
    Joseph Benavidez vs. John Moraga
    John Dodson vs. Zach Makovsky
    Dong Hyun Kim vs. Josh Burkman
    Uriah Hall vs. Rafael Natal
    Rose Namajunas vs. Nina Ansaroff

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Wait then who gets to wrap their Bentley around a telephone pole?

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I agree, except for Moraga, I like Benavidez.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I flip flopped over that one. I think I only picked Moraga so more than one of my picks came from the right column. :)

7. Mushroom

I'm not bothered on who wins between Rumble and Cormier as I'm a fan of both guys.
    However I think for Johnson's chance to win, has to be within the 3 rounds of violent striking.

I'll be happy with a Belfort win.

Makdessi has no chance, unless his striking and submissions has improved dramatically...or a wonder punch.

8. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Vitor and A. Johnson

9. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Great fights!

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I hope people stop dismissing Weidman now. People kept talking like his wins against Silva were not impressive and saying Silva beat himself. I thought that was unfair to him.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I suppose the two questions that come out of UfC 187 are how did vitor get his bjj black belt and how long before rumble fires his conditioning coach

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, I was really shocked at the complete lack of effort to either get up or control posture. It was like watching UFC 2. I thought Johnson was just naive tbh, he exposed himself to much and paid for it. The Arlovski fight was brutal.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Loves the whole card. Best one I've seen in a while!

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Where the hell has Andrei Arlovski been keeping his time machine, it's like i'm back in 2005, cept this time he was able to get past the reach of the behemoth before him, War Andrei!

Also, while the Machida fight made me a believer, this fight cemented Weidman's claim to being the baddest dude at middleweight, and i can't wait for the Rockhold fight, on the flip side though, while DC put in a good showing, I really get the feeling he's just keeping the belt warm for Jones.

15. aaradia

Regarding the winner (not saying who without spoilers) putting on a good showing, but keeping the belt warm for Jones............

There is no guarantee Jones will be back. Or that he won't be back after a couple of years in jail, during which time everything could change. Or that he doesn't get his act together and his skills deteriorate. Or that his motivation and will are broken with the title being taken away, and therefore - most likely - his chances at breaking the record for consecutive defenses.

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I realize, but it's more that i didn't feel the winner did anything that would present a threat to Jones, if he were to return sooner rather than later, he won, but there is an obvious gap in ability there.

If he does return later, after a prison stint or the like, and has lost his will to win or his killer instinct, then the nay sayers are right, and the division will cast in a long shadow hollow of "the pre prison Jones era", as opposed to a new dynasty as created by the victor of the bout.

17. aaradia

When a fighter that great leaves, I think people have trouble adapting to a "mere" Champion- instead of a legend being there.

Think GSP. Since he retired, no one has come close to being as great or legendary, although there have since been two champs. Neither could be called potential GOAT like GSP.

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I guess, but it really doesn't help when the new champion was convincingly beaten by the old one.

19. Mushroom

It will always be "_____ will never be as good as Jones" or if Jones comes back and starts losing it' ll be
    "Pre Prison Jones is better than Post Prison Jones" .

Great card, a lot of fun. Even the Prelims were Main Card Quality.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

And as good as Cormier is, he didn't really do anything in the cage that had me thinking the result would be any different if he fought Jones again, unless Jones goes through a massive decline in skills due to the situation he has created.