UFC 126

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by slipthejab, Feb 6, 2011.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Slip',

I don't have a problem with a public persona being pants - I can choose to ignore it or have a laugh or whatever. I do have a problem with members of this forum attacking someone who can't (as he is not a member of the forum) defend himself - it seems to me we should be about how to defend against muggers rather than doing the mugging ourselves :) :) :)

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Irrespective of whether you think the criticisms of him as a person, his recent actions or of his technical ability are valid, to voice them doesn't make you a keyboard warrior.
    Fact is Segal readily invites criticism through his behaviour. He appears to suffer from extreme grandious delusions, has a reputation for ego mania, and allegations of physical and sexual assault and intimidation... I'd say that he's fair game for a bit of a ribbing. His statements in the interview are hilarious and the 'training video'...

If you really think that looked good, then I think you need to raise your expectations.

Well fair enough... but his actions of the past seem to be repeating themselves here don't they? Which is why he's being dicussed here in the first place.

pffffft :rolleyes:

Manners, really?? why don't you tighten up your bodice strings and skip off down the 18th century meadow to hub of antiquated, fawning, etiquette that spawned you? People are poking fun at an overblown celebrity and having a laugh... lighten up.:cry:

And listen, if your going to lecture people on manners and civility then perhaps you should think about how civil it is to enter a thread by calling everyone involved a bunch of keyboard warriors despite having little knowledge of their training backgrounds - a point which is even more salient given your assertion that opinions on a person's skill lack true validity until you have trained with them.

3. Killa_Gorillas

Oh boo hoo. :bang:

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Doesn't that remove entire portions of the site where we help steer newbies away from mcdojos and generally talk about the pros and cons of different schools/styles/ideas?

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

While I don't even come close to agreeing with you on this point because he's a public figure with celebrity status and fair game for criticizing... I did get a chuckle out of the part of your post that I put in bold. :)

I reckon that if we can't see what went on behind the scenes with the Silva being trained by Segal video... well I for one blame Silva for not having the whole session filmed in Segal's own Letterbox 2000 TM format!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82j_Qfp_VA"]YouTube - Mad TV - Steven Seagal's Letterbox 2000[/ame]

:p

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'd have to agree that he's pretty fair game. I don't really hate on the guy, but he's one of those guys who's so cringingly 'bad' in so many ways it's gold.. His reality based police show looks like it's well worth watching for comedy value alone.

I mean someone like Elvis can get away with yellow glasses, Segal can't.

7. Killa_Gorillas

From my seat at the comp here I can just about see with my monitor strained eyes a gleeming copy of 'the foreigner' sitting on the shelf across the room buried under a wealth of books and dvds. That film must be seen to be believed... never has a film embodied so many of the 'qualities' that make steven seagal who he is and make his 'creative output' such iconic comedy gold. :hat:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  8. Killa_Gorillas

says it all...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vk5pcjCwyQ"]YouTube - On Deadly Ground: Fight of TOLERANCE[/ame]

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I have to admit I find it ludicrous to think that Segal 'taught' Anderson Silva the kick.

It's a basic technique in any style. You all probably learned it the first time you went to class. Yet this actor claims he 'taught' it to Silva.

Btw

I wouldn't agree that the items themselves are 'ridiculous'. I don't find them any more ridiculous than wearing sports wear everyday. That said, if you take yourself too seriously and act like you really are some sort of military personnel, it would indeed come across as ridiculous.

10. slipthejab

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzkNyyI9_4"]YouTube - Mad TV - Steven Seagal Tells A Joke[/ame]

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Killa',

Recently they had on TV some Segal and Van Damme movies and I lost count of the final score but yes I think Segal has made more lousy movies than Van Damme - I have NO Problem with slagging off his acting ability as that is something that is in the public domain - my argument was that it seems to me unfair to make personal attacks when there is no right of reply.

12. slipthejab

lol... I'm not attacking the item themselves. Why would I... they have their place. On a shooting range. :p

uhh... what? I'll take a fella in sportswear over psuedo police/military types any day of the week.

QFT :hat:

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

So let's see if I have got this right...

1) I shouldn't take being good mannered seriously.
    2) If I am challenge others for being rude then (even if they are being rude) I am being more rude...

Hmmmmm - will think about that... :thinking:

BTW - I used the term keyboard warrior in the sense of someone attacking another person via computer rather than face-to-face which has nothing to do with any actual physical skills that they may or may not have...

14. Killa_Gorillas

1) context is everything.

2) oh please. People are being 'rude'? what are you twelve? I'm just suggesting you hold yourself to your own standards so as not to be seen as a massive hypocrite. I'd didn't really think you were being that rude to be honest, just stupid.

Keyboard warrior - fair enough, I thought it carried connotations of being a paper tiger/all mouth too.

I humbly suggest you smile and relax. Perhaps find a more worthy cause to champion. If Steven Seagal even cared for a minute about peoples opinion of him here I'm sure he'd get over it... he's a very big boy after all. :Angel:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  15. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Killa'

I guess we simply have different viewpoints on this - you obviously see Segal as fair game and I don't.

Also I am stupidly, cursed by an old fashioned and not only outdated but possibly historically non-existent sense of warriors honour where I try to hold myself to a greater not a lesser set of values.

Do I fail? - Often!!!

Does it stop me? - Not in the slightest.

Anyway, time to go teach class - have a great weekend. Happy to pick up our chat next week :)

16. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

No I meant as a fashion item. Wearing them along with your Deicide T-shirt and ripped up jeans is fine, acting like you are a real commando, not so much.

17. Killa_Gorillas

Nah no need :)

Have a good class :cool:

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I posted this, slightly edited, on another thread:

Its good to remember that this isn't Segal making things up, Anderson name checked Segal at the post fight press conference and gave him credit for helping him to get the win. Its easy to overreact against Segal but it seems the guy has something to contribute and some legit skills, Anderson isn't the easiest person to impress in the world.

At the end of the day Anderson won his fight with a front kick KO, something thats very very rarely been done before and never at that level. If he says Segal taught him some good stuff and that it helped him I for one am going to believe him!

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Just watched Silvas kick Ko of Belfort again,to me its a perfectly executed Teep Dtrong/Teep Kang to the chin MUAY THAI style,Silva is up on his toes,he swings the arm down,he leans back slightly,all he things that Thais do everyday in training,they just dont kick the face much in fights because of respect to the opponent,I like Aikido but cant have them taking credit for that kick:).

TKDMITCH,I was unaware Silva did Tae kwon Do so maybe he did learn the kick from TKD but he executed it the Muay Thai way:) LOL I love Muay Thai me:)

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You may find the mechanics of some kicks are not unique to MT :D

Mitch