UFC 112? WHAAAATTT?

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Pitfighter, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

If you watched it you probably are just as dumbfounded as me?

I guess I'll start with Penn's robbery.

I just feel the fight was a draw. Big props for Edgar for staying competitive throughout the match. I literally didn't see 1/2 to 2/3 of the punches land from either fighter. In fact I only realized punches were landing after the first 2 rounds when I saw the welts on Penn's face.

Penn strangely enough wasn't going for any ground game which frustrated me because I felt that could broken the stalemate.

Edgar's takedowns just didn't work. Nor did his kicks but at least he mixed it up a li'l more. The big thing I liked from him was he starting clipping Penn after Penn stuffed his takedown which was a nice counter to a counter.

Penn's jab was good and he sneaked in a lot of baby hooks with his left and right. They didn't do any considerable damage but they landed clean.

Edgar only had one takedown and considering how tight the fight was maybe that coulda been the one thing that stole a round out of an otherwise 10-10 or 9-9 in every round. But even that shouldn't count as a tiebreaker cuz Penn stood right back up in like a second and I score Penn's stand up the same as Edgar's takedown since no damage was done.

Silva vs. Maia

I don't know what to say besides the fact I was horribly disgusted and disappointed. What the hell is Silva trying to prove?

Hughes vs. Gracie

The UFC needs to give up on its current senior tour. If the promotion really wants to be the premiere show with the best fighters they need to leave these fights to smaller promotions and push fights that matter even if a newer fighter doesn't have a name yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Spoiler tags added for anyone who's not seen it

3. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

BOOM bj got worked, he came in looking unhealthy and overlooked edgar as a competitor like most do. He didn't push himself hard enough nor did he prepare himself enough.

4. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Your analysis of the Penn fight makes me wonder if you watched it, Edgar had 2 take downs but Penn quickly recovered from both he did overall more damage, and more hits. It obviously wasn't that close unanimous decision by judges lol.

5. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Sorry I thought you didn't need them after 24 hours. I'll use them regardless from here on out.

6. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Nah Penn was obviously more tired after the fight than Edgar but I only saw one takedown for sure. If there was another takedown than Penn's standup was so quick I still can't see how one could score the takedown real high. Takedowns like that shouldn't be weighted much more than a failed submission hold or glancing punch.

I can't see how you could agree with the judges honestly. They both seemed to be landing the same # and % of strikes. So I can't believe we were watching the same fight.

7. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

yeah i was particularly ****ed at anderson. It was very obvious the second the fight started that there was an in-comparison of skill levels. so why he just didn't finish it off in the first round idk. was it that he wanted to show of his capoeira, and takekwondo skills as well? beats me. but after the first round seeing him bounce around got real boring. I also have yet to figure out why at abu dhabi everyone was afraid to go to the ground. Just really seemed ironic.

all well. I saw it at a sportsbar so i saw it for free. so i guess thats a plus.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I don't think Silva wants to knock these guys out when he outclasses them this severely.

9. liero

liero Valued Member

I haven't watched the whole fight. just bits that I could watch bootlegged.

I did watch the 1st and last 2 rounds though.

I think Silva has a serious issue with the UFC itself. That whole escapade seemed like a big "up yours" to the UFC, He showed how good he could be, and then he showed how boring he could make his fights. I think he just wants to fight top competition...hopfully he gets a match up against GSP and we see him in top form.

10. Kuroshinobi

Kuroshinobi Banned Banned

I kinda started thinking the same thing.
    I guess Anderson Silva felt insulted that this opponent that has barely proven himself is talking about him failing and losing to him.

So Silva showed that the UFC promotion was fake.
    I remember at one part someone said it was like a game of chess
    If someone made the wrong move it was over.

UFC promoters made the fight look like it was even.
    Everyone who really knows anderson silva skill and then watch Maya. KNEW Anderson silva could easily do him in. I mean it was like watching an angry 3year old trying to get revenge at an adult for taking his candy.
    Maya was helpless.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

its "maia". If silva's ****ed at ufc then he should of ended him in the first round and left ti at that and besides thr ufc had to pull a fight out of their ass after belfort got injured. Whatever silva's reasons all that happened is he looked like a **** and Maia gets all my respect for staying in there and swinging from his knees in the 5th.

plus if silva was so confident he could beat him why not go to the ground with him and beat him at his own game? he was just miffed that someone wasnt playing his game and throwing strikes for him to counter and to say he doesnt owe an apology is stupid. I'm with dana on this personally and Silva's been saying he wants to fight HW so, if he feels no one at mw can challenge him anymore, fine stick him in there

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't know why people that fight dancing counter punchers (or people that refuse to engage) continue to chase after them round after round?
    Stand in the middle of the ring, bend down and draw an imaginary scratch line on the floor and then just stand there with your hands on your hips. Mime looking at your watch. Pick your nose.
    Make them look stupid for running away from someone that's not actually chasing them.

Oh and Silva has every right to fight any way he wants (within the rules).
    Just like Dana White has every right to take him off televised cards if he continues to clown around and spoil events.
    You can't strip him of the title because he's clearly the best fighter out there but you can minimise his negative effects on the UFC.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  13. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Silva is a Roy Jones Jr fan and RJJ used to **** people off all the time by dancing around and showing he had his opponent completely outclassed. I guess his performances are a tribute to RJJ and a big middle finger to his own fans (which I am one of). He almost has me rooting for his next opponent...almost.

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

was it though? timidity is a foul under unified rules

15. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I sorta thought that. But if that's his beef why doesn't he just say it. He's popular and well respected, or was anyhow. If he had a beef with how the UFC is run just say it? He's gotta bully pulpit. I know every other MMA fan out there has a beef with the UFC so if he had a problem with how its run why not blow the battle horn why would he just goof with Maia? What was he trying to prove?

16. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

I wonder how many people remember the early fights of Anderson Silva. I think most people started looking at him seriously about half way into his fight career. However if you ever get a chance watch some of his earlier fights. The whole disgracing the sport and disrespecting his opponent has ALWAYS been there. One of the #1 reasons why I never jumped on the A. Silva bandwagon. The guy's been an ass since the beginning from what I've seen.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You do realise that if Demian Maia had got him down he would of dominated Silva on the ground. You dont win first place at ADCC on luck alone.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Maybe. As we saw that's a pretty big if!
    Silva is no slouch on the ground either and has been able to stand up to more dominant wrestlers (in the sense of controlling psition) than Maia.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I know maia has world class Jits, but pure jits vs groundwork in MMA is a little different, Anywho I lost a lot of respect for silva's personality during that fight, however the guy is technically amazing at striking, pity he's such a douche.

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What? Now people are hating on Silva because of a single fight? Sheesh.. tough crowd this. Come on... he's produced far more amazing fights than he hasn't.