UFC 101 reviews

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Smitfire, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thougth I'd kick off some post UFC 101 discussion.
    Let's not forget the spoiler tags people!!!!!
    Do not post anything that spoils it for others for at least another few days please.

Silva v Griffin

God damn I've not seen anyone so outclassed in the UFC like Forrest was.
    It was almost like Silva realised after a minute or so that Griffin couldn't actually hurt him and from then on it was like a cat with a mouse.
    Silva just had some slick counter punching and head movement. Griffin's chin has gotta be a little suspect after that fight surely?
    Silva's been a little slack of late but that was just fighting in a class of its own.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Silva v Griffin
    It was the first time I've actually felt really sorry for a fighter. I like Forrest but that was pretty embarrasing. Credit to Silva though every time he hit Griffin properly he dropped him or rocked him but personally I think Forrest held back a bit or Silva got into his head. He didn't really throw any power shots, everything was too half hearted I think.

Penn v Florian
    Not much I can think of say aobut this fight really. Good fight, good finish, didn't think Florian was going to tap at first.

Sadollah v Hendricks
    Obvious question: Should it have been stopped? Personally I think it was a fair call. rogan was right that Amir went to get back to his feet but the ref went in to stop it while he was still on the ground and I did think he was out at first when he dropped. Nice uppercut though :cool:

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Griffin/Silva

Jeeeeezeeee...That was crazy, If I didnt know how much of a tough fighter forest was, I'd say it looked like his first fight. Silva DOMINTATED him. I thought Griffin would be a good match up, but he was just torn through. Silva must have gotten to his head.

I wonder if it was because Anderson was so casual, The sorry while exchanging in the stand up, and later when Forrest got to his feet after the knock down.

4. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I don't think Silva has been slack as of late. Remember that Leites flopped to his back anytime Silva even came close to him. I think it was the same Silva in the Leites fight, but Leites didn't want to try and trade punches with Silva. And it appears it wasn't so bad of a strategy. ;)

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think I can post without spoiler tags at this point. I don't think Griffins chin is suspect - he just ran head first into a big fat fist with his chin out, already dazed from being put down 2 or 3 times. Anybody would have got knocked out. What was he gonna do though? Take him down? He had no recourse in that fight.

6. mega zuki

mega zuki Valued Member

It is beautiful watching Anderson Silva fight. He is seamless with his combination's, he has perfect head movement, and maybe the best footwork in the business. He also has a great ground game to go along with his striking. I also think Machida is great, but i think with Anderson we may be watching a once in a generation fighter.

7. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

I thought silva looked like a showboating buffoon. No respect for his opponent at all. The way he was dropping his hands and taunting Griffin he deserved to get knocked out. That being said he did fight well and showed his timing and intelligence (apart from dropping his hands).
    Pellegrino/Neer was a good fight, really enjoyed that, some great striking and grappling on show.

The ref's decision against Sadollah did seem a little premature but he was taking some gnarly blows, he could have left it another 2 or 3 seconds to see what was what. Hendricks looked like he'd broken a bone in his hand so Sadollah may well have gone on to a win if he'd weathered that small storm.

BJ Penn is one my favourite fighters, good to see him win after GSP gave him a hiding. He should stay at lightweight imo.