uchi deshi

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by raybri-san, Aug 21, 2003.

1. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

i'm going to enter a uchi deshi program in october 2003 in zwitserland by SENSEI PATRICK CASSIDY 5th dan akikai aikido
    i'm gonna lern a lot more yes!!!!!!!!!!!

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

If I wasn't married with children I'd be an uchideshi too. I know of school in San Diego, California and Chicago, Illinois with uchi programs.

3. deCadena

deCadena New Member

what's an uchi pogram?

4. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

hi deCadena an uchi deshi program is you'r a indoor student practice al classes they give 7 day's a week work at de dojo around the dojo most of the time more than 1class a day
    i cant wait to begin

5. deCadena

deCadena New Member

ah i see. thanks for the info and have a great time. :)

6. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

most envious....

enjoy!

7. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

I've been on a couple of Patrick Cassidy's courses when he's visited the iwama-ryu clubs in Edinburgh. Not really my style of Aikido, but he's a good teacher nonetheless.

8. Gravity

Gravity New Member

You wanna be uchi deshi?

Good for you! it means you will have intensive, one on one training and study under an Aikido teacher. Best of luck and persevere on your goal!

As an uchi deshi, you are tasked to live in the dojo and do your share on dojo maintenance, housecleaning and repairs. Some uchi deshis are so devoted that they also attend to the teacher's needs.

Some of the notable Uchi Deshis among the many that I've read who studied under the founder, O' Sensei Morihei Ueshiba were:

Sensei Gozo Shioda
    Sensei Tomiki
    Sensei Koichi Tohei
    Sensei Mitsugi Saotome
    Sensei Morihito Saito

The last Uchi Deshi before O' Sensei died was Sensei Saito (I think). He was the caretaker of the Iwama Dojo Shrine and carried this role up to the 90's.

All of the mentioned ushi deshis are respected aikido masters today.

9. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Congratulations man!

10. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I know i say this all the time but read "Angry white pyjamas" by robert twigger.
    ouch

Good luck.

11. alexmac

alexmac New Member

Yeah that book is superb.
    Its got to be the way to learn training every day.

12. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Gravity said-The last Uchi Deshi before O' Sensei died was Sensei Saito (I think). He was the caretaker of the Iwama Dojo Shrine and carried this role up to the 90's.

I might be reading this wrong, but just to say Saito was not the last uchi deshi in Iwama. Gakku Homma i beleive was the last to enter the Iwama dojo in the founders last few years.
    Saito Sensie was O senseis longest ever serving uchideshi over 24 years.

He was not the founders longest serving student as he didnt start until about 1946, and the founder had students training with him from pre war until the sixties. One thing about Saito sensei is that he was never taught by Doshu. Osensei was his only ever Aikido teacher.

You can never get better training than longterm uchi deshi, if you can find a good teacher that is.

Try this site out www.iwama-aikido.com
    This is a fantastic site by an old uchi deshi called david alexander who spent 10 years uchideshi under saito sensei in the 70s (part of the famous hell dojo years) He has some fantastic storys about his time there and the training rules in Iwama and why it is so different to many other styles
    hope ya like

13. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

:eek: i would love to do that, just cant find no where,where one would be. how do u get into them?and usually how long are they?

14. aikiscotsman

if your looking for uchideshi in tomiki aikido i think you will have to go to there hombu in japan with narayama sensei, speak to tintin about that. Did you see my info for your "search for a dojo"?
    there is an iwama dojo there. if you wanted to go to Iwama you would need a minimum of about 9 months training, (do as much as you can) You need at least a basic understanding of ken/jo saburi and have done at least 1/2 gradings to understand some taijutsu. there is some very good uchideshi programs in the us just check them out.

15. spectre

spectre New Member

tell me more about this uchideshi. its really intetresting :D

16. aikiscotsman

Uchideshi is a very old word. It basically means LIVE IN STUDENT. In the old days. lets say in the post war days. Japan was pretty much desamated by the war. very little food was available. The uchideshi system then was living in the grounds that the founder owned, and working his land (long hours) in exchange for little food and lots of aikido teaching. Now since then we know japan has become a country of plenty. so there is was no wherenear the amount of work and farming required now. So now you would pay a monthly fee in exchange for you sleeping in the dojo and training everyday. But in traditional uchideshi style Sensei still manages to find work for you during the day, depending on the time of year, lots of work or very little work. The idea of hard work and hard training are very important to each other. plus it is good for the soul to do an honest days hard work.(even if you are paying to do this.) REMEMBER YOU ARE GETTING THE GREATEST TRAINING YOU WILL PROBABLY EVER RECIEVE, IF YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT DOJO AND SYSTEM.

Iwama Uchideshi Program

From Hitohiro Saito Sensei, Aiki Shurenkai Dojo-cho

July 07, 2002

Anyone who wishes to study the techniques of the Founder and Morihiro Sensei, please come to Iwama.

The prices of things in Japan are high and it costs a lot of money to stay, but please come to Iwama and you will certainly have an experience you will value your whole life. We welcome you.

In the dojo, commercial, religious and political activities are not permitted. Keeping these things well in mind, please also study Japanese customs.

We welcome all of you who dream of coming to Japan.

The Iwama Dojo is located adjacent to the site of the Aiki Shrine in Ibaragi Prefecture, Japan. The dojo is the original country school of Aikido Founder Morihei Ueshiba and was later overseen by Morihiro Saito Shihan until the latter's passing on May 13, 2002.

Basic Guidelines

The Iwama Dojo has hosted literally thousands of aikido students from all over the world for the last 30 years. Iwama Aikido offers a balanced training system with an equal emphasis on taijutsu (empty-handed techniques) and weapons practice. Many of the former Iwama uchideshi have gone on to open their own schools on returning to their countries and continue to spread the Iwama approach to aikido on a professional basis. The present instructor is Hitohiro Saito Sensei, 6th dan, son and successor of Saito Sensei.

Fee & Expenses

Long stay, per month: ¥75,000

(Please inquire for rates for shorter stays)

This fee covers training , lodging, and basic food supplies. The food provided consists of bread, margarine, peanut butter, and jam. It is the responsibility of uchideshi to buy and prepare all other food.

There is also a required registration fee for entrance into the Ibaragi Dojo that all first-time uchideshi pay of ¥3,000.

In addition to the above amounts, uchideshi pay a fee of ¥300 per day for miscellaneous expenses. During the winter there is an extra fee of ¥100 per day for heating costs.

Additional requirements

Uchideshi candidates should have a minimun of one-year training experience in a dojo teaching Iwama Aikido and obtain a letter of recommendation from their instructor.

Prospective uchideshi must further obtain a health insurance policy valid in Japan in the event they require medical treatment during their stay in Japan.

Finally, they should acquire a familiarity with Japanese customs and etiquette and approach their stay in Iwama with a volunteer spirit.

For further information, please contact the dojo at:
    Tel: +81(0)299-45-3788
    Fax: +81(0)299-45-6056

Hitohiro Saito
    Aiki Shurenkai Dojo-cho
    Yoshioka 26
    Iwama-machi, Nishi Ibaragi-gun
    Ibaragi-ken, Japan
    +81-2994-5-2224

PS. We are no longer in the aiki dojo. sensei has left the Aikikai and opened up his own dojo in the Iwama village. The old dojo is now run by the old sempai from the area

17. aikiscotsman

You should also contact the shodokan hombu for info on there uchideshi system, if they have one.