Two Sword style?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jun 11, 2003.

1. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

How about Gama/Kama...you use two of them and they are like little axes.

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

more pick like than axe I would think not that that makes a diference any ways. :)
    Sheild and weapon is a two weapon style if you think about it.
    You have your hacking or smashing weapon and then a large pice of plywood with metal bits not fun to get sheild bashed.

3. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

In Aberdeen a former Navy Lt. commander now retired, Locker Madden, (who re-introduced the art of Single-Stick fighting into the Royal Navy in the 1980's) also practices a double stick style which used to be called 'Cudgels' which simulates fighting with two cutlasses or broadswords.
    Back in 1985 he held a Cudgels competition in Cornwall, the first recorded competition since Elizabethan times!

I have yet to meet the man but he tells me he's still Cudgels champion!!!

Louie (Ancient Scottish & European Martial Arts)

4. Cudgel

where do you supose I got my name?

5. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

6. deCadena

deCadena New Member

the filipino blade oriented art of kali do have a double sword training (doble espada) as part of their system.

7. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

There was a two sword style practiced many centuries ago, by a warriors who's name was Miyamoto Musashi.
    He had his first duel at 13, and though he was in many duels, he never failed to attain victory, duels more than 60 times, and his last one was when he was 29.

Miyamoto wrote "The Book Of Five Rings" which is very much worth your time reading, it has alot about his style, which involes using both a katana and a wakisashi at once.

A very good book.

8. Cudgel

a great man aslomst deomn some beleived him.
    He could killl lesser swordmans with sticks and sh!tyty katans whilst they had teh best of weapons. A wise man he was.

9. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Musashi founded the style NITEN-ICHI-RYU the two sword style.
    im surprised no one brought his name up, has everyone actuslly forgotten about him or just never knew?????

10. Cudgel

or matbe we thought iot would unecessarry to speak of him

11. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

why is it unnecessary to speak of him you guys were talking about a two sword style with wakizashi and katana he has probably the best history with it out of all swordsman.

12. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

He is clearly the god of swordsmanship :p

13. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Umm ... before posting something like this, you might try actually reading through the previous messages. Musashi was mentioned in the very first post, and in others that followed.

Mike

14. Cudgel

LInks we need links to sources that show techs using two weapons.

15. Roga

Roga Wanderer

Question

I was just wondering if some one answer two questions in this subject. What style is it when you use and Katana and its sheath? Any of you that were not Ambidexterous but now our? I apologize if sound like I don't what I'm talking about. I hope to learn alot eventually.

16. Cudgel

Welcome Roga

Well I'm more or less fully ambidextrous or ambisinister (both left hands :))
    I dont think being ambidextrous helps alot in two wepon fighitng uynless you both weapons egually to attack with, because I knwo lots of peol who fight with a sword and shield which is fighitng with two weapons, but two weapon fighitng styles will help with ambidexterity if you use two weapons to attack nad not one to just defend and the other to attack. YOu have to alterante attacking and defening between the two weapons for you skill with two weapons to grow.
    Although it might a be good idea to start out using a single held in your off hand nitl you can attack passibly with it.

Just my opinion

17. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

There are tons of Kenjutsu styles that use the sheath...

18. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

I for one didn't forget him.

But he didnt do a two sword style!

Fundamentals are taught using one weapon either single handed or with two.

But there are more advanced two weapon techniques.

An even higher level is with a shortsword.

19. Luthen_inadon

Luthen_inadon New Member

actually I would prefer Tai Chi Swords for double sword style, they are meant for one hand so they are light...that is just my opinion

20. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

What do you mean, "he didn't do a two sword style"?

Mike