Two sticks (swords, knives, etc) vs one

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Tireces, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Well, probably a really dumb question, but I'm curious what people prefer, and why. I like two myself, because I find it's easy to overwhelm people with constant attack, kind of like a straight blast in JKD, and I can still just use one of them if I find using both becomes cumbersome for some reason.

2. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi Tireces, I like two weapons, too, whether blades, sticks, or chakas. For that very reason I don't like to use long weapons, but if I find myself with one, then I use one like two.
    Ingat ka,

3. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

I want to learn two weapon fighting but I can't. :D

4. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

I prefer single stick / itak over double stick in actual application since I can use my other hand offensively and defensively in conjunction with the weapon. But double weapons teach attributes that are needed in FMA, such as ambidexterity and the ability to respond to attacks from either side. You can develop these attributes with single weapon but double weapons can train them faster.

5. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Perhaps if you followed the example of Mr. Han from Enter the Dragon?

6. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

I don't know this Mr. Han. What about him? :D

7. Tireces

Tireces New Member

You've never seen enter the dragon? Well, Mr. Han was a joke for "Mr. Hand", because his little gimmick was that he only had one hand, but he had this outlet on his wrist that let him attach weapons to it, anything from a solid metal fist to wolverine-ish claws, mr. han had it.

8. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

Actually, Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje told me that I should make gauntlet-like contraption on my left hand, complete with sharp claws, blades, hook, etc. More of a Witchblade gauntlet actually. :D

I already accepted the fact that I can't weild two weapons like people with two hands. I just have to be a super master of the single weapon. :D

9. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Because of an elbow injury as a kid, I've only learned to fight with just one arm, using the other as a checker on the inside (I can't extend the arm very well).

But I've always wanted to be able to wield two weapons, too.

You know, I thought about trying to make a vambrace like that myself, the sort that can act as a buckler shield and has forked prongs to catch blades, has something to protect my wrist and my fingers, but allows me to wield a weapon with two hands.

Because I am good only with one weapon (probably not super good, though I want to be), I prefer longer weapons.

10. Gryphon Hall

By the way, the one time I tried doing some sinawali, I did so using actual bolos (yeah, STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEED). Because I didn't have the skill, I got my hand stabbed by a jungle bolo.

Now, more than ever, I want to learn two-handed skills, but maybe that's the wrong approach. Maybe I should just try to be really good with one blade.

But, oooooooooooh, it will be coolness alive if I can fight with two (kulit talaga).

11. Jax

Jax New Member

I personally prefer 1 weapon when stick fighting, if they have two is gives them overconfidence which i can use against them, or at least try to :)

As for blades i prefer two as you can cut them up twice as fast :woo:

12. ranger

ranger New Member

espada daga or just single baston for me. kasi yun lng alam ko eh! hehehe but thats ok, talo nga doble baston, isang baston pa! :D

but seriously i use the other hand not holding the baston or the daga to control my opponent.

good day :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  13. ranger

ranger New Member

i can't seem to find a word to describe it but yes a "checker", quite appropriate term to describe it :)

14. Gryphon Hall

Have any of you guys ever tried to control the weapon by grabbing the pommel (or what should be the pommel on a stick)? Grabé, with the other guy's hand as a fulcrum, it is relatively easy to control the blade.

The first time I used it, we were fighting single stick and our sticks were sticking together and there was complete surprise on the other guy's face as I directed his own weapon back at him using the pommel. Used it another time and stuck the point of his weapon on the ground. Both times left my own weapon free to do its, uh, job.

It also worked when I had just one stick and he had two, using his own secondary weapon to fend of his primary, although he got wise to my tricks and that didn't last very long; however, I did get a few cuts in.

Madaya daw ako (He said I cheated), but eventually, he used the same tactic on me too.

Any of you had the same experience?

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

imho, i subscribe to what one of my brothers told me:

"one, two, it matters only if you can work it and make it work for you"

i'm very uncoordinated so i would say solo baston but that's just me.

16. Gryphon Hall

Oh, thank goodness! I thought I was the only one. :D

17. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

Actually its the same thing regarding physical atributes. They say to be a better fighter you must have speed, coordination, power, etc. I am a big guy so I can't move faster like little guys but that doesnt mean tha I can't be a good fighter. I can be a good fighter with techniques and skill that works for me.

18. shootodog

just to put things in perspective, compared to the brotherhood, i am very uncoordinated. :D

19. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Unfortunately for many schools double stick training never goes beyond siniwali drills and attribute development. But if you get competent with double sticks you gain an enormous advantage over someone who only has a single stick. The live hand can only be used in conjunction with the weapons hand in the medio or corto range. At largo range the live hand makes a great target for someone with two sticks, along with the rest of the body. When you box, do you only use one hand? Kickboxing? one leg?

20. shootodog

i agree. not many teach combatives for two sticks. kali illustrissimo has great combatives for two sticks from what i've seen from the old man himself.