Two school's of Thought

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Simplicity, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I sorry if I had offended anyone in my post. That wasn't my intention. Its just that most people think there is one school of thought on Jeet Kune Do, which there is not. Search out the facts for yourself, don't take my way or for that matter anyone elses way as the truth.

Pat, sorry for putting your name in that post. I just think that you are one of the few that can point the way. :bang:

Yoda, thanks for waking me up. I had a bad day that day and lossed it. This is a best forum on the internet.

I end with, don't take another man's truth as for your's seek it out forself, as long as we get to the same place at the end of the day.

To all concept JKD, what you do is what you do, most are very skilled at it. You are very good at what you do, but this wasn't how Bruce trained. But that doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong. That all I was saying. Peace to all, we all brothers and sisters.

p.s. I'm just writing this, because I'm
    only human too!

Take It Easy,
    John

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

i think the concept vs orginal was an american magazine label,(correct me if im wrong) it seems to me that the orginal and concept bit,are two peroids of bruce lee's life,by that i mean when he was teaching in seattle he had a set progression and in L.A. he saw the floors,hence the principles of training/fighting.on dan inosanto tapes he said that bruce lee used jun fan as a base to be able to use the principles.its important to keep the memory's and arts of BL. but not worry bout going your own way.bruce lee was quoteed saying thst he did not want to be worshiped and taken as gospel,does seem that some people are doing that.i study the jun fan more then other arts i train in cos i love training in it.the thing is the two people who are at the top of these twp approaches are dan inosanto and taky kimura and thet are friends,there is a picture of dan,taky and taky's son(andy) on inosanto's website that has been recently posted

3. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I agree on some things with you and somethings I don't. Dan and Taky are not the only people that Bruce Lee taught or touched lives. From what I see and heard, it was some of the concept people that put the label as of Original Jeet Kune Do. There is a misconception that were are stuck in the past, this is not true. We train to become ourself, just like the JKD concept. The difference is we don't train in different styles to use whats useful, discard what useless. We learn Bruce's princple, abide by his princples and then we dissovle his princples, so that we have our own formless form. So as you see, if a student follows this path in training method. We believe at that point you will no longer be doing anything what he was, because just like a boat just to get across the river. Once across its useless, to carrie the burden on your back anymore. Peace to you, good luck in your training.

John :D

4. tel

tel

i think we can agree on some,and i think that where the too ideas start,before without a doubt go in different directions :) .also i didn't mean bruce only taught dan and taky,but they were the asst instructors to bruce lee,then going on to take over the schools when bruce went to L.A. and hong kong respectively

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

No probs mate, I was about too when the thread got locked down, anyway PMed the guy with my recommendations.

At least you use my name in a possitive way, you are one of the few that do, but thats ok too for I know were the others live;)

You keep you opinions going at least you are a person who like myself speaks their mind as opposed to voicing someone esles opinions, now what I mean.

respects mate.

Pat

6. tel

tel

on the point of 1st generation students saying BL did this or that,cos he trained everyone diferntly most people who rained with him had different veiws/versions of what he did or how he trained,on the inosanot videos he said that BL taught certian things in the classses and would try new things on dan.so he would teach the jun fan (base system) but when he trained with dan he would try things taught to him by other instructors.
    also BL only gave instructors certificates to dan,(jkd,jun fan),-takyjun fan)
    and james lee(jun fan)
    so first generation students who teach jun fan or jkd are under dan inosanto(maybe very few under taky kimura
    just cos im not sure
    where did jerry poteet train? who did he get his instructorship under?

7. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Wong is the only one i Know that got his cert directly from Bruce. Poteet was under Dan Inosanto for a time (well he continued training at the Kali Academy and earned ranks there[do correct if I'm wrong]). I think he was senior full.

8. tel

tel

ted wong may of got a certi from bruce lee,but not his instructorship,bl only gave three people permission to teach,dan,taky,james lee.ted wong is under dan inosanto or taky kimura as an instructor,he is not an instructor under BL

9. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

But even Inosanto acknowledges that Ted Wong was Bruce student, having trained him from scratch. Back then Inosanto gave the permission to teach but those individuals aren't instructors under Dan. Dan Lee is acknowledged as primarily Bruce's student, as Bob Bremer, Tony Luna, Pete Jacobs, along with others were. Granted, these same individuals all continued their training when the Kali Academy was just in its infancy, but these same people are still primarily of direct descendance to Bruce. People that are instructors under direct lineage to Dan, are some of the following: Tim Tackett, Chris Kent, Paul Vunak, Steve Grody, Burton Richardson. Those that aren't instructors under Dan, are those aforementioned students directly under Bruce along with many such as Jim Sewell, Poteet (although he gained ranks in Kali at the time under Dan and like i said reached senior full instructor), their primary lineage goes to Bruce.

10. tel

tel

yeah they may of trained under bruce and mainly been his students,but they are not instructors under him,so what one of the instructors gave these guys permission to teach jkd? just out of interest

11. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

I didn't get your last line. Were you asking something in the last line? I couldn't tell, sorry.

12. tel

tel

lol.soz,yeah who gave the first generation students like ted wong the instructorship in jkd,cos tho they might of got certicates by bruce he didnt give them permission to teach,or give them their instructor ships

13. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Dan said, that although they did receive permission from him, he didn't certify them. He said that he wanted the JKD to continue after Bruce's death. To put it this way, the first gen students don't represent the Inosanto banner despite the fact that Inosanto granted these same individuals the permission to teach. Get what I mean? Also you might want to pick up Dan Inosanto's 1980s book Art and Philosophy of Jeet Kune Do. There, he lists the JKD generational tree.

14. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

but the cert. isn't what matters. jessie glover has no cert. but incrediable skills. he can make you a very competent fighter, so the paper is nothing.

15. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

So how does Jesse Glover fit into the BL/JKD family tree? Why didnt he get certified?

16. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

First Tel, Just my opinion. You need to do more research about Jeet Kune Do. :bang:

Second. At the time the LA school started. Daniel Lee was the first student admitted to the school and Jerry Poteet was the second. As their training went on, Bruce Lee invited five of the top students to train with him twice a week. To train in the Final Phase of what he was doing. One of theses students was my Sifu Jerry Poteet. Bruce Lee didn't charge them anything either. These five students being trained in Bruce Lee heavy duty stuff that Bruce had to offer. By the way Dan wasn't one of them either. Its a know fact that Jerry Poteet recieved most of all of his training from Bruce himself. Jerry Poteet was a senior student of Bruce Lee LA school and one of the top energy training guys there. Which he was one of the seniors training some of the lower level guys energy training. He assisted at the school and trained at Bruce Lee's house. What more would you want? When Bruce Lee past a way, Dan needed this seniors help him. Dan has said in the past that Jerry Poteet in one of the most knowledgeable Jeet Kune Do guy out there. Their guys that are certified instructors of their that 3rd and 4rd generation under Dan or someone else. Who Do you think I want to train with? :)

Take It Easy,
    John

17. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

certification shouldn't matter at all.

18. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

It shouldn't matter. But sometimes it 's called into question in regards to lineage, which is called into question about legitimacy. As long as the lineage and the legitimacy of that lineage is cleared up, whether cert or not , shouldn't matter

19. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Jesse was an early student of Bruce's. Just about when the Seattle group got a little formal, Jesse didn't take part with the new seattle group and decided to go his own way but still kept contact with Bruce. Jesse developed Non Classical Gung Fu based on his experience with bruce and some of his Judo experience. Also Bruce gave him permission to teach what he was taught at that point but not to call it Wing Chun nor Jun Fan Gung Fu

20. tel

tel

well first of all have been researching for while now.not sure how u can say i need to do more research. maybe u should look at more then jerry poteet or the nuclues members got to say.the bottom line is that bruce thought that out of all his students dan inosanto was the one he wanted to carry his art on.no one put more time in than dan inosanto.FACT.and as for L.A. school. dan asst bruce lee.yes jerry p may of trained at bruce's house.and yeah i know that bruce didn't charge close friends.fact is that when bruce learned something he trained it on dan inosanto,it was dan that help bruce apply it