Turtle top positions/terminology

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5G9D6k1VIh8

Soooo I was thinking the other day that my attacking the turtle game is quite small in scope, and was wondering what approaches other people here have?

usually I use turtle side hip ride, facing the same direction, far hip controlled to stop the standup, (sometimes far wrist control to open up attacks) driving or hanging pressure.

My main aim is the back or cruxifix but ill take a bow and arrow/juji roll/no hook rnc or guiloteen if its there.

I've been trying a back turtle hip ride more which involves the same as above but facing the hips instead, and also going directly behind them and riding their roll for the back or sc top etc and the same from a knee on thigh vs turtle type position riley bodycomb uses.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I need to try to refocus on separating the knee/elbow from side ride and looking to establish a hook to back take. Right now I tend to favour sprawl to anaconda or side ride to strike get them to try and roll out and take side control.

Basically even more limited than yours!

3. Dead_pool

Sounds like a good approach, youve got front, side and MMA/SD.

One of our Brown belts uses the telles version of the turtle, which is a nightmare to deal with,
    elbows to hips, hands on knees, head in floor, it feels like the neck is vulnerable, but it just open up the sweeps/escapes.

I think really I need to seperate out the different forms of turtle and work from there.

wrestling/bulldog, standard BJJ, telles guard.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Learn CACC ;)

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i like to go for the clock choke from the side of the turtle, a kind of darce/lapel choke when i'm in the front. mostly though, i just ride out tori on his/her hips, then pull them down with me as i sit on my butt to take their bath. it's actually an unstoppable back-take. i'll see if i can find a video of what i do, but a brown belt showed me and it's now my go-to.

6. Dead_pool

7. Dead_pool

I think I know what you mean, but extra video is always good!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Someone say Turtle top?

[​IMG]

9. Giovanni

haven't been able to find a video dead pool, let's see if i can use english...lol (edit...clearly failed on the first attempt)

[attacker is on top of the turtle, defender is in the turtle]

i'll set it up from the right. defender is in turtle, and attacker on the right side. right hand of attacker grabs defender's right sleeve at the elbow and knuckles on the mat, right foot goes next to defender's knee and flat on the mat, left hand of attacker grabs either the belt on defender's left side or whatever lapel attacker can grab a hold of. the critical thing is to fall back properly. attacker should fall on his/her butt. also, don't go for the hooks immediately, go for the choke first to distract the defender, then get the hooks in.

i'll keep looking for a video and post when/if i can find one. but it is unstoppable. if you can image, attacker has killed the entire right side of the defender, and just needs to sit down. the tighter the turtle the better actually.

10. Dead_pool

Are you tipping them sideways, 45 degrees or straight backwards?
    Ive always avoiding taking people straight backwards as you can really mess up peoples ankles/knees doing it.

11. Dead_pool

I think you've just lost me,
    tori is Turtle top, and uke is to the right yes?
    Which arm is my right knee controlling, the far one/right one
    Which knee is my right foot next to?

I do this to overly defensive people all the time too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YRtzr4HHk&t=133s

12. Giovanni

oh darn, confused my peoples. i'll edit my original. with attacker (on top) and defender (on bottom)

my bad.

13. Dead_pool

I think I get it, its a spiral ride with a belt grip, near side arm block and near side knee block.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You rang?

This is a now old video of me with an option you can use to set up further attacks, or you may get lucky and land it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOGRJ9yfv9k

And a follow up with "the worlds bendiest man" Reilly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyK6Hm67jo

Spiral ride is also one of my go to moves, although I did break three of my assistant Instructors ribs with one once so tread carefully.....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
  15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Dig elbow into the back, that gap between the spine and shoulder blade (causes pain)
    Cross face the face with other hand (causing pain)
    Clasp hands together, twisting the face to one side, elbow still dug in the back (causing pain)
    Crank (causing pain)

:D

16. Dead_pool

Pain with no endgame is Guaranteed to make sure the roll escalates, plus the best turtler in the room is a much better wrestler then me so no hip control means at best they stand up.

17. Mushroom

With your weight on his/her back and chin turned, he/she wouldn't really want to stand up. If they do try, you can turn them with the head still clasped. Youre on your knees , and the turtler is pretty much still in the same position but belly up. And then you tilt their head forward and down into their own chest.

I'm trying to find the video of where I learnt this via a seminar.. but I cant find it. But I swear that the video exists to explain it wayyy better than I can.

Hannibal / Sifu Ben Gash. Help me out?

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

19. Dead_pool

Its the bit where there is no hip control and the crank isnt fully turned that would be the issue I think, Especially with how turtle is played re head position.

20. Mushroom