TUF18 - Rousey v Tate

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Princess Haru, Sep 7, 2013.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There was no good fair solution to this situation. This is Cody's fault for quitting at the last couple of hours. It put the other fighter (Anthony something or other) in a bad no win situation.

He was on track to make weight. He did his part. He was prepared to fight. But he was also eating poorly and cut a LOT of weight. The commision didn't really think it was safe to cut, rehydrate, and cut so quickly. Why should he go through two taxing weight cuts, take a second fight in a most probable weakened condition because of that, and risk losing from having to cut twice when the situation was not his fault? That isn't fair either.

It isn't right he gets a pass. But it wouldn't have been right if he lost and a guy that already lost beat him at less than full strength.

Me, I am a proponent of same day weigh in to make people fight at their more natural weight. But I suppose that is an issue for another thread.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I totally get that actually and he probably did the sensible thing in my eyes. It's just a pride thing in my eyes, I've never been one to want to accept laurels that I haven't earned. Yes, he was on target and would have made the weight cut, but he still didn't fight for his place in the house. Again, it's not logical, just my pride.

Probably is, but I am also in agreement for this. It just seems wrong that people should weigh in for a lighter weight category only to add on the pounds by the time they fight again as much as they do, again it just feels like people playing the system to get extra advantages rather than fighting fairly. Call me old fashion.

My favourite season of TUF was the Bisping/Hendo season - if memory serves it was the same one that Ross Pearson won in his weight category. I'm a fan of it as it was the first one I ever saw and just fell in love with the concept.

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

A friend dedicated this animation to the women TUF fighters. I thought it was cool

[​IMG]

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Boy I feel old, I've been watching TUF since season one....its amazing to watch the guys who were on the show retiring now. Part of the sport I guess.

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Cant wait for tonights show

6. Kwajman

After watching last nights episode, I can't remember seeing anyone with the determination and focus that the winner had going on. Keeping his diet and sleep schedule unchanged, not getting involved with the game playing that goes on in the house, things like that. Good display of jujitsu I thought from the standing mount he took to win the fight.

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^I was schocked to see Tate blatantly playing favorites with her buddy fighter. I am glad also at the result of the fight.

8. LemonSloth

Bit disappointed with the fight in the last episode. I was expecting quite a bit more from the loser, but at the same time you can see his time in the house was telling on him quite badly and that probably had something to do with it.

At the same time though, I have to say I like the winner a lot. He can come across as a bit of a pratt at times, sure. But he trains with such determination, stays so focused the entire time, stays on weight and has a damn good game in the cage. Rather than get angry over feeling progressively isolated if anything he looks like he's focusing more and more on pushing himself even out of training time, which is fantastic. I'd love to see him fight Davey (taller British dude with the kid in the green shorts) in the final. I think that's going to be quite an exciting match.

Shame on Coach Tate though and her favourite. Everyone has favourites, fair enough, but you just can't be seen to be doing that.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have to admit to not liking the Gracie stuff that much but I can't fault the dude for his determination. Wanted Woolton to win but hey.

Tate playing favorites was always a risk once she put Duke on her team but I hope she loses. Don't like her that much for some reason and a few people on the show have called her out for being a cow both in the house and on her blog as well as lying about a few things on the latter. No previews of the fight though so I assume its over quick.

10. LemonSloth

Isn't Duke "Jessamyn Duke" of Team Rousey? For once I think I remembered the name (I may or may not have a fan boy thing for her :p)

I know who you mean though...it's not Jessica, not Roxanne, not Raquel, Sarah, Peggy...Julianna! I don't know her last name, but I'm pretty sure it was Julianna...Penny? :dunno:

Either way, I'm hoping she loses. Sure, she's scrappy and I have nothing against the person herself, I just don't like the favouritism.

Where's her blog?

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I liked Sarah Moras since I saw her first fight. I honestly did not think she had that kind of fire in her, she looks like such a sweetheart though from how she composes herself and behaves. I thinks thats awesome, to be a great fighter and in control of yourself as she is. I hope she rocks Julianna .

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Pena

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Its on tonight baby yeaaaaaah

14. Southpaw535

Well Sarah choked. Someone really needs to teach her to keep her hands up as well, I've noticed a few women who hang them low on this season. Fair play to juliana though.

15. Kwajman

Boy, Julianna is NOT liked by anyone in the house.

16. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Before the last episode I was actually a fan of Sarah Moras , I thought she was real humble and stuff. But when I heard her smack talking before the fight , I forget the exact quote, but that really made me lose respect for her as a martial artist.

Before this episode I didnt like Julianna either for some reason but when I saw so many people in the house turn against her I got mad and PRAYED that she wins the whole thing.

The funny thing is the people talking crap about her in the interview room ALL already lost a fight in the house and ONE guy opted to waive his fight. All the debbie downers were already depressed and just trying to wolf pack up against one person.

Im glad Juli won and IN FANTASTIC fashion. I mean that one huge welt she left on Sarah Moras' face was just nasty . Juli is surprisingly stronger than she looks. Roaxnne Modafferi is an awesome person and seems like would be a good friend the way she didnt "abandon" Juli and thats even cooler that the move they kept practicing was the fight finisher.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  17. LemonSloth

I had the same reaction. Some smack talk is fine - you see the Holdman/Wootten fight build up and they're both sitting there going "you're a damn decent guy, but I'm here to win" kinda thing, I have no problems with that. But when Sarah started talking about how she aimed to drop loads of elbows in and break Julianna's arm just for the sake of being vicious...I wanted her to lose.

I missed the Julianna/Shayna fight, so I hadn't seen her fight previously save for her entry fight into the house (which just looked "OK"). To be honest, the favouritism that Tate was appearing to show Julianna was bugging me, but that was about it. She's a tad on the insecure side for my tastes, but she really doesn't seem like that bad a person.

But damn did she dominate that fight! I don't think Sarah was mentally able to overcome just how ferociously Julianna came at her and attacked her. She very much seemed to be on the back foot the entire time and just couldn't get it together.

As a side note, I'm beginning to think Julianna might win the women's contract this season. She's got a surprisingly good game and a phenomenally aggressive attack rate. A bit careless with her punches, but she seems to get the job done too.

Poor form of the other house mates to not congratulate Julianna for her win though, that was just spiteful.

One of the other things that bugs me about the people in the house this season is how little they seem to be willing to do without having the coaches up their backside. They all seem to want to sit round and twiddle their thumbs in the perfect environment to focus on their training with very few exceptions.

Yeah, I've always been fond of Roxanne. She's a really sweet person and one of the only people I would honestly refer to as a martial artist in the house. Plenty of fantastic athletes there, but not many MA'ers in my eyes.

Looking forward to seeing Davey fight next week though, I really want him to win. I haven't been able to be ok with Anthony taking the bye without at least trying, even though it was arguably fairly sensible to do. Where as Davey does look like a solid contender. Plus he's British :p

Then we have the Jessica/Raquel fight the week after! *excited squeal* I'm not sure I can call that one. Jessica does comes across as the better, more experienced striker, but Raquel seems to have more energy and a head made of concrete.

18. Southpaw535

From what I gather reading blogs and replies to Julianna's own from the cast, the editing is leaving out a lot of bitchiness from her. Apparently she was a massive pain in the A for everyone else in the house, constantly talking behind people's backs and making snarky comments. I've forgotten the specifics since it was a few weeks ago I read a thread about it but I did get the impression she brought a reasonable amount of it on herself. Even Tate admitted it in a roundabout way on the last episode.

That is actually something no one has really refuted her on. She made a post about the favoritism thing and basically quoted what Tate said on the show which was that, as you say, she was the one grabbing the coaches and asking for advice. When the other shad lost their fights they were rocking up and saying they wanted to do cardio or whatever.

19. LemonSloth

That doesn't entirely surprise me. I don't tend to read the blogs and what-not very often so I miss a lot of bits like this. That aside, I still consider it poor form to not congratulate the winner on winning a fair (if one sided) fight. But I'm kinda old school on that front.

I had wondered after seeing last week's episode if this had something to do with it. In my eyes they're no better than Julianna's favouritism if they're not proactively jumping on the coaches or even each other for help.

20. Southpaw535

I agree but thought it added a bit more context as to why. At the moment on the show it looks like they randomly started dumping on her.

Its really dumb. Yeah they lost their fights but most of them are going to get another shot on the finale card and they might as well take advantage of having those coaches and facilities there to learn something.