TUF18 - Rousey v Tate

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Princess Haru, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yep.

That episode made me sad. Roxanne seems awesome and it was sad to see her lose. Also that fight should of been stopped after the slam.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Yawn!

I felt sad for her too, though this seemed to be the second fight on the women's side where strength beat experience imo (okay so Jessica had a lot of years in boxing, but managed to escape Roxanne's submission attempts just as Julianna had with Sheyla). Without the shoulder injury she'd probably have knocked her down in the first.

3. Southpaw535

I dont find Rousey hot because she's fit, I find her hot because she can fight. So can Meisha, but Rousey beat her :p

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Is there anywhere I can watch this on catch-up or anything like that?

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, it was. And I could swear I heard him say in round one that the next time she did it- a point would be deducted. Then, he stopped the fight and issued ANOTHER warning saying next time a point would be deducted.

As it turns out, the point deduction would not have changed the outcome, but still................

6. Southpaw535

Welcome to mma reffing :p

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Agreed.

Most don't realise that what they are seeing on the teley ( and ESPN spreads ) is a polished product - or at least in the process of being polished.

The vast majority of these women - not the wanna-bs, but the real bangers ( I know there is a newer breed coming in now ) - are very rough and very alpha - the 'feminine' side a thing learned by practice with image consultants.

IMHO Sarah McMann has a natural kind of charm of her own. One of my favourites.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xze4z5_sheila-gaff-vs-sara-mcmann-fight-video_school

Can't get the perma-link right for the Mcmann/gaff fight...

8. Southpaw535

Just to be clear that isn't what I was getting at. I know other women who can fight and are still feminine. I didn't mean the idea of seeing Rousey as feminine is wrong, I just have an extreme weakness for women in gis or shorts and handwraps :p

9. Princess Haru

No, not in the UK, maybe in the US

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Wow. Disappointing referring there.

Please keep in mind that this is entertainment and a reality TV show. They are not real people, they are characters. The people are doing what they need to do in front of the camera in an effort to advance their careers and the editing it does in such a way to increase entertainment and viewers to get more money. That's all it is.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I love how YOU can voice your OPINION without someone else criticizing your OPINION....

guess I dont have that luxury with the same HATER that always has something negative to say about me , my relationships anything and everything I type.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  12. Southpaw535

Whatever dude. I didn't know if that's what you thought I meant, that's all

13. Princess Haru

I'm quite happy to throw hate on anything you say with regard to female fighters since your only opinion is on their looks. It's very predictable and tiring. I don't need to use any additional capitals too ;) That doesn't mean I haven't dismissed your opinion on the stand up vs grappling and whether a standup UFC is more interesting (though as a judoka I do like submission wins).

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Well that wasn't personal or snipey or anything :rolleyes:

Got round to watching the first episode just now actually. I don't see female fighters very often in UFC/MMA stuff but some of them were really damned good actually. Not sure how I feel about Rousey & Tate as personalities yet though. Rousey definitely seems...highly strung, maybe?

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

yeah sure buddy

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I don't think Princess Haru was purposefully ignoring your "but the men fights have been lack luster. The women are fighting with all their heart" qualifier; but I do think the tendancy to stereotype another's stereotyping, real or perceived, is so pervasive its almost...a sterotype.

Its something we all seem to do; so easy to detect in others and almost impossible to see in ourselves.

Here's something which probably doesn't make sense but daffy enough to be true; it doesn't matter that one would admire female fighters for their ability to fight - even ranking their spirit and aggressiveness above males as the case may be - what holds weight is the fact that a statement was made regarding women's physical appearance was brought up in the topic.

Here's the tricky bit - the statement is not read as you think it is; its read as a judgement - in this case the emotive connotation of judgement is condemnation - one is not simpy admiring a woman's features in addition to whatever skills and qualities they have; one is condeming the others who weren't mentioned as a hideous horror show. Even though in your mind, nothing could be further from the truth - thats just the nature of emotional connotation - there's no comparative logic or even awareness of the process.

Mind you, they all think in that way - the prettiest girl, the most hypnoticly alluring example of feminine mystique identifies with the negative judgement if the opprotunity presents itself - regardless of anything else.

17. Princess Haru

Compared to some TUF17 fights the guy's fights have been a bit lacklustre, but I'm hoping next weeks' fight won't be. I do find Ronda's macho posturing in, well, all episodes so far to be embarrassing to watch. Was there any of that in previous TUFs? What happened to this Ronda?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dWNJzU9z4"]Turtle Turnover - YouTube[/ame]

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Last nights episode was OK. Why are they showing just one fight per episode? Seems like last season there were 2 , even at the beginning. They might be milking this season for episode count. Unimpressive fight last night between the guys .

19. Princess Haru

Maybe, I thought it was only the semis when there were two fights though.

The fight went down pretty much as I expected. Did wonder if Davey's weight cut, seemed a lot in a day, would affect his power, but that didn't seem the case after the first 30 seconds. By going for the arm bar in the first I though he exposed a counter from Louis but didn't pull it off, and that ground and pound really showed on his face.

20. Princess Haru

Jess vs Rachel was quite the slug fest