Trying to Expel Some Frustration

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I had recently returned from the hospital. I went there to give support to a friend, Stephen whom has a brother, Justin - became victim of a shooting. When I arrived, his parents, relatives, and friends of Justin were already there. Justin was in surgery, and everyone, to say the least, had concerned faces. On the side, I had asked Stephen, how or why did it happen. According to witnesses and the police:

Justin was walking to pick up his car from a parking garage in a large metropolitan city. For sake of argument on what cities have higher crime rates, I will omit the name of city. Justin came upon a scuffle between a woman and a man. He shouted something as he nearly approached. And within that instant, the man punched the woman, pulled out a pistol, and brandished it towards Justin. After a few other words within mili-seconds, Justin attempted to un-holster his gun. Justin had a CCW permit. The man shot at Justin several times, but only one bullet actually hit Justin. It penetrated and is in his left lung. Justin did not have a chance to fire one shot. Police investigation, as well as retrieving footage from the parking garage, is still in progress.

Although I own guns, in past decades I carried one for "protection". I did not legally need a permit, license, or other restrictions. I had stopped that "practice".* I started to research, likewise I do upon most subjects;

* It seems to me more and more people are obtaining CCW permits. Along with the cost, (I cannot see a logical value in it), people seem to be driven to get a gun thinking it will make them more safe. Upon a study within my large extended family on both parents' side, I started to inquire and take a census.

Almost everyone, within a legal age and responsibility is in ownership of a gun(s) on both my parents' side. Out of the census of these, over a 100 people, I found only three who did not own a firearm-of any sort. Those I spoke to; had guns for hunting, but did not think to have one to carry for protection. Those who would carry one, did so in their vehicle, but they no longer carry. And only two, out of the entire census 100+, had actual CCW permits. So, according to my "family census";

A.) The large percentage own guns
    B.) The large percentage did not "carry for protection". This would seem that the large percentage never been involved with a gun shooting or found the need to continue to carry.

Could it be that out of "fear", people carry, (either with permit or not) from some type of false sense of security? Do people actually believe, that carrying a gun is somehow going to save them?

Somewhat to "as if";

"As if", they lack the idea that bullets could be traveling at them, and that their gun will keep them from being shot?

Or, "as if", having their gun, makes it become a bullet proof shield?

Or, "as if", under the stress, along with a live target moving, could they having their gun, and hours of immovable paper target practice, with headphones, safety glasses, and standing in a single-perched stance, they could actually perform the same?

Or, "as if", someone who already has the intention to shoot someone, having their gun out first, could actually wait until someone with a permit, un-holster and actually use theirs in defense

Availability heuristic comes to mind when the media provides information that is process for the sake of value towards people who are pro-gun or anti-gun

From last report, Justin is in ICU and doing well

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I've thought about getting a CCW for my handguns, the reason in my mind is this: What if I'm in a situation where I could draw and either stop a bad situation from getting worse, or prevent one all together. Without a CCW and gun on hand, I have zero chance of doing that. The gun doesn't necessarily give me a 100% chance, but it does give me more than zero.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Surely when you draw you feel the situation requires lethal force.

I would imagine a lot of training and thought is required to use the threat of lethal force to prevent a situation. It seems like a dangerous area to get into.

Just a thought.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm very sorry to hear about this, by the way, MartialMan. I can't begin to imagine what the family must be going through.

I started to post some thoughts on the implications for gun control. But, honestly, it doesn't feel right to use your family's misfortunes to argue one way or the other. Not now.

So I'm going to leave it at that. I'm really sorry that you and they are going through this. My best wishes for Justin.

5. 47MartialMan

This thread really wasn't intended to discuss guns or gun violence.

I was so frustrated, I had to vent

I had to vent so much, that I called almost all of my relatives, to actually research about gun carry-ownership. This allowed me to stay calm and re-focus

One thing about Justin, opposite his brother, he is not really gung ho. He is very passive and took the time to really debate within his mind, not only to own a gun, but actually carry. Because he works late hours and also makes deposits for the restaurant he manages, perhaps made him come to his decision

Thank You for your Sense of Empathy
    -Richard

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, mate. I didn't mean to suggest that it was. Only that I had started to use it as such, and then decided against.

I can only imagine. I would have to have vented as well, I'm sure.

Whatever it takes at a time like this.

Well, I dare say we'll all be thinking of you and yours. Here's to a full and speedy recovery.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

And vent with good reason. :cry:
    But the way I read your story, the fact of Justin having a gun made absolutely no difference. His gun never left his holster, you said, so the story isn't about concealed carry laws. It's about a criminal who committed two felonies, one of them against your friend's brother. And that makes us all pause. :cry:

8. Adrastia

Adrastia Valued Member

I'm so sorry this came to your friend, his family/friends and to you. When it happens, it's like an 18-wheeler hit everybody. Many here are thinking of you - we can deal with the other issues later, and we will. For now, this is a good place to vent - don't expect to make a whole lot of sense, you needn't. Say whatever you need to say, whatever would help you return to family and friends able to better help them, in any way they need. We're here to do the same for you.

9. 47MartialMan

Understood that from your revious post...

Hence at the end of mine in quoting:

Thank You for your Sense of Empathy
    -Richard

10. 47MartialMan

Justin was allowed visitors last night. I went to see him. I went to his bedside and immediately he started to explain how he "shoulda, coulda, woulda" or how he "did everything wrong".

I could only reply: "Hey, you are alive, and that's everything that went "right"

Though it was not my intention, everyone in the room, including the nurse, went teary eyes

11. 47MartialMan

Update: Justin is doing well. he will be released from the hospital soon. When someone asked will he still own/carry a gun, his answer was yes. His mother was not happy about that