Trying to decide, again

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last time I did I was still learning Shotokan Karate. But, after having gone back to the style after having stepped away from it I have decided that I do want to persue another style. Shotokan is just not for me anymore.

I have boiled it down to Aikido or Muay Thai. So Im trying to decide which one I want to study. I've studied Muay Thai in the past. I like it and I know it's street effective. But, I have been fascinated with Aikido for many years.

I know that lots of people think that Aikido is not effective for street self defense. Some think it is. Honestly at this point I don't know. What do you all think?

Not sure if you all remember my situation but I have tendonitis in both of my wrists. So that is a factor. So Im not sure which would be harder on my wrists, Muay Thai or Aikido. I also have a bad lower back and bad left knee. But I want to study one of these 2 styles.

So, I would like to know what you all think. Which of these 2 styles is best for being able to defend oneself in a fight, is something a person can study for life, and has the most positive long term effects on the person studying it?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A professional MT fighter told me that the life time of MT can only last for 6 years. Even within that 6 years, everyday after training he had to take Thai body massage to recover his body abuse. He was a professional MT fighter so I assume he told me the truth. May be you should take that as consideration.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The one that you actually stick with, of course.

Go to a boxing gym that trains fighters, but sign up for an exercise program that includes instructional classes with the coaches. And then do it for a year.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That's possibly the competitive life of an elite competitor in Thailand. I know lots of people who've done Muay Thai 3-5 days a week for 30 years.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A professional competetive fighter would train very different to someone a few times a week. They train for hours on end every day.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Agreed and not to forget the bodily trauma of the fights themselves!

Out of the two I think you have better chance if of finding a functional MT gym than Aikido dojo but it seems you might have other considerations. Just try what you can reasonably get to and see what resonates.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Try them both. See if your back can handle taking ukemi in aikido class.

But ten to one, you won't find the sort of training that prepares you to actually apply the techniques in aikido. And until you have that honesty in your training, all the spiritual benefits, character building, fitness and especially understanding you may be pursuing will be tainted at best.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Unless it's a tomiki school. I hear they're quite honest in their training.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Rehab your body for six months, then try both, then do what you enjoy the most.