try this...

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikinoob, Apr 10, 2004.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

um...ok so post the videos already :)

2. Budd

Budd Valued Member

I'm waiting to see it myself! I don't have the technology personally (although I have an x-box), so I have to rely on me mates to get it filmed and convert it to a digital format and then get it hosted . . . .

Patience is not one of my virtues . . . . :Alien:

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Not a prob mate. I just get sick of people coming into the Aikido forum saying 'in MT or BJJ we do this' and then go on to say that those methods are vastly superior. In saying that I practice BJJ and used to train MT as well (one day I'll actually bother filling out my profile ;) ).

But first and foremost this is the place to discuss Aikido, I'm sure you can appreciate my concerns :)

Col

4. Tomiki Ryu

Tomiki Ryu New Member

Wow, this thread turned into a ridiculous debate, lol. Budd, I see where your trying to come from but it just ain't workin' brother. Square peg...round hole...Ukemi is NOT a counter.

5. Budd

Budd Valued Member

*throws hands in the air in frustration*

Okay then, MY ukemi is a counter.

6. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

ummmm, my ukemi is also a counter. we are taught to take ukemi in order to receive technique but also as a way to help your partner correct mistakes in execution. the process of discovering and verbalizing these mistakes allows counters to the techniques to develop as a secondary product but the inevitable conclusion is that ukemi begins to take advantage of the weaknesses in a particular technique and becomes to some degree a counter.
    so while the majority of the time the main emphasis may be on helping your partner, the ability to counter the technique does not go away.

which is what got me onto the standing keylock in the first place...

next time i'll just keep it to myself as the majority of you are so advanced you would never need it anyway :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  7. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Please don't. I, for one, very much liked the idea (which led me into the ukemi-as-counter ball'o'wax) and said so from the beginning.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No aikinoob feel free to express your opinions and ideas. That is what the forum is for. Not everybody is always going to agree with you but that's just life. If we don't exchange ideas then there's no point in the forum being here.