"Truth in the martial way"

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by EvilhomerNZ, Jul 10, 2007.

1. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

Hey all,

Bit of a random request, we had this in my old dojo as a quote by O Sensei. I have sighted it in a book I originally read before I got into aikido.

I have since moved town's and I cannot go back to the dojo nor can I find a copy of that book. Since then I have not seen it quoted in any books I can find in any libraries in my small town.

Could anyone provide me with the accurate translation of this, also if possible could someone provide me/link me to the Kanji and katakana for this saying.

I am at a loss as to how to find it but it has striken me as one of the best quotes / phrases I have ever heard.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

2. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

What context was the statement made ? I can give you a literal word for word translation from English to Nihongo but it is unlikely they will have the meaning behind the words of the founder.. and .. more importantly, the sentiment by which they were said.

Was the founder saying that aikido was the "true martial way" ?

Was the founder merely referring to the "truth" of one's self discovered through martial study ?

3. EvilhomerNZ

I believe the most accurate description is the second one.

Most of the statement I believe refers to finding "truth" or the true path in the way of Budo.

Of course this is based on the context etc at the time.. As mentioned I have not seen it since then. :(

4. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Ok, then what you're proberbly looking for is masakatsu agatsu - true victory is victory over one's self. Whilst that doesn't mention budo directly, the context is of course that we find truth in ourself through our training as this exposes the very nature of our charactor, we aim to triumph over the struggle which we endure through our journey, the reality is of course that ultimately never happens (unless we stop learning and start pontificating)

Here is the kanji:

正勝吾勝

And in image form if you do not have Nihongo installed on your PC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  5. EvilhomerNZ

You sir, are a gentleman and scholar!

That is very much appreciated Koryu, you seem very well spoken in both Japanese and English, which one is your native language if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again!

6. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

You're very welcome. どうも有難う御座いました and English is my first language.