Trump is really smart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Dead_pool

3. Dead_pool

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In Trump's defence, Americans being gunned down daily and doing nothing about it isn't a new phenomenon. I still respect his copy and paste tweet as the most genuine honest response I've seen from a politician when "thoughts and prayers" means chuff all and no one wants to do anything about it and its just another day in America. The nuclear war bit though, yeah that's been scary.

But then is that new either? Hearing Americans calling for hard power solutions up to the use of nukes also isn't new. Neither is there being neo nazis in America. Them being more vocal yes, but I can see merit in the argument that a militant left has added to that as much as Trump has. Now I think about it I'm not sure Trump being president has changed America at all

5. Dead_pool

Equal rights have created nazi?

Explain how that works again?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not saying much of it is new. Just saying that the view "he's doing a poor job" probably won't be shared by the people that voted for him. He's doing what they want as far as I can see.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Because shutting people down doesn't work. Telling people "you're wrong shut up" doesn't work. Not letting anyone who doesn't conform to the complete left's ideals speak at debates doesn't work. It festers anger ad that anger has to come out somewhere, and it pushes people who are on the fence onto the other side. Note I said the militant side of the left, not equal rights. It's not equal rights to prevent people speaking or shouting someone down before they can finish a sentence and sticking your fingers in your ears screaming because you don't like what someone is saying.

I don't think equal rights are to blame for Trump. I don't think the blame lies singularly with anyone. But I do think the climate we have now and the way people "debate" (read: they do not) has contributed to his election.

8. Dead_pool

He promised cheap health care, a return of American coal and manufacturing, to drain the swamp, to not take holidays and to not play golf.......

So far he's not got a single bill passed, plays golf all the time, takes holidays all the time, and has packed Washington with the worst unqualified people.

Is it that the people who voted for him don't know this, or are too blind to see?

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Some truth to it, yes. But it seemed to me last year (the election season) that Trump appealed to different people for different reasons. There's always exceptions when you paint with a broad brush, and this here study by its own admission is broad brush, so -- I just question how much weight to give it.

You know, couldn't the same be said of, say, the Green Party, and of groups like Greenpeace? Authoritarian Personality, Intergroup Contact, and Relative Deprivation sound like them, too. (The article even said that liberals have Authoritarian Personality.) Boom, there's 3 out of 5 right out of the box. ::shrug::

10. Dead_pool

Everyone has free speech, but what your saying is, those with extreme viewpoints, should always be given a platform?

Should Milo Y still have a platform?
    Should the KKK still have a platform?

11. aikiMac

That point bothers me a lot, and I mean a lot. I honestly expected Trump, the great businessman, to pick a great team. (sigh) He did the opposite. This is so messed up.

I think it's self-evident that Washington generally, but the White House specifically, is a "team sport." Nothing happens solo. Everything runs on a team, and Trump ... this is so messed up.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

How about one with a nice trapdoor and rope adornment?

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. aikiMac

I'd like to replace the word "given/give" with "allowed."

Say my friends and I have "Viewpoint," and you and your friends have "Opposite Viewpoint." My friends and I follow all of the local laws to the letter, for getting a permit to hold a rally in a public park. Say you and your friends see the advertisements about the rally, and decide to come to our rally openly armed with pistols, guns, bottles, knives, and Punisher-esque body armor. And you stand close to us. And yell at us. And tell us to get out of the park. "Go home!" Tell us we're not welcome here. And jeer us, and taunt us to "do something."

Who is the bad guy in that scenario? I submit, it's you and your friends. I agree with Southpaw: "Not letting anyone who doesn't conform to the complete Left's ideals speak at debates doesn't work. It festers anger and that anger has to come out somewhere."

14. Dead_pool

As long as both rallies have the required permits, then that's absolutely fine.

There's a difference between allowing a platform. And stopping freedom of speech, but it's not a freedom from consequences either.

Iirc at the white pride rally where the lady got killed. It was the white pride people with the body amour, guns, And threats.

15. Dead_pool

Are you saying you should be allowed to have a Nazi rally without a counter rally being allowed?

Or that the second amendment shouldn't be applied to rallies?

Or that if you have a Nazi rally, and violence happens, it's always the counter rallies fault?

16. aikiMac

(???) You're giving me the impression that you missed the point. Which part of my extreme hypothetical do you think was the "counter-rally"?

I don't remember. I'd have to look it up. But at subsequent rallies, I recall that the other side, the rally-crashers, brought weapons.

It's uncool to be a rally-crasher. That's my point. That's why my extreme hypo is generic. I don't care what "Viewpoint" and "Opposite Viewpoint" are. The rally-crashers in that hypo are mean people, and mean people suck. Having an extreme boundary (basically, The Punisher getting in their face and saying, "Leave. Now."), makes it clear. Then, in my mind, I pull the boundary back. What if there was no body armor, just weapons? What if there were no weapons, just threats? What if there were no threats, just loud taunts? What if instead of taunts, it was just noise that drowns out the speakers?

It's all bad, says me. I'll let you have your rally in peace, and you should let me have my rally in peace. Isn't that just basic human respect????

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Jonathan Pie has just nailed the Trump/Britain first situation. Can't link obviously as it's very sweary.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Dead_pool

Nope freedom of speech means you can have a rally, freedom of speech also means you can have a counter rally.

It's literally equal rights to everyone.

19. Dead_pool

Intolerance shouldnt be tolerated.

Im not down with the KKK and they're ilk being given spafe spaces.

Freedom of speech is exactly that, not freedom from consequences.

philosoraptor likes this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So we need to respect Nazis? All that world war 2 business was people just not giving those misunderstood nazis enough respect?

philosoraptor likes this.