Trump is really smart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Oct 14, 2017.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What part of democracy has sham trials again?

2. philosoraptor

It’s official: the Trump administration has replaced family separation with indefinite family detention

Well, we've got sham trials, and now indefinite detention.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Geez, what is wrong with these people?
    (Spoiler: I don't mean immigrants and the such!)

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

FB_IMG_1531247640849.jpg I havn't fact checked this to see if it's a real trump tweet, but the sentiment is right.

There's plenty on the left wing who are also anti science with GM crops etc

5. philosoraptor

The resolution was simply encouraging people to breast feed and said it was the healthiest option as far as I can tell.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Total straw man attack by Trump. The resolution was encouraging breastfeeding and barring dishonest advertising by formula companies (which were claiming that formula is as healthy, or healthier, than breast milk). Nothing in the resolution would have barred or restricted formula sales; it simply would have prohibited claims by formula companies that aren't backed by medical science.

When Ecuador put forth such a resolution (Latin America is a major market for US formula companies), we threatened to cut not only economic programs but military aid to the country. But when the exact same resolution was put forth by Russia instead of Ecuador, the Trump administration did not oppose it.

Hannibal and philosoraptor like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Perhaps their was a greater undercurrent to it?

If you read the many many comments online, formula is poison and causes cancer, as do all chemicals, but breast milk doesn't have chemicals and is natural so must be good for you in every situation.

Which is obviously very wrong.

A very very fair point, wierdly advertising formula is banned in the UK, to stop these issues, However formula does fulfill a very valid and important place in childhood nutrition. Not everyone is physically able to breastfeed.

Hannibal likes this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I know that; we had issues with our first child on that front and relied in part on formula. I would never support something that restricted access to formula. But this didn't do it; it prohibited misleading advertising by formula companies. Trump's tweet is a flat-out lie meant to conceal what was actually going on. Which is pretty much par for the course for Trump.

9. philosoraptor

I think you're being overly generous to Trump - everything I've read about the issue is similar to Mitlov's take.

The next frontier of Trump’s defense of baby formula

If Trump is really worried about impoverished mothers and children, well, I think that we would be looking at a very different set of policies.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Well I take back everything I'd said, trump literally hasn't even got an exception to prove the rule now.

Ps I remember the original campaign against nestle, I still refuse to buy anything they make now.

pgsmith and philosoraptor like this.
  11. philosoraptor

12. Dead_pool

13. philosoraptor

For some reason this doesn't seem unexpected to me.

pgsmith likes this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Is it? I see adverts (TV and print) for baby milk all the time. Aptamil, Cow and gate, etc.

15. Dead_pool

Smitfire likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

pgsmith likes this.
  17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm a card-carrying ACLU member and I agree with the distinction they are drawing here. These situations are not all alike, and there are some situations where it is entirely appropriate that reunification has not occurred, but other situations where it's deeply unjust and unjustifiable and the government appears to be in contempt of court.

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Dead_pool

Re breast feeding, and nothing to do with trump,

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/07/11/health/breastfeeding-parenting-strauss/index.html

19. Dead_pool

NPR Choice page

Well this is fun isn't it.

Trump meant to say it was Russia, but got confused and said he didn't know any reason why it wouldn't, wasn't or was it Russia..... He's got the biggliest words

"
    Before a meeting with GOP lawmakers on Tuesday, Trump told reporters that he misspoke in Helsinki and that when he said he saw no reason why it "would" be Russia that interfered, he meant to say he saw no reason why it "wouldn't."

Trump added that he has "full faith and support for America's great intelligence agencies."

"I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that Russia's meddling in the 2016 election took place," Trump said, but then, calling into question the extent of his acceptance, he added that it "could be other people also, there are a lot of people out there."

(also he's definetly lying)

Mitlov and Hannibal like this.
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

54504C36-AFEE-48B6-8B98-F2B82D00E1F2.jpeg

Mitlov and pgsmith like this.