Trump by name......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Given the amoral behaviour of most businesses, I'm not sure that success in that field necessarily leads to good politicians. I think it's a mistake to think of running a country as being equivalent to running a business.

On the other hand, the relatively recent birth of career politicians and the political class is equally problematic.

I think Plato was right; anyone who wants to be a politician should not be allowed.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I want to be one :(

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

This is the biggest problem with the American system and it's the simplest problem to fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I think equally id want someone with experience in civil service actually running the country. i'd want a technocracy where politicians were actually those who were experienced in policy making EDIT: and in business/finances.
    It's the only reason i'm okay with Cameron in charge of our country - he's pretty well qualified for the role (unlike IDS)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Trump maybe a lightening rod or stage illusionist

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

am i good or what.

and like i said, a cruz candidacy scares me more because i think he's an extreme right-winger, borderline fascist.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I don't say you're wrong, but is there any candidate running for Rep you would vote for? How about any Dem candidate?

Every two years it's the same for me: I dislike the Rep and Dem candidates equally, but for different reasons. I feel like Goldilocks -- this one is too hard, and this one too soft, and this one too hot, and this one too cold. :mad: :mad:

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't personally care about party affiliation. and i have voted republican in the past. my problem right now is conservatives and conservatism in general and the anti-freedom and the punishing the poor (i.e. black people) agenda that conservatives are espousing.

yeah, right now i would vote for hillary clinton. she's got loads of experience and i think could be a good executive. i'm not a bernie sanders fan personally. but i appreciate his candor.

there is no one even close on the republican side. when i look at all the candidates, i think it's pretty sad that i have to go down to john kasich, who polled at 1.9%, to find someone that i could vote for.

9. aikiMac

LOL, I admit that so have I! :p

The anti-freedom is what makes me hate the Republican Party, going back at least 15 years now. :woo:

:jawdrop: No. I can't follow you there. There's no way I would vote for her. I have zero trust in her, the current reason being the felony splashed all over the newspapers right now. I worked for seven years in the aerospace industry in a "Bat Cave" computer place where everything required a security clearance. I can tell you that if she wasn't such a high-profile politician, she would have been arrested and charged with a felony months ago.

If I was registered as a Republican, I'd vote Trump because I love his candor. We actually know where he stands. Politicians hide and dodge and hem and haw and don't shoot straight. Trump shoots straight. I'll gladly give that a try for four years, because what we've been getting is crap. :mad:

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

That's not the impression I've gotten of Trump at all. He seems more like a cynical manipulator who realizes that by giving voice to the most strident and hysterical portions of his party he can at once dominate the news cycle, motivate the base and appear to be on the forefront of the pack of raving racists and fascists that is the Republican nominee pool.

11. aikiMac

And freak out everyone else because they can't control him. That's the part I like -- the people who are accustomed to controlling the Republican Party have thus far failed to control him.

A long time ago someone said to me, and it stuck, that the definition of "stupid" is doing the same thing but expecting a different outcome. I don't like the outcome from either major party, and I ain't "stupid" anymore. :D I'll gladly try something else once, and see how it goes.

12. philosoraptor

Sarah Palin had the same effect and would qualify as something different. Which of Trump's views do you support?

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Lol@ Trump "shooting straight". He will suck all the money he can if he's elected. People seem to think because he has more money he's not interested in lying. Men with power only want more power. He will do things like legalise fracking, start wars with other countries over oil (he has actually said this). He is willing to kill for money. He will drop the standards for sanitation. Make your tap water undrinkable whilst claiming that he's improved health standards (much the same way David Cameron has helped the poverty stricken, which is by changing the definition).

Seriously if you vote for Trump you are against equality, fairness, Justice, and pretty much any social construct designed to give everyone a chance of a good life.

14. aikiMac

LOL, you're describing the Rep and Dem we've had for decades, right down to undrinkable water! :D I quit that game.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Voting for Trump as a protest vote is like "wetting your bed" as a protest for bad service in a hotel, your still left with a "wet bed."
    And by wet I don't mean water.

16. philosoraptor

Yo Chadderz, you know that fracking is legal in the US right? Not that it should be.

17. philosoraptor

The problem with a straight shooting fascist is he's still a fascist.

18. aikiMac

That is true, but does it help solve the problem of two bad parties? :dunno:

Defund Planned Parenthood. It's a politeness issue. Something that controversial ought not be tax-supported -- out of politeness, respect, for one's fellow citizens.

Cut the entire Dept of Education. It never should have existed in the first place. There's no rational argument for why it should be a federal issue rather than a State issue, and in the name of truth and honesty no one can say that involving the federal government in local schools has improved American education. It's quite the opposite, really. :bang:

Jointly with that Common Core has to go, but the point above would make Common Core exclusively a State issue.

I agree with him that China is beating us on trade, on manufacturing, and I believe Trump when he says that he can beat China.

Remove the federal restrictions on guns. It was not supposed to be a federal issue, nor should it be a federal issue. It should be a State issue only. Also, it's a self-defense issue. All of my MAP friends who don't see that it's a self-defense issue are hypocritical and blind. There, I said it. I'm sorry, but it's true. :bang:

Get rid of Obamacare. It's already proven to be a disaster and a lie. Trump proposes replacing it with Health Savings Accounts. For almost a year I've had one of those through my job, and so far I like it, so I'm willing to listen to him describe that idea further.

Repeal the estate tax. It's bad policy. It's rude. It's double taxation.

That's a good start. :)

19. philosoraptor

The policies that Trump has discussed in his campaign, deporting every illegal immigrant, would demand a massive domestic surveillance campaign and a military campaign operating on our doorsteps. I don't really have historic events to compare it to except for some very shameful episodes. The invocation of these measures does not seem to be aimed at fixing a great problem within society, but only to mobilize a very racist contingent of the base of the Republican party. Endorsing this because it represents something different seems shortsighted.

Evolution is controversial, ought it to be cut from school curricula out of politeness? After all, curricula doesn't even have ramifications on people's health. If we're willing to say that some people shouldn't receive medical treatment out of deference to other people's opinions, why shouldn't that effect teaching as well?

Are we cool with the south becoming a cesspool of religious instruction?

Why?

Let's start with talking those :]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  20. aikiMac

I disagree that it has to be that way. For many years I worked criminal appeals as court-appointed counsel, and being that I was in Arizona a large percentage of the cases concerned illegal aliens. Almost all of the aliens had a criminal record besides merely being an illegal alien, and almost all of them had remained in the US after being caught. Proposal: Let's actually deport the illegal aliens that we catch -- or, alternatively, repeal the law so that they're not "illegal" anymore and then it won't even be an issue. But just deporting every one we catch will significantly reduce the number of illegal aliens in the country, and as a bonus it will reduce crime overall.

I reject how you framed the issue and your comparison, and I am surprised that you would even say it. You know full well that a huge portion of the country and the world sees the issue as murdering children with taxpayer money. There are, what, 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world, almost 70 million of them in the USA, plus all the Eastern Catholics in the world, plus all the Eastern Orthodox Christians in the world (200-300 million, depending on the source), plus some of the Protestants (Southern Baptists, for example; that's the largest Protestant body in the USA) -- and we haven't even counted other religions yet. A very significant portion of not only the USA but of the world see abortion as murder of children, and for that reason they morally object to taxpayer funded abortions, and you dare frame it as a mere medical treatment?!?! What?! That's what I'm talking about when I speak of politeness!

Hey, if it's such a big deal, fund PP through charity. Certainly there are enough like-minded people who will donate to it. Problem solved. That's all we have to do to stop the shouting matches every four years. Seriously, problem solved.

I object to how you frame the question, but as a general matter, governmental functions should always be pushed as close as home as possible. Education can be handled locally, and therefore it should be handled locally. There is no reason whatsoever for the Senators in Maine to get involved in New Mexico's school system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.