Trump by name......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I know he isn't.

A policy aimed at an entire group due to the actions of a few led to the internment of japanese americans during WW2 (pretty much all of which were loyal american citizens with equal rights to any other country man and many proved their worth and loyalty tenfold by serving their country when they had every right to be resentful)

A vetting system should be based on intelligence e.g. the government agencies doing their job when visa applications are made.
    If the proposed vetting system is anything like the current security system, e.g. a crappy broad strokes discriminatory no fly list, then this isn't at all based on intelligence but racial profile i.e. look brown guy

This isn't about security, this is about winning votes by appealing to racists.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

He was charismatic, which must have helped his negotiations with foreign powers, but in what way do you mean he could govern?

Weren't his main electoral promises reduction of the deficit, making abortion illegal, instituting prayer in schools and winning the war on drugs?

I'm glad he was so impressionable, because that led him to negotiate with the Soviet Union and push for nuclear disarmament:

"...Reagan, who had long harbored a genuine terror of nuclear war reflected in his decades-old belief — often ignored by backers on the right — that nuclear weapons should eventually be abolished. The terror had its roots, as did many of Reagan’s inclinations, in movies. According to Colin Powell, national security advisor from 1987 to 1989, Reagan had been deeply affected by the 1951 film The Day the Earth Stood Still, in which space aliens warn earthlings that unless they stop settling their conflicts through war, the powers that be in the galaxy will destroy their planet. (During his presidency, Reagan repeatedly invoked the prospect of an alien invasion as a reason for the United States and the Soviet Union to overcome their differences. Whenever he did, Powell would mutter, "Here come the little green men.")

In 1983, two movies triggered Reagan’s latent anti-nuclear views: Matthew Broderick’s WarGames, which portrays a young computer hacker who almost starts a nuclear war, and ABC’s The Day After, which depicts Lawrence, Kansas, in the aftermath of one. For Reagan, who didn’t draw a sharp contrast between reality and celluloid (he once told Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir that he had visited Nazi concentration camps when in reality he had only seen them on film), the movies were chilling. Soon after viewing The Day After, Reagan attended a briefing on U.S. military procedure in the event of a Soviet attack, as if the doomsday movies were playing out before him in real life."

- http://foreignpolicy.com/2010/06/07/think-again-ronald-reagan/

Unfortunately, he was not such a peacenik when it came to Central and South America or Afghanistan. The continued support of the School of the Americas in the propping up and training of dictators and paramilitaries, CIA drug running and the thousands disappeared should be enough to condemn him.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Polls don't mean anything. This time of year, the media and their polls always think they know who is going to be the candidate and they are often wrong.

The first two primaries also usually have winners that usually don't get picked as the candidate if I recall correctly. (I should go double check that.)

Sorry, I still don't take Trump as a serious candidate- I just don't believe the polls. I think he has a following of extremists, but I don't think really stands a chance of winning.

Gods help us Americans if I am wrong.

4. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

If Trump breaks with the Republicans is there any impediment to running as an independent? Bernie Sanders seems to be practically speaking an independent but is running as a Democrat. Is this just to get the Democratic base who might not vote if its not a Democrat, or is it required?

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

absolutely. his administration did many things that i disagree with. our foreign policy in latin american and the middle east, the domestic policies he implemented.

but the thing is he worked together with the other side. in order for negotiations to work, both sides need to get something. social security funding was spared, amnesty given to undocumented immigrants, taxes were raised to cover some of the deficit, and more.

compare reagan and o'neill negotiations wtih the obama/boehner budget negotiations. obama offered the republican house 3 dollar reduction in social spending for a 1 dollar increase in income taxes. and boehner and his caucus said no. talk about grabbing defeat out of the jaws of victory. obama, democratic party president--threw both fdr and lbj under the bus and got refused.

as someone who works in capital markets industry--you know, the 'free market'--i love the affordable care act. why don't we as a country have exchanges for our health care insurance. why should my health care by coupled to my employment? why should health insurance be able to refuse me because i got sick once.

but the republican strategy these last 7 years has just been "no", no matter how good an idea is.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I know this. Throwing in the way others think in my work place

7. David Harrison

Yeah, you're right that Reagan's approach was definitely less kindergarten point-scoring.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I know Iowa is first, but I don't remember offhand quite where New Hampshire falls. It's one of the early ones, though, and it tends to pick the ultimate winner.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Trump is going to reverse Obama's mess (quote by cohort)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  10. Giovanni

you mean like 5% unemployment after the worst recession in almost 100 years? the guy that's gone into bankruptcy four times. nice. good luck with that.

11. David Harrison

This is politics, man.

Pick a tribe and ignore all facts :p

12. Giovanni

even forbes, not exactly a bastion of "liberalism", know it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar...performs-reagan-on-jobs-growth-and-investing/

money quote...

13. Giovanni

but you know, obama is an evil muslim communist hell-bent on destroying america and pallin' around with terrorists.

wonder if he palled around with bin laden. probably.

14. Giovanni

mitt romney in 2012

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

From an outsider's perspective, I've had the impression Obama has been an alright president. It seems the critics lambasting him as the worst thing to happen to America fall into a few camps: Outright racists (not saying this is a big factor, but those people do exist), people who will always hate him because he's from the wrong party, people who blindly ignore the issues he had with the Republicans effectively blocking everything regardless of whether it was a good idea or not, and people who see problems and decide its his fault they exist. Or that its his fault they still exists, while ignoring what is practical and possible. My impression, from the limited attention I pay to America and American news, is that the country is better now for the most part than it was when he first entered office. I think that means he can leave with his head high and should be able to do so while receiving some level of respect and appreciation from the public.

Sure he might not have made things perfect, and maybe he fell short of the rhetoric of his first campaign, but if he made the country better, by whatever margin, then he did his job.

16. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

I don't think it's a worst part of America thing brother, every country has a good portion of people who think the way Donald Trump is preaching. I think the UK also has a similar problem with folks who for whatever reason want to stop all immigration and seal off the border. Of course some of that is driven by fear of security but a lot is bigotry or racism. Almost half a million (450K) have signed this one, but it was rejected by the government.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107516

So if Donald Trump was running for Parliament today, I think he'd have quite a big following. He's running on pure ego isn't he, and that could evaporate at any time, and whatever train of followers he has when that does will still be fired up to vote. He's whipping the base as they say, whether or not Donald is final GOP candidate is kind of irrelevant. He's getting the voters fired up so come next November those mobs are going to swarm the polls and whoever is running for GOP is going to benefit from that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Of course. I mean the worst parts of America simply as the worst things in America itself, not that they're an American only problem. I see enough Britain First posts on facebook and read enough Daily Mail comment chains to know bigotry isn't a US only problem.

We had a similar thing here when Nigel Farage was at his peak. He was never being considered as a serious contender to run for PM though.

18. David Harrison

A little comic relief :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_Jdts5rL0"]DARTH TRUMP - Auralnauts - YouTube[/ame]

19. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Politicians are all paid off, and don't represent the people. They spend a high majority of there time raising money to stay in office, so they are just bought Off stooges.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

It would be nice to get someone in office with common sense, that could and would address the high cost of healthcare, instead of increasing the cost , and making Health insurance more unaffordable , along with worse polices, and really only making all poor people sign up for Medicare or medical plans.

I like that quote from Obama, "no ones policies will be canceled", some people just have no credability.

Politicians should show some kind of background , that shows they can accomplish some Degree of success In business on their own without being supported by the government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.