Training unit near extinction. Need advice...

Discussion in 'Silat' started by hottdogg, Dec 28, 2005.

1. hottdogg

hottdogg Valued Member

Guys, I need advice and suggestion from a more global perspective.

I do silat perisai diri(PD). It's Been about 1 year.

The training place (dojo) where I practice used to be solid, good participation, nice atmosphere. Now, in the edge of extinction especially for the public. Only 2-3 students . Running Class is already a blessing.
    Fyi,My training place is on the office building yard not like formal indoor studio or dojo

Some points:
    1.My main teacher(A) wasn't working in this office building until about 6 month ago where he has been worked as a security chief of the buliding management. In the last 6 months he has bring 2 PD teachers(B and C) to work there also.

2.Sme good students that work in 1 of a company in that building, now are busy. Don't have time. But they don't intend to quit.

3.Security guard in that building are obligated to train in PD and train routinely every Monday and Saturday morning whereas for the public are wednesday and Friday night.

Now, sometimes the class is available sometime don't and I hate that. ANd I can't protest too to the A because we the students pay voluntary to run this unit.THe public students that still and want active are 3 persons including me. SInce A work in this building he delegates the public teaching to B. C teaches security guard. C allows 3 of us to train with securty guard every Monday and Saturday morning. I can accept only for the Saturday. Actually I can and had done training in other more active units, my silat allows the student to do that(Thou may seek teachers ). But I feel sorry for my main training unit.It's my base. I feel I have to do something for it.
    I talked already to the B (A is so busy, hard to meet with him, let alone lengthy talk), casually, about the situation for the public class and he said something like "yeah it's kinda difficult to promote for white collar worker (Yuppies were / are their target market)bla..bla..bla.. people would interested if they see many students training...blablabla".
    ANd then I thought to myself "Duh..!! "

You know, I think because of 3 of my instructors work in that building is the root of the problem, I don't know. I shouldn't have made a wrong assumption.
    What an ironic!! 3 instructors, virtually no student. Who's fault is this?
    Anwyay, I,along with my 2 mates should discuss this with A. but you know A...

MY point question here is:
    How to make the public class vibrant again like it used to be?
    Can u guys give me suggestion what the next step should I take?

Thanx in advance for any input.

2. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

he said something like "yeah it's kinda difficult to promote for white collar worker (Yuppies were / are their target market)bla..bla..bla.. people would interested if they see many students training...blablabla".
    ANd then I thought to myself "Duh..!! "

You know, I think because of 3 of my instructors work in that building is the root of the problem, I don't know. I shouldn't have made a wrong assumption.
    What an ironic!! 3 instructors, virtually no student. Who's fault is this?
    Anwyay, I,along with my 2 mates should discuss this with A. but you know A...

MY point question here is:
    How to make the public class vibrant again like it used to be?
    Can u guys give me suggestion what the next step should I take?

salaam hormat,

For me it seems your instructor has a point- class sizes are always fluctuating up and down - as long as there is still an instructor there to train you whats the problem - if no one else except you & the instructor turns up for training lucky you , -you get personal 1 on 1 tuition - that costs double, even triple over here ¿

It is good that you feel responsibility towards the class so just make sure you still turn up regularly- bring a friend.
    The key to a sucessful class in my book is regularity - if people know you are there , they will come , sometimes more , sometimes less ,dont worry about it.
    The important thing is your own training - are you learning, understanding more , are you improving , do you enjoy it ?
    These are the important issues in learning a martial art - the social side not the main issue, either its there or its not, and I know that in the keluarga PD it is most definitely there.
    My advice - Stick at it , nothing stays the same - but if you really dont enjoy it any more - do something else .
    Salaams

sulaiman

3. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

i dont know if you are in the usa or not,but your style is not very big here in the u.s..if you are in the u.s. do what it takes to preserve your beautiful art...choose those with a clean heart they will help you.......

4. hottdogg

hottdogg Valued Member

Long story short, its slowly getting back to normal again. *phew* Thank God.