Training in the Philippines: how to?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by salami, Apr 26, 2006.

1. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Cebu or Manila? The nice thing in Cebu - you can find more FMA "packages" (training, accomodations, etc.) The nice thing in Manila, you get to meet some of the crazy guys here in MAP

2. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

2 peso is mora

3. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Please stop posting inviting outside contact. If you have info to share, do it in the thread.

I've already posted about this and I don't want to lock this thread

4. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

sorry boss ;) , the 2 pesos thing is just a joke here in Philippines, its a bar but cheap bar where you can dance w/ girls if you havbe a ticket worth 2 pesos. So we are just joking for they sometime refer to Airforce1 bar where it is really expensive, :cool: .

thanks, just clarification & as you advised, we will not invite outside contact, after you have said that, the next post was meant only as a joke to keep the thread lively. If we still as you think that we disregard the rule, the sorry :Angel:

5. weebear

weebear Valued Member

Sorry me bad, suppose I should read the rules, won't happen again. :rolleyes:

6. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

my granfather is Philippino and when my grandmother goes ( shes american ) they say they love her and almost all Americans my grandmother says they love the fair skin or somthing about American skin, I think she is talking about being white or somthing? Not to sure how they feel about Ukers but I here its a great palce to pick up women

7. Scotty Dog

Hi Pinoy, Don't worry about it, I wasn't refering to your post, theres a couple of other posts that I've edited that were asking for PM's or e-mails for details of training locations. That's what we mean by outside contact.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yep, what Hig said.

One of the purposes of the forum is to help spread the word about the arts within our community. The information asked for should be posted freely in the forum so that everybody can see it. This way the information spreads even further, which can only benifit those involved.

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

They love us UKers, more than you USers:p , the Pinoys are just freindly, but we have an advatage over you guys we can teach them how to speak real English;) With many different dialects that even we have trouble understanding. (only joking)

Anyway I would say do both Manila and Cebu, both have quite a clooection of top Masters and Styles, I would personally spend more time in Cebu simply because it is more laid back, not so rush rush as the capital, and it has some of the best beaches. It is also cheaper in Cebu too for just about everything.

If you are only there for 2 weeks, yes you can learn something but the longer you are there the more you can learn, I always go for around 5 to 6 weeks at a time.

The other thing about going for 2 weeks is you have to remember from the UK it will take at least a day to get there and a day to get back, and when you do get there it will take you a day or so to recover from the travelling and could take you a couple of days to finally hook up with a school, after all if you are not in the know as they say, it can be difficult to track down instructors. So you could find that you may well waste up to a week of travelling, recovering and searching for an instructor, hence I always go for 5 to 6 weeks.

The nice thing is, you can spend 4 to 5 weeks in the PI and spend far less than having 2 weeks holiday in Spain, and that includes air flights, accomadation and the obligatory beer tokens. And then you also get more time to train and relax.

I am back out again this December, and staying this time for the Sunilog in Cebu, any UKers would like to come along???

Best regards

Pat

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2006
  10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

Hi Pat! Actually, it's "sinulog".

ElHig, so what you mean is that we can post contact details of guys we recommend here in the forums?

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Ooop's:eek: My spelling has never been the best.

Consider me slapped on the back of the wrist.:D

Best regards

Pat

12. Scotty Dog

If it's in responce to a question, yes. We do prefer it if you do not post phone numbers or e-mail addresses for obvious reasons (Training locations & times are prefered).

Also if we suspect that a thread or question is a "Sneaky Advert", it will be removed as per the Terms of Service.

hope that helps

13. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

When you say crazy bro! are you serious or ina sense of pinoy humor....Seryoso kasi ako ngayon.....

Manila is the best training venue if and if only the trainors and the practitioners will take it seriously, coz you can go one after the another master for whole two weeks. 2-3 days per styles is enough if you are already a master of the Art and just digging/picking as i say styles and techniques from the sysytem...

Cheers Bro..... :Angel: :woo: :Angel:

14. Scotty Dog

can we have this in english please ?

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

rey said: i'm serious now.

16. Scotty Dog

Ta Shooto :D

17. 101madfilipinos

101madfilipinos New Member

"Training in the Philippines: how to?"

3 Easy Steps

1)Go to Philippines
    2)Find willing instructor (optional)
    3)Train

;)

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it would be more efficient if you found one before going. i suggest you do a web search and look for a a teacher before going. contact them and arrange for a rate and a tenure.

you can do what 101madfilipinos is saying. it's just not as efficient.

19. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

When: anytime. we only have 2 season here, wet or dry. So it really doesn't matter.

Where: Manila has a lot of good schools, and almost all styles have a representative in the city. I had a list of Manila FMA schools online and I'll see if I post it again.

How: PM the Manila residents here. I'm sure they will be glad to help you find a good teacher.

How long: that depends entirely on you. Best to tell your teacher how long you expect to stay, so there's some agreement on how long you'll be training with him or her.

as for the post training R & R, I leave it to the other Manila guys here. I've taken a sabbatical from excessive alcohol consumption, for health reasons.

:)

20. salami

salami Banned Banned

thanx a lot for the replies

right now i'm still working to get the money for the trip :D