Training for Terets Syndrome

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by kgarcia, Oct 8, 2004.

1. kgarcia

kgarcia New Member

Has anyone done any class training for any persons with Terets Syndrome. Someone has asked if we can teach someone martial arts with Terets Syndrome to help boost morale and confidence. I have never had to teach anyone with this syndrome and would appreciate any and all feedback>

2. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Tourette's syndrome is a tic (involuntary movement) disorder that is most famous for its 'colorful verbal outbursts'. There should be little or no difficulty including a student with this condition as long as"

1.) The other class members can ignore the occasional profanity

2.) There is understanding that occasional involuntary movements (tics, grimaces, twitches) will occur.

Most people with Tourrette's are cognitively normal.

With focus, they can even control to a degree the involuntary actions.

This may be difficult with a young group, but other than that, it should be very achievable.

Matt

3. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

mahmoud abdul rauf, who suffers from tourett's, played basketball in the NBA for years.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

5. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Our Sensei would take on people with a variety of physical and psychological conditions, including TS, schizophrenia, depression, epilepsy, post-traumatic stress (military) etc. MA helped them all by giving them focus and dignity.

It was incredible to see guys who had 'form' for GBH etc. working with them in a patient and empathetic way. Everyone benefits and I would encourage any dojo with reservations to consider taking on such students. To see someone who could not originally co-ordinate their limbs (and who often drifted off into other worlds) managing a Blue Belt grading is worth more IMHO than a score of 'ordinary' folk gaining a Black Belt.

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

We have a very important member of our staff at my husband's company who has Tourette's. The only thing we have ever had to do was make sure that everyone knows that the tics are involuntary and the occasional outbursts are not personal. His cognitive skills, concentration levels, etc. are all perfectly normal. So besides letting those that will train with him know so they are understanding, I don't think teaching the student will be any different than any other student.

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Thank you very much for the link KC. Someone in the family was recently diagnosed
    with TS. The article will be helpful.