Training for tai sabaki?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by crash76, Dec 30, 2013.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Nope, wouldn't annoy because, as usual Fish, you are right on the money ;)

Much of our terminology and technique derives from Koryu Bujutsu - even down to our most basic of stepping punches "Junzuki" - arrising from the older terminology of "Jun" meaning to have same side arm and leg forward!

Back onto the subject though, I didn't get chance to read everyone’s post last night, as I crashed out early (heavy NYE the night before), but Karatesloth and Arthurking both hit on a vital point namely, always training with "Sei Chu Sen" or correct centre line.

In most Wado dojo this is introduced from day one (albeit students probably don't realise it at the time). Essentially it is an imaginary line dissecting your body in half from top to bottom (running a line down ones nose). When engaging with an opponent the "Sei chu sen" become dynamic – essentially both players are on the same line and the objective is to work around it whilst attacking and defending.

In swordsmanship, owning the centre line is key to your survival over that of an opponent – this is most probably where the idea of Wado-ryu’s Nagashizuki originates from - as it is NOT a wholesale sideways shift of the body, but rather a rotation of your centre around the attack thus avoiding your opponents attack (letting it flow by) - whilst simultaniously counter attacking.

Centre line training is a vital piece of kit in combat but also during keiko - as it gives you a floor plan to work to.

You don’t however need a partner to understand this principle (albeit to actually realise it one helps). You should train kihon utilising correct centre line up and down the Dojo - this helps you to embed the idea into your head.

As an aside - I don't like using the expression "footwork" to descipe how to do Taisabaki as to me that’s the tail wagging the dog. The feet should go where the body needs them to - not the other way around.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Crash, I still have little idea of your ability/level, 3 years could mean anything- once a month, once week, 5 times a week? Do you have a kyu grade, have you got any katas that you really know with confidence? You say you do lots of Ippon Kumite, can you find some Youtube video close to what you do? Also maybe a website for your club or association?

No offence to you, i'm just trying to get a clear picture of how you can be doing Karate for 3 years and not have been taught to block/evade effectively?

3. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

No offence at all mate. I'm a 4th kyu I think, train two times a week at my club and do kate about 3 times a week at home on my own. I know all the heian kata, as well as Tekki shodan/nidan, empi, bassai dai and jion (shotokan system). The last three i know the moves, but dont actually "know" the kata intimatley.

I do know how to block and evade, but we dont get shown actually how. As in we dont get shown "step this way with your right foot, turn your body this way, then bring your left foot up to hear to keep balance and then step this way to counter attack...."

As i said in an earlier post, we get told "get out of the way and then counter attack". So i can do that, no problem, but i dont feel like i'm being shown the technical side of it. With things like kihon, we get shown the correct posture for a stance, correct way to hold a fist, exaclty how to move your hands when doing a block etc, but when it comes to footwork theres nothing........just "get out of the way". I was hoping there was some specific exercsies to do that help with how to actually move out of the way like with the other aspects of karate which are quite specific.

Hope that makes sense!

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

What GaryWado said. Especially this:

Which is a ghastly word I can neither pronounce or spell properly most days so I tend to avoid using it ;)

Sorry to pry, but you "think"? Do you have a certificate/stripes on a belt/some other markings?

I have to admit, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude because that is not my intent, but I am struggling to understand how an instructor could be so rigid with kihon waza, but when it comes to applying that kihon waza outside of the usual line work then not go into detail.

It might be worth asking your instructor after class for pointers, tips, anything useful they can offer. Letting you work out your own method is one thing, but most students do need some guidance to help them figure out their own method in the first place.

5. crash76

crash76 Valued Member

I keep forgetting what the kyu ranks are with my belt. I am a green belt at the moment, we start as no belt, grade for white, then yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, brown 1/2 stripes then black.

Definatley not being rude, and its the lack of specific instruction which has made me ask this question! I completley agree that its strange not to get taught the how.

Its funny, all our ippon/sanbon/jiu kumite is actually all jiu kumite anyway, the way we are taught. We never do the SKIF method, where you know where the attack is coming from and in general what it will be. Essentially its all jiu kumite just either one step or three/5 step kumite.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014