Training footage

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Hannibal, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is a sneak peek at some DVD footage we will be relasing soon. It is a features Singh as defender and some of the JKDAA gang as attackers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfZtY7A920"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfZtY7A920[/ame]

The direction given by Singh was "hit me"....that's it. No restriction on technique save those imposed by the helmet and gloves. A few guys end up out of the game psychologically quite early on, but who can blame them? It's akin to being in tehre with a Honey Badger on PCP!

Enjoy it!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Love the Savate like kicks from 2:50.

It is a fouetté, right?

3. Hannibal

Correct :)

4. Bozza Bostik

Vunak seemed to be a big fan of the kick. Why is that? Is it so different from other types of roundhouse kicks?

(Am I allowed to say the "V" word? Did I break the ToS? Am I banned? Help!)

5. Hannibal

Lol! The "V" word is fine...they settled their issues last week

It's the "whip" motion that separates it, but I don't consider this unique to Savate per se, they were just very adept at it. Bill Wallace for example is very Savate-esque, but never did it

One reason Vu was such a fan (and therefore passed it to Singh) was because he trained with Daniel Duby (who Singh is now training under)

6. Bozza Bostik

Good to hear they've sorted their problems out.

I was watching one of Vunak's DVDs and he was popping the kick out from all sorts of weird angles and positions. It was really nice to see. Some what capoeira-like to be honest.

I need to check Duby's stuff out. I'm a big fan of savate. I'm thinking of going to watch the fights in Helsinki when they happen. They're once in a blue moon.

7. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

sorry hannibal, but not impressed, nor did i learn anything.

why? pure physicality.

sure singh is impressive, he's not just fast, he has CONTROL of his speed (see the first sparring section, the acceleration and DECELERATION of his strikes to not hurt his opponent). good kung fu there.

but physicality fades.

the one thing that impressed me on bernard hopkins, george foreman(later years), floyd mayweather jr, helio gracie, anderson silva(mid-00's) and the current lyoto machida is that they are not fast, but rather they SLOW down the fight to a manageable level for them. they did it on a mixture of tactics and angles.

in the video, the next opponent singh faced was considerably much more of a challenge than the previous one. what was the response? more speed. and the presence of increased actual speed is strongly predicated to physicality compared to perceptual speed.

i am not denigrating singh's achievements. to obtain such level of physicality is no easy feat. however, if that's the basis of "intercepting the fist" then it's very easy to reach the threshold of one's limits. not everyone is singh or has singh's level of expertise.

8. Hannibal

It's not speed it's timing - subtle but important difference

Having croseed hands with Singh more times than I care to remember it is the fluidity you feel not the speed

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

One of the biggest things I dislike about this style is the amount of times I see Jeet Kune Do practitioners cross their legs, or bring their feet so close together, while moving (see this a lot with Freestyle Kickboxers and Taekwondo practitioners too). That's just begging for a low kick! :D

Good skills though.

10. Hannibal

Much of that is a kali influence - stand too square or solid there and you lose a leg! :D

11. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Hannibal, at around 1 minute it appears he is trapping the opponents lead hand as he steps in to set up his right. I just wanted to say that it is nice to see trapping done in a realistic manner rather than the craptastic examples put out by most people.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's a little unfair that Singh didn't have a helmet on.
    Just from the little I did in one of jwt's sessions wearing a helmet can be a real handicap (tunnel vision, loss of peripheral awareness).

13. Hannibal

True - these are not equal exchanges, more a chance to train your techniques under high pressure and without the same safety concerns. All training is compromise, but even in sparring you cannot go "full out"...this loses some of the "balance' but adds realism for the defenders responses to an attack

I refer to them as "restricted role" sparring - I use variations of them (last night boxing rules but one side had the opportunity to slide in destructions, traps and blasts if they could make the opening).

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

so much this. last time i sparred with a helmet on, which had a wire cage as face protection, i didn't so much get distorted vision, but rather stopped identifying what i saw. i literally saw the punches coming but couldn't figure out they they were punches, and i ate them anyway.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I enjoyed the footage. Saw it on Facebook recently. But I agree about the headgear. Not so much because of the visibility issues. For me, it's psychological. If I'm sparring with a friend or respected teacher, I find myself holding back if they aren't wearing head gear. I worry too much about hurting them. And they have no such misgivings because I'm wearing head gear. I'm never a fan of the "no thanks, I'm good" schtick.

That said, in this clip, Singh is also presenting to the camera, which would be really difficult if he had head gear on. Or rather, it would require more editing.

16. Hannibal

I always work on the assumption Singh will probably kick my ass more if I back down so I tend to try and take his head off...this may reflect more on me than anything else

Haven't managed it yet

Of course the feeder is wearing boxing gloves to allay the fears somewhat, but these are all valid observations

This is a large part of it...plus we tend to lose teeth when we don't have a helmet on

I remember sparring at 0200 in the morning in my garage gym with Singh and I had a helmet on....so he slapped my kidneys

It hurt for a week but by thunder was it a good shot!!!

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh yeah, this is very tied to my personality in particular (and anyone who shares it obviously). Not a universal problem.

Ugh. My first eskrima teacher caught me with a witik to the kidney once in sparring. I'm pretty sure I voided my soul.

18. Hannibal

I think it is pretty common - It took me a while to get comfortable with it back in the day, but as I started teaching more I knew what *I* expected so when someone says "hit me" I assume that is exactly what they want

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm perfectly happy to punch my friends in the head gear, to be clear. Over the moon, in fact. ;)

20. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Helmets of any kind certainly do effect vision and that is a negative in reading the overall exchange in sparring. However, Singh is probably a lot better than those he is sparring with and just maybe they do not want to have broken noses, etc. Singh, utilizes his speed well, has good timing as shown in the video and controls the distance well. I liked his changing the levels and utilizing some off hand traps and delivering a strike right after it. I will concur with one post above that as time fades Singh may find his hand/leg speed will move from pretty fast to significantly slower. However, when looking at him and his control of distance with a slight adjustment it won't make that much of a difference to him.