Training Buzz

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ladyhawk, Nov 13, 2002.

1. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Has anyone ever experienced a training buzz
    when you push yourself to your limit and beyond?

For me personally there is an actual intense physical
    sensation of "feeling" when all movements are effortless
    and flow naturally, without any thought and all your senses
    become extremely sensitive.

It's an awesome feeling.

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Absolutely. Especially when I tested for my instructorship. My instructor intentionally pushed me there. It's part of the "tempering" process.

I felt like I'd been wrung out physically and mentally and had absolutely nothing left to give. I didn't think I could go on ... I thought I would pass out or die if I tried. But I did it, regardless.

Because of that test (and other experiences in this vein), I have absolute confidence in my skill, ability, and heart. I know that I can hold my own against any adversary in any environment and if I "lose" (whatever that means in the context of the specific environment) it won't be because I'm lacking anything. It'll be because of something beyond my control (a bad day for me, a good day for him/her, some combination ... or maybe he/she is simply better than me).

I don't think this is something that should happen in every class ... that's just asking for burnout from 99% of the students. Or, to use a blade analogy, they'll become brittle and will snap during actual use. But I think it's absolutely vital to experience this and to put students through this at various stages of development.

Mike

3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I started to recognize (maybe develop) more sensory sensitivity
    a couple of years ago when I started training with my eyes shut.
    The past few months I've been doing more one on one training
    with a friend. These sessions are much more intense then a regular class and I'm experiencing these buzzes more often.
    It's not like training to the point of exhaustion. It's different.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. I'm not specifically talking about training to exhaustion ... though that's one method of getting there :)

It may just be something that frustrates you that you keep working until, finally, you push past it.

It may be brought about by restricting yourself in some way (i.e.: the blindfold) to make other attributes work harder.

There are a lot of routes to it. I think they're all important and as many of them as possible should be experienced :)

Mike

5. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Have you had that "feeling" extend into your activities after you finished up your training?

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup.

Oh ... and it's also possible to find that buzz through meditation :)

Mike

7. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Haven't gotten that far yet. Still trying to figure out what the "triggers" are and how to control them to my advantage.

Sending you a PM.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Oh yes - many times. In martial arts & also in other areas of intense physical effort!

9. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I'm not sure it's possible to pin down the triggers. I think there are a lot of factors that play into the reaching of that "buzz."

I'm guessing that the longer we train, the more often we find it. And, maybe, if we train long enough (far beyond where I currently am), we may reach a place where we stay "buzzed" most of the time. That would certainly explain the capabilities of some of the "old masters" that I've had the pleasure of meeting/training with.

I think, though, that many factors play into the triggering. What we ate the night before, what kind of stress we're experiencing, recent movies/books/conversations, etc. All of these things, I think, can have an effect on the "triggering."

But if you figure out a way to control them, let me know :)

Mike

10. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

That almost sounds like the "power of suggestion"

After all the mind is a very powerful tool.

11. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Mm ... what sounds like power of suggestion?

Mike

12. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Movies and conversations having an effect on your buzz.

13. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL ... I was thinking more in the line of them having an effect on your stress level or emotions :)

Mike

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Check this out..............

==============

Is there really such a thing as "runner's high"? Have you heard of it? Have you experienced it? Well, some athletes say that they did - athletes, both amateur and professional, runners and other kinds, including skiers, surfers, cyclists, wrestlers, football players and tennis players have reported it. They claim that after prolonged exercise (e.g., running 30 minutes or longer), a feeling that is good both physically and emotionally would come upon them. Skeptics, however, find it difficult to accept a phenomenon that lacks both a clear definition and scientifically proven causes.

So, What is Runner's High?

After extensive study of the phenomenon, Temple University Sport Psychologist Dr. Michael Sachs concluded that runners high is a euphoric state experienced during running, usually unexpected, in which the runner feels an increased sense of well being, an enhanced appreciation of nature, and a transcendence of time and space. But individually reported experiences of such a "state" vary considerably among athletes, ranging from being merely pleasant, to intense joy and euphoria, to experiencing spirituality, to a sense of power and invincibility, to feelings that are similar to the out-of-body sensations induced by drugs, to sexual orgasm. In other words, it covers just about all the feelings that fit the general idea of "feeling good". Not a clear-set definition. And then, there is also the debate about the causes of runner's high.

Is it Physiological or Psychological?

On the physiological side, the suspects are endorphin and serotonin, both of which are glandular chemicals. Researchers have been investigating their relationships with the euphoric feelings associated with exercise.

After being released by the pituitary gland, endorphin attaches itself to specific receptor sites in the brain and affects the brain's perception of pain. For this reason, endorphin is also known as the "natural painkiller". In addition, endorphin also appears to affect mood, memory retention, and learning. Release of endorphin is increased when the body is under stress and pain, e.g., during prolonged exercise. It is unclear, however, if the elevated level of endorphin release is responsible for the positive mood change experienced during an exercise high. First of all, it is too difficult to measure the amount of endorphin released into the brain to distinguish its effect from the effect of other factors. Secondly, the relationship between endorphin and happy feeling is not clear. If endorphin is indeed responsible for mood changes, does it always induce a positive mood or simply a mood change, which can be negative? It is estimated that only about 10% of the people who exercise ever experience a high. There are people who do not experience exercise-related mood changes. Still, there are others who actually report negative emotions during exercise.

Serotonin is another neurotransmitter that helps get messages across nerve cells in the brain. It is found to be affecting a wide range of conditions, including suppressed appetite, migraine headaches, depression, aggression, sleep disturbances, mood shifts, and anxiety. Some drugs, such as Prozac, achieve their mood-altering effect by increasing or suppressing the activity of serotonin in the brain. Now researchers are suggesting that exercise works in a similar way. But since research in this area has just begun, no definite conclusions have been made.

Psychological Factors

On the psychological side, some investigators point out that what make athletes and exercisers feel good are not some brain chemicals, but are an increased sense of self-confidence and an improved self-image. Many people reported that by being physically active they feel stronger, slimmer, firmer, more in control, and more together. Vise versa, a physically active self-image can lead to dramatic changes in people's exercise habits. For example, Dr. Edward McAuley and his colleagues in the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Illinois in Urbana, Illinois, have conducted an experiment, where they made a randomly-selected group of participants feel good about riding stationary bikes by simply telling them that they have a fitness level that is higher than average. Other researchers suggest that exercise makes people feel good because it provides people with a distraction or break from the hustle and bustle of their everyday life.

Studies like the above certainly suggest that psychological factors are at least one source of the pleasant feelings people experience during and after exercise. They do not seem, however, to be able to rule out the possibility of involvement of other factors.

What Do I Think?

Based on other peoples' testimony and my own experience, I am inclined to say that runner's high, as a unique experience, does exist. Sure, there is no clear definition for it, but like with many natural phenomena in this world, you know it when you feel it. After all, how many people have ever found words to be adequate in describing a high -- any high, whether it is induced by spirituality, drug, or sex?

It seems to me, also, that the cause of runner's high is a combination of several factors. This is not surprising, considering not only that all sports activities require physical, mental, and emotional involvement, but also that human emotion itself is both psychological and physiological in nature. Studies of the causes of exercise high can help us understand the complex relationship among various factors. For example, how does our mental state affect our physical capabilities? And how does physical exercise contribute to our emotional well-being? Clinical practitioners and counseling professionals will also find significant value in these studies, when they apply the findings to treating patients with exercise addiction or athletes in need of higher motivation. In fact, if physiologists and psychologists can find a way for more people to achieve exercise high, they may just make the greatest contribution to a society that will, as a result, become not only fitter but also happier.

=============================

15. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

LOL! Oh! OK,
    I'm one of those females that cry easily when watching movies
    especially if there's a goodbye scene in it.