Training advice needed - further tips

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by leeroyjenkins, Oct 27, 2015.

1. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

Hi all,

Relatively new here, I'm hoping someone can help me out here and give me some pointers. I try to find as much as I can through my classes and YT videos but thought I would sound the forum out for some expert advice and a critique

I have been training thai for 2 years. I took a year out due to various financial / location reasons, nothing to do with the sport. I have been back for a year and found that my skills never really declined in that year off I just got a bit rusty. A typical week would be as follows:

Monday - Class - Pads. 2 minute rounds focusing on power on the first circuit and speed on the second. Great for conditioning and tehcnique. Can't knock the pads!

Tuesday - Solo - Usually go in myself to gym and boot the heavy bag for some conditioning. I aim for 45 mins - 1 hour varying between bagwork and matwork doing planks, leg raises, tricep dips etc

Wednesday - Class - Techniques and sparring. Usually alternate between learning teep defense, kick defense etc and other techniques. Followed by some sparring usually starting light then progressively harder towards the end. Sometimes the sparring can get out of hand and it turns into a slug fest instead of honing techniques just learned

Thursday - night off or go an smash weights

Friday - Class - Strength and conditioning. Very intense 1.5 hour circuits consisisting of bags, press ups, pads. Usually 2 mins on the bag followed by 20 leg raises, then onto next bag station. This is my fav class as its great for power. I feel weak if I miss this class and have an empty hole in my stomach

sat - day off

Sun - day off

Can you guys please critique? I feel like I am not getting footwork practice in and also not enough time to practice learned techniques such as blocks and parries and kick catches etc, I do feel I get good power, conditioning and speed training...I just sometimes feel that I am missing something. Can you guys give an insight into something else that I could throw in? I was thinking shadow boxing, but I hate wanting to be "that guy" in the gym, I already get stared at when I boot the bags.

Would appreciate some insight.

Thanks

2. liero

liero Valued Member

How long have you been training?

It looks like a pretty solid week.

In terms of physical, you could increase your "gym" days. Incorporating a 3 day per week strength program (starting strength etc) could be a good way to improve your base. You could use the warmup and cool downs to work on footwork/agility drills and do a lot of mobility work and start working on your shadow boxing. Long term would start to incorporate power lifts etc. Spending more time hitting the weights has certainly improved my confidence and skill when sparring.

Regarding more skills and training.

Does your club has more classes?

Do you live near another club training other days/times in the week that you're able/willing to go to?

Can you afford private classes?

Do you have a friend at the gym you could train with outside class?

Do you have a friend who you can convince to start training at the gym and then train outside class with them?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Regarding your wish to learn more footwork - shadow box in your free time and focus on the things you want to do. Ask your instructor toshow you these things on pad work.

If you can get someone to meet you on weekends and go over techniques that would be good. No pads, just technique for technique or combination for combination.

Good luck :)

4. leeroyjenkins

Been training for 2 years. Not an expert by any means and not a beginner, probably someone in the middle. Can throw a decent kick, good power, although my technique, timing and anticipation is lacking.

wrt to the weights, without sounding cocky, I am relatively built. I have been working out consistently since 2010. That year off I took was actually to gain muscle. I used starting strength initially. I don't feel that I need more muscle mass and instead need functional strength, hence why I have been planking like a Adalia bipunctata.

When you say mobility drills, this is what I am after, have you got a link or a description of what to do during these? this is something that I never do and feel that I am lacking. I have always been under the impression that thai is very rigid, but my footwork could do with some improvement. Also with shadow boxing, this is something I do not currently do, any good routines?

in answer to your questions:

my club doesnt have more classes, I sometimes find that I can't make it to all of them either due to work and my commute home.

wrt to another club, this could be an option, is there a taboo on doing this? would my coach be ok with it?

private classes are out the question, i'm being made redundant from my job!

I do have a thai pal that I can do some extra gym work with, although his schedule is not ideal. Another pal who does MMA has moved away, and none of my friends from my town would be interested in it, they just prefer to fight when drunk at a bar!

I think I need another training buddy and maybe incorporate those mobility drills in then im good?

Thanks for the critique, appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Leeroyjenkins, please be aware that swearing (masked or otherwise) is against the ToS here on MAP.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You should try asking him that ;)

Technically speaking he can't really do anything about it. He can hardly forbid it.
    And if he were to try, personally I would look for another coach anyway.

I train in different clubs and have two teachers for one style (both are in different club).
    They are fine with it and my sensei even encouraged it, that I do there and is glad that I do that.

I went and asked my teachers first though (or have told the ones that came later, that I'm training elsewhere already, and that they'd be an "add-on"), because I think it's more respectful, which is important for me.

Those teachers even know each others and are friends with each other.
    But even though I knew before, that they know each other, that wasn't the reason I chose them, nor was it the reason, why my sensei was okay with it - that I actually stayed there was more of an accident; I just like it there.
    Could just as well have been people, who never even heard of my sensei.

7. leeroyjenkins

Yeah, sorry, I just saw that. Thanks for the warning.

8. leeroyjenkins

I will ask my instructor when I am next in. See if he can give me some pointers.

It seems the "training buddy" option has been suggested the most. Unfortunately, my pal who did MMA has moved! he was good as I have known him since childhood and because he was MMA, he had some interesting movement and he was a coach too, so it was a great set up.

Have you got any pointers on some movement based and technique based training you could do on your own?

for the shadowboxing, since I don't do it much, I guess I could just imagine I have an opponent in front of me, much like the heavy bag...I imagine the heavy bag as an opponent with his guard up, and also assume he;s going to hit me back too. Can you give an example of a routine or even a decent website link? or if there is a sticky located somewhere you can reference me too.

Thanks m8

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBWfrErX9U"]Killer Shadowboxing Workout - YouTube[/ame]

boxing but the concepts apply to thai boxing

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  10. leeroyjenkins

This is perfect, I'll study this tonight and see what I can do. Is all this movement needed for thai is my next question? thai fighters seem very rigid in the ring, almost a sort of you hit me I hit you type arrangement. Are there movements in this video that are irrelevant to thai or is it all relevant?

sorry for questions, just want to make sure I'm going down the right path.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

depends how you want to fight bro. Some thai fighters are very mobile some are like walls moving forward. usually stance is more sqaured off in thai as you know, but its what works for you that matters rather than orthodoxy IMO.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Shadow boxing and skipping for improving footwork. The bag can help you too. These are fundementals that every fighter should be doing during their training. Don't worry about what other people think. Do what you need to do to improve or you'll never break your plateu.

Just remember to relax and take your time.

13. leeroyjenkins

So there's no set rule. I do know not to stand side on like the kickboxers do as you just get your leg chopped out from underneath you.

Thai is a very square style and is based on excellent conditioning. I have seen people sparring and its just a case of kick, check, I throw one back, absorb, then a kick back. No angles being cut, just a case of coming forward and not using any real footwork.

The reason I ask is because my old MMA training partner ran rings around me when I sparred with him. I consider myself as having good power and speed and fight savvy, but his movement and footwork was something I was not used to from my sparring partners. I found it interesting and sought to improve my own footwork as it is something I have not given much though to to be honest as been so focused on power, shin conditioning, techniques and fitness.

14. leeroyjenkins

I'll maybe see if I can work some footwork into the sausage bag in my conditioning class. It is a big long thing that is quite light. I use it for movement and speed but will maybe check out the footwork video and focus more on that.

As for shadowboxing, in addition to my current routine, how often do you think I should be doing this?

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Every session. Incorporate skipping and shadow boxing into your warmup routine. 15 minutes of each minimum in my opinion (5x3 min rounds).

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

RE: When should I shadowbox

All the time.

Waiting for the kettle to boil? Shadowbox.

In line at the post office? Shadowbox

Waiting on the bus? Shadowbox

Playing xbox? Shadowbox

17. leeroyjenkins

skipping! this is something I do not do very often. I feel I have neglected the shadowboxing element of training and my movement suffers as a result I feel. I get great training in power, conditioning and techniques but hopefully shadowboxing will be great.

thank you for your suggestions

18. liero

liero Valued Member

Skipping is a great staple you should do it near daily if your serious about your training. Definately add it in to your workouts. With regard to drills I'm not sure your really looking for mobility drills, which are more about making sure your body is loose and mobile (e.g. your hips are unlocked).

For general physical improvement for your footwork etc, start to google agility drills and agility training. And as already said, work on your footwork daily with shadow boxing. Simple manoeuvres like sliding in, switch stance, sliding out, side steps etc can all be incorporated together with technique.

19. leeroyjenkins

Thanks m8, my hips are ok, do have a recurring problem with right hip, but seems to be manageable.

Since th etime of writing I have already shadow boxed, im sneaking it in when waiting for kettle to boil, when waiting for missus to get changed...any time that involves waiting while standing im sneaking a shadow box in lol....