Trained Woman vs Untrained Man

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah the other part is she was very chill and gave him space. Very relaxed.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've never seen Larosa fight. For all I know she might not be that good at takedowns or striking? She said she's a look for an opening jiu jitsu kind of fighter and that seemed to be how she fought.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...looking at her record she's very much a submission or decision type of fighter even against women her own size.

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I saw the video just now, and checked her record, plenty of Gold medals in world grappling championships.
    Definitely looked like she was taking it easy. She seems to have a good attitude about it, taking the safe option. Obviously an agreement about restriction on striking.

The excuses from him were unsurprising, the realisation that his ego has been crumbled and clutching at straws to validate his ego.
    It looked like she upped the tempo on the second go, was she afraid to hurt him first time maybe? :D

I felt like he would only accept the loss if he was submitted rapidly. You could see him making a fuss before the arm bar was even applied properly.:rolleyes:

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

He's definitely trained a bit, not enough to be good, but he's definitely trained a bit. Maybe he cheated by getting a month of training in before hand.

axelb likes this.
  6. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Controversial opinion;
    he WAS able to gain a dominant position early on in the fight, if they had allowed ground-and-pound he would have won. She struggled to submit him, if he had even a small amount of training he would have done even better. It was a clear demonstration that strength is still a very important factor in a fight and that even a trained woman will not be able to easily beat an untrained man.

adouglasmhor likes this.
  7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

On the other hand -- if ground and pound was allowed, we can reasonably assume that they both would have changed their strategies. You play to the rules of the game, right?

adouglasmhor likes this.
  8. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I dunno... she didn't seem to be going at him particularly hard. She seemed to be approaching it as a friendly spar/training session. I think it would have gone differently if she approached it as a "this is a fight and I should go 100% and give my opponent nothing". It really looked to me like she was giving him time/opportunities to do things--I'm slightly familiar with it from my brief stint at BJJ, but basically more advanced students seem to always want to give me a chance to do something, instead of just dominating me right away. I could be wrong, but I didn't get the sense her goal was to dominate him, but just to have a friendly spar.

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I agree here,
    I looked at some of her previous fights on YouTube, she certainly can land some damage, compared to those I could find, this looked like a casual sparring session.

10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I don't think she gave it 100%, which is good in a way, hopefully he'll stick around, learn, and change his opinion. The bout itself was a little...anti climatic, but most importantly she showed that her technique, experience, and fight savvy could override his superior strength.
    The post bout interview/chat, he shows great potential to be a politician, both agreeing and disagreeing, and not giving a straight answer. She explains that she wanted to go to the ground, to avoid having to slug it out with someone who was bigger and stronger, which is smart!
    You can see in his face when he's taking the tape off his gloves just how knackered he is, I think he has learnt something, and despite what he says, I hope he goes and trains in something.

axelb likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've seen people throwing around the "if he could hit her on the ground he would of (sic) won". As I see it he gets 1 dominant position to land strikes when she does a poor shot, gets stuffed, turtles and he moves to her back with a seat belt grip. Someone like GSP and Khabib ride this position really well and land a lot of damaging strikes from there. Needless to say but he is not Khabib or GSP and many untrained people are very poor at landing ground strikes.
    After that he is not in a dominant position again. He gets a front headlock position but his back is to the wall and Larosa rides it out and, from then on, is the only one in positions to land ground strikes of any note.
    Maybe from the turtle position he could have pounded her out? But it's also possible she could have moved, pulled guard, stood up etc. It was early, she was fresh and knows what to do in that situation.
    For sure she took positions later on that were prime for GnP, but was going for the sub instead, so adding ground strikes would have favoured her past that first tricky spot.
    He basically gassed about 40 seconds into the first round and was barely competitive thereafter and yet still walked away thinking he somehow won, proved his point or that totally gassing to the point of inactivity doesn't equal losing. He's a tool.
    Personally I would have preferred a proper full MMA match to a finish but for some reason they decided on no ground strikes (which is now the thing men are clinging onto to justify belittling women) and the bloke in question wimped out when he got tired or thought his arm was in danger.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    adouglasmhor, aikiMac and Knee Rider like this.
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Be great if the Gracie's did a breakdown of this because (some sloppiness aside) Larosa appeared to put into practice the sort of strategy Helio espoused on beating bigger, stronger and more athletic people.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I’m wondering if the rule set was how they got round the problems that stopped the first fight.

David Harrison and Smitfire like this.
  14. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Was it grappling only match?

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Their was striking at the start, it looks like no GnP though.

16. aikiMac

Good insight, considering how they fought. I bet you're right.

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not sure if there should still be used spoilers, so I just do it.

Right now I finally watched at least half the video.
    I'm not such a professional that there will be anything new, so it's more the few of a layperson:

I think she did just what she said: Saw the whole thing as a friendly training and sparring session.
    She seemed quite relaxed most of the time, going easy on him. With the armbar she nearly took a break while waiting for him making a mistake or anything and used it rather chilled, when she saw an opening.

I liked how he said later: "You would have won", when it came to the Lance Armstrong like cardio.
    Would have won?
    I saw her tapping him twice - is that losing now?

Generally as was mentioned before: Fighting needs some cardio/ condition. Shocker.
    I would never say my cardio is good, because it's lame; I'm a useless runner (yeah, still need to actually use the app, I bought :oops::rolleyes:) and such; different to him apparently, since he said, he is (very?) good shape.
    BUT - even I don't sound like a malfunctioning train that fast; not when I fight (mostly on the ground) with people my weight or heavier people.

But good for him, that he knows what guard or chokes are. Didn't seem to help him much, but hey...

I keep listening to the interview later right now.
    Cute, how she even gives him some excuses for his losing (true ones, yes! Like that she actually trains and knows what she does).

So, finished.
    The glance she gave him, when he was fantasizing on how well he did, was nice :D
    Interesting how consequent people can lie to themselves, even though they just pretty much proved the contrary.
    At least he added a "in my world", so you can hardly argument against that.

If I were to tell people that in my world are blue and green unicorns, than in my world they are there.
    It's just not the same with the real world.

That she even admitted to be out of form and bit heavier than usual should also give him to think; after all she had still won against him.

axelb likes this.
  18. unie01

unie01 New Member

interesting thread[​IMG]

19. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

That was pretty pointless.

20. aikiMac

Naw, just for the first day after a big event we use spoilers, so the people who missed it because of their time zone or otherwise, can still watch it fresh. Mostly it's because of our widely-varying time zones.