Tragic End to a beloved Martial Arts Program

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by G50, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I will bring a blue belt to come and school you if you do.

I also think that the quote should have it's own thread.

2. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

Actually in ninjutsu (Bujinkan's version) it is 5th Dan

3. Pretty In Pink

Weird, we have 4th and 2nd dans teaching here. :/

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

In my 3 year hiatus from working for the DOE I lived in Wisconsin and was recruited by TMA to work at Bally's even though I didn't train in their style of TKD. I was to teach the newbies their style as I learned the new syllabus and curriculum myself. Seemed fishy now. We were to be employed as 'independent contractors' to Bally's and therefore not responsible for Bally's for any students who left under less than ideal circumstances.

5. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

Neither did you...what?

6. Pretty In Pink

I can't remember, nor cba to look D:

7. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

It's about time someone finally said this. Just saying.

8. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

It's just a title, like boss or instructor. Maybe it's more of a big deal in Scotland, but here I don't really see it as weird. They earned the title ... I mean, at our studio we call the guy who owns the place (a 5th dan) "Master Kim" but when we're just talking to him we don't say "yes, master", we just say, "yes, sir" or whatever. I agree using "master" in that situation would be a little weird. But as a title? Eh, I can roll with it.

That explains everything ;)

Ehh, we have a 3rd Dan chief instructor (chief instructor = 2nd in command of studio basically) , and he did Kempo for a long time before he came to our studio. Starting over may not be so bad.

I don't understand this, either. At the studio I go to our adult class is so tight nit, we're like family practically. We all are fb friends and some have each others cell numbers.

Yeah almost all our instructors are 3rd dans :) even our chief instructor. The owner of the dojo (since some of you guys are so scared of the word "master" :rolleyes: ) is a 5th degree, but all the other instructors are 3rd (or a few are 2nd)

Again, you guys need to chill with the title thing. It's just a word :rolleyes: (read first quote).

9. Pretty In Pink

It's not where I'm from. I'm just not a slave or a second class citizen. If somebody is "My Master" then they own me. I'm just not up for that at all. Also, don't you think it's egotistical to ASK to be called "Master"?

As for calling somebody Sir/Sifu/Guru/Sensei. I have no problems with that. I call my Instructor Sir, I call my Boss Sir, I call the customers Sir/Madam.

Also can you stop bringing up Scotland, I get that it's a dig and things but I don't appreciate it. There may be other Scottish members who disagree with my views.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

MOD hat/

Chadderz do us a favor and spell out things please. The whole shortening things down to this type of acronym just make for a mess on the forum.

/MOD hat

11. sony

sony Valued Member

And...although I enjoy your posts and think you sometimes give useful insight...please stop acting as some pocket version (or BJJ/MMA version) of Master Betty.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

13. Pretty In Pink

Fair enough. Are we banning "lol"?

Your face.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The whole text speak thing is actually against the terms of service here at MAP. It's not conducive to good conversations and it's just a sign of being lazy when it comes to conveying ideas and discussing most topics. Obviously we cut some slack... but when your using text speak that doesn't even appear in acronym finders... sorry no slack cut. So don't do it.:hat:

15. Mangosteen

laughing out loud towards the post of one "Chadderz"

(is this formal enough?)
    [​IMG]

16. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

The Master title simply indicates mastery of the art and mastery of one self. Never mastery over another human being.

17. Pretty In Pink

CBA = Can't be arsed.

But yeah, won't happen again.

18. Mangosteen

just out of interest, what is the korean equivalent of sensei/teacher/guro/guru/sifu?

19. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

"Seonsangnim" - although, I'm not sure on the spelling... it may be "Seon Saeng Nim".

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. sony

sony Valued Member

What does that mean?