TRADITIONAL AIKIDO?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by hiro1998, Oct 16, 2011.

1. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

hiro1998, please add more information to your threads.

This will help explain exactly what your own ideas are and help with the types of reply you receive.

3. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

what always gets me annoyed ( i don't know about u guys) is that i love Aikido, but i searched ALOT of other martial arts and started practicing some of their moves. in a way, that benefits me, but it also confuses me on which martial art i am practicing. it SHOULD be aikido, but its more like Shaolin kung fu ,hung gar, wing chun, tai chi, or something i made up :) BTW, i am a student of kokikai aikido for 4 years now 2wice a week. the good thing about it is that my sensei KNOWS, yet i didn't tell hime, and now every time i enter the dojo, i go straight to my kicking practice that he taught me.( he first learned taekwondo at the time it was called a type of karate, and then he learned aikido{you should read my sensei's sensie's book:Stepping of the matt, by RICK BERRY})
    Help?

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

whats your question?

5. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

*confused*

6. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

cuz its easy to learn and really effective!!
    :topic:

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Easy to learn is one thing.

Proficient is quite another.

8. Mangosteen

That wasn't a question.
    First off - wat are you talking about.
    whats the purpose of this thread.
    and what question do you have or knowledge do you want to share?

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

umm... so that would be the Aikido that O'sensei practiced when he was younger (after his DRAJJ years) or his Aikido when he was an older gentleman? Where do you draw the line? Just curious.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

See this is what happens when the Ninjutsu forum has a quiet spell.

Cosmic forces have to be balanced so you get this type of thing appearing across all the boards.

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

OK, I'll play ...

So, if Ueshiba sensei's aikido is what you are most interested in, why do you practice a newly founded style of aikido instead of the original?

Yes please!

12. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

cuz i iv been practicing it for 4 years, my parents don't want me to move, and the dojo is just across the street/a block away from my house.

13. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

when he had a greeeeyyy beard...(older):cool:

14. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

first off- im talking about vintage, traditional aikido and about it's history
    the purpose of the thread is stated in the first post
    question is also one of the first posts, and knowledge/sharing 4 years of martial arts practice that i would like to answer questions about

15. Seventh

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  16. pgsmith

That was mean. Funny and educational, but mean. :)

OK, so then let's ask some questions of your experience ... Why do you think Kisshomaru Ueshiba relegated ki development to such a minor role as to force Koichi Tohei to go out and form his own Ki Society. This is despite the fact that Morihei Ueshiba was obviously a master in utilizing ki, and had taught much of his methodology to Koichi Tohei.

17. Mangosteen

It was very mean.
    He's a excitable kid who really wants to show what he's learning.

as for "ki". WTH is "ki"
    no one has magic powers...

18. Seventh

Point taken. I'll edit the post.

19. pgsmith

So, are you a simpleton, or just argumentative? :)

'ki' is the middle syllable in the word 'aikido'. This is the aikido forum right? Sorry, don't have kanji on my work computer so I can't actually put the kanji there for you. Ki is defined many ways by many different groups, but is generally acknowledged as one of the basic underpinnings of aikido. Different thoughts on ki and how to generate power in aikido are mainly what lead to most of the different aikido groups in existence. Why in the world would you call it "magic powers"? You're not one of those anime geeks that think they can throw fireballs are you?

20. Mangosteen

maybe... no...

no no.
    witht the recent influx of trolls i was expecting many people who bring up ki to mean magic powers.
    so how does your group define "ki"?