Tradition A Case For

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by koyo, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Atleast in the sword class you don't need to feel underthreat because with those swords you are always under threat. I looking forward to when we can start duelling and you cannot get anymore traditional training than swordmanship via mock duel.

The Bear.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

You have both highlighted an aspect which is of true importance..a sense of danger.If you don't move you get hit! If you do not apply it properly it won't work.THis is why I am utterly against this concept of "harmonising" with the technique. If the technique is effective you have no choice so breakfall comes into it not harmony.

regards koyo

No apology needed I never think of myself as you teacher.An example you may strive for yes :D :D :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Is that traditional modesty ;)

The Bear.

4. koyo

Hi Bear

On the sense of danger.The aikidoka should be watching the attacker ready to capitalise on any suki openings be it in posture or attitude. He should also hold a kamae which is not easily attacked.KNowing that when you attack you may be struck or counter ATTACKED in any of these areas is quite different from the token attacks I have seen and techniques which depend on some sort of compliance in the attacker.

This is what I mean by traditional .True Martial arts are demanding and are NOT for everyone only for those who are prepared for the hard and demanding training.Without this tradition who knows where they may end up.

Traditionaly you must not train in flowing techniques ki no nagare until 3rd dan
    (Morihiro Saito Shihan)

regards koyo

By the way we have sambo and mma training alongside us now. Great teacher and good guys.AS for traditional modesty :) I truly hope that gerry and the guys shall surpass me.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I'll need to stop by at some point.... so many good opportunites so little time as you know.
    Well the boys certainly train hard enough maybe they need beaten alittle harder though. You could hit them with sticks while they train!!!!

The Bear.

6. koyo

Traditionally if you wished to train in a martial art you had to have someone known to the instructor introduce you and then serve a probationary period before being accepted.Any activity (showing disrespect to other arts etc) that could reflect upon the school would see you dismissed.
    Teachers were an example to follow they did not tell you what to do or what to think training did this and all training was pragmatic and not tempered to the "needs" of the student.
    If you showed the correct spirit and commitment then you would receive the encouragemant and direction to allow you to progress in the art.
    Which art is best which school is best are irrelevant questions. Martial arts come down to one thing only. Sincerity.

regards koyo

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well that's me humped, I've got all the sincerity of a politican on election night.

The Bear.

8. koyo

Sincerity can mean saying I am not impressed when that is the case even if you are encouraged not to come back :) .You are welcome at the makoto(sincere) kai any time.

regards koyo

9. koyo

Traditionally martial arts schools were small. It is impossible to teach large numbers of students to any depth. I would also say in today's arts it is difficult to find large numbers of trully dedicated students ready to put the effort and commitment into sincere training.
    Too many instant "rewards" are offered when in fact students who are not commited to sincere training should be asked to leave.There are more than enough "masters" out there who shall be pleased to take their money.
    Also today it seams to be unacceptable to wish to have a character that won't fight at the drop of a hat. What I find of value in training spirit, tenacity, loyalty, sincerity come sorry seconds to the ability to beat someone up.
    Having trained more than forty years I have had zero serious fights on the street in my private life and all the fights in my working life (with gangs) were last resort.
    Fighting ALONE is of little value compared to the sensitivity and sensibility gained from traditional training which is physically and mentally very demanding.

regards koyo

edit thread reopened at request.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  10. senseitim

senseitim New Member

Koyo...great thread. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about the arts...no matter what style you train in, the essence has to remain intact.

Interestingly enough, your comment about class size holds very true. I did an experiment where I cut the class size in half just to prove that if there were too many students on the floor at one time, you end up teaching only to the first 3 rows or so and the content was lost on the rest. I wanted to make sure the students learned what was being taught to them. It was a huge success and subsequently the material being performed on the floor looked so much better and crisper.

They were better able to learn the "why" and not just the "how" of the Martial Arts. It's important.

11. koyo

Traditional "teaching"

koyo to Chiba shihan. "Sensei I am uncertain of the ukemi from shiho nage."
    Chiba shihan proceeds to throw koyo.
    Two hours (well 10 mins) later
    koyo to Chiba shihan "Thank you very much."

Other lessons were while executing a technique it was not unusual to receive a blow to the ribs or a cuff on the head THEN be told "You must execute a technique "with no openings" Not for the first time it would be back to basics .

regards koyo
    shiho nage which nowadays is released at hip level.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007