Toughening the shins

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Athleng Nordic, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

tornado lord- sounds like you are i nthat big ole river, denial. you realise you are flying in the face of what EVERY PRO FIGHTER has to say on the subject? along with any doctor on the planet? doesnt this make you question what your teacher has said? Ramon Dekker, a record of 175-25, named fighter of the year in thailand (which is the highest honour you can get in thai boxing, especially as a foreigner) said when he was asked that padwork is all you need and should use for conditioning. how many pro fights has your instructor had again? and against who?

I just cannot understand how you can have a viewpoint like this. its like someone saying the world is flat, being shown overwhelming evidence that it is round, yet continuing to assert that the world is flat. we arent trying to make fun of you or anything here, it pains me to see people damage themselves because of poor teaching and bad advice. and thats what you are doing.

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Ikken What is a good indicator that I'm starting to gain some level of condition using the bag? Right now I'm hitting the bag with a mid-level intenseity of power 10 time each shin 3 times. TIA.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

hit it more, and with more power. really I cant say because Icant see what your doing and what kind of level you're at, so you would be better off asking your coach.

4. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. Ill do more bagwork instead now. But I don't get poor teaching and bad advice if your saying thats what my instructor was saying. It was my friend that told me this.

5. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

Doesn't killing the nerves in your shins also lead to a condition called "cold feet"? Where your toes are always cold because a sufficient amount of blood can't get to them or something or other.
    Nice to see you're wising up Tornado Lord. It reminds me of a karate student I met back in the late 80s who told me that in order to toughen up his knuckles he had to beat on a tree until they were bloody and then pull the loose skin back and continue. I don't know where he is today but I bet he regrets it.
    Train smart.

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

:eek: ....OW! Jeez, he actually was able to summon the courage to do that? That alone is black belt material... Pulling back the skin, merciful crap! That's another way to develop arthritis, not to mention infection.

7. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

If you beat on a tree one of your knuckles will brake (or more). The loose skin is the last thing to worry about.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Courage? Not what I'd call it...

9. Athleng Nordic

UGHHH!!! How stupid can one get?!!?

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

one day a guy came to my teacher complaining he had pains in his wrist and knees.

My teacher said maybe he should use wraps and gloves when punching a bag, or use a lighter bag - what weight is the bag you use?

oh, I don't use a bag, I use a tree

:rolleyes:

11. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

No no, this is a very special technique. It's purpose is that if you punch someone - even if you lose the fight - you will actually beat them by fatally infecting them with the discusting, pussy sores on your knuckles!

12. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I thought one of the main points of 'conditioning/bagwork' was to load up the shin bones and make them stronger anyway, not just to kill off nerves? - Ikken?

13. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Dang! thats freakin crazy lol. Well ive been doing alota bag work now... I like doing that more than using the stick :cool: . Well later

14. Athleng Nordic

ICK!!! and UGH!!! in that order! so there!!! :D

15. MTK

MTK New Member

Kick trees first soft then a little harder and eventually youll get used to it

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

..... have you even read this thread MTK?

17. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

bang your head against a wall, then a little harder, and eventually, between the blurred vision and nausea, you'll realize that I'm poking fun at you. :D

But seriously, you might want to read the thread before posting. Just a friendly tip from me to you.

18. Athleng Nordic

I'm guessing he hasn't. :D

19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

it works for Jean Claude Van-Damme in Kickboxer though,
    so it's a tried and tested method, and on film for evidence ;)

20. Athleng Nordic

Yea and my revolver can fire nine times without reloading and I never miss my "flicked" shots! :D