Total Body Defence

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taffyleigh, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Hi guys/girls, i'm new to the site, but more than willing to join any subjects on the go. I train in a martial art style called Goshinkwai, which is a self defence system created in sunny South Wales. The organisation i am with is called Total Body Defence, which is a group of instructors who broke away from the original Goshinkwai organisation, due to a few disagreements between the heads of the association, even though both organisations are still in each others pockets, so to speak. Our organisation teaches junior classes, which we think is the future, but the Goshinkwai disagree with training kids, which is a shame. I have been training for about 12 years, and help instruct both juniors and seniors. I am still brown belt at the moment but due to take my Dan grading in the next few months. The club I attend is is in Risca, South Wales and there are other clubs in Ebbw Vale, Cwmbran and Newport. The club has regular seminars in which we have had instructors from other styles of martial art. Because we are a self defence style we are always open to learn techniques from other styles and use them to our advantage. We are due to release an instructional dvd in the next 2 weeks, and there are clips on Youtube if you are interested, look under total body defence or under the main instructors name Alun Williams. :woo:

2. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

3. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

Hi Taffyleigh, I'm from up north and I was wondering could you tell me what Goshinkwai/ Total Body Defence consists of and some history? (Does it come from Wales? I have always wondered if any Martial Arts have been born in Wales)

Oh and Welcome to MAP

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Are the Goshinkwai Dave Turton's group? Should be good stuff.

Mitch

5. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Croeso Taffy!

Sparx - what part of the North are you from?

Em

6. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

The TBD organisation is a group of instructors who broke away from the original Goshinkwai Yawara organisation, even though they are still on very good terms and members from both organisations are always welcome at each others clubs. Goshinkwai Yawara is a martial art that was created in Wales. It was created by 2 brothers John and Gordon Warfield after the brothers had already been training in Judo and Boxing, they went on to train with a martial arts master called Kenshiro Abbe, who came over from Japan and met the brothers at a Judo seminar which i believe was held in South Wales, he hit it off with them and they trained under him for quite a few years. The style includes alot of footwork as John was a keen dancer and incorporated this into the style for use in evasions. Dave Turton trained under the brothers as well as other instructors before he set up his own organisation, from what i have heard. There was a discussion the other week on his website about Goshinkwai and you can also find out more details on our website - Totalbodydefence.com. We are also releasing a self defence instructional dvd which shows a lot of the style. The dvd shows techniques from several different angles which you control so you get to see exactly what the techniques involve. As well as weekly classes, we also hold 3 hour seminars about once a month for men and also do the same for women only classes.

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Welcome aboard!

-Mark

8. Goshinkwai

Goshinkwai New Member

Goshinkwai

Hello TaffyLeigh, Im new to this site and it looks awesome.
    I have to say I am very impressed as you seem to be the only person aware of the very best ( most effective) martial art system there is which is Goshinkwai.

Goshinkwai is the official/formal recognised martial art of the S.A.S and is positively deadly. I envisage that very soon once people start to realise this is the art taught to C.I.A agents by the Special Air Service (see film Bourne identity and Supremecy for this style of fighting), that it will go global real soon as hey who doesnt wanna be able to fight like Jason Bourne right!?

Anyway, my hat off to your sir. Very impressed.

Kade

9. Goshinkwai

Goshinkwai New Member

Goshinkwai

Taffy, you are wrong however about it being created in Wales.
    It was taught to some martial artists in Wales by a former SAS guy called "John Mac" they then went on to call it their own style but it isnt. Basically what they have done is the very same thing the israelis did when our Special Air Service taught them, they changed it slightly and called it KRAV-MAGA.

You appear to be quite an intelligent person, so it will no doubt only take you a few clicks of google or another search engine to research the roots of Goshinkwai right bak to the days of Stirling in the SAS and how they used it to kill fast & silently.

Please understand, this art was NOT formed or discovered by two brothers, however romantic that notion may seem. We live in a world where people desperately want to be remembered as a bruce lee type pioneer with their variations and dilutions of original arts.

All countries like England do is remove all the rubbish religion side of these ancient arts and introduce a few more killer moves.
    I'm guessing you could even be one of the two brothers attempting to blow your own trumpet through this site, but please my friend, lets keep it real ey.
    Real is good !
    Kade

10. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Hi Kade, glad you like the style. I'm sorry to inform you but it was the Warfield brothers who created the style Goshinkwai Yawara, back when John Mac was still a little lad. They trained with several martial arts masters, but were greatly influenced by a man called Kenshiro Abbe, who was teaching martial arts back in the 1950's. John Mac has become involved with the Total Body Defence Organisation after my instructor contacted him to find out how effective he thought our system was. Another name you have probably heard of is Dave Turton who has his own self defence system now but trained many years ago under the Warfield brothers, so if you don't believe check out who he trained under. Where are you based, as we hold 3 hour seminars about once a month, so you could come and try out our style sometime if you wish.

11. Goshinkwai

Goshinkwai New Member

Goshinkwai

Yes absolutley, I believe I have heard of the warfield brothers who founded the GOSHINKWAI YAWARA system, I know what youre saying, its basically all a variation on a theme, people have gone in and taking several aspects of jitsu and narrowed it down to what works. Special Air Service just took the yawara off of the end and called it Goshinkwai. I am 35 years old now and my father (ex 22nd reg) taught it to myself and my brothers.

I would love to come and train with you guys whenever you have a time/slot available. I dont get up to wales much these days, but one of my neighbours (R.A.F) is from Wales, and no doubt we can pop in and see you all next time we are doing the rounds.

Anyway, You are right and historically correct in what you said and I hope I havent offended you, Its just that I was simply refering to the shorter version used and taught by the SAS as opposed to the ancient japanese tradidtions from which the warfield guys took their unique system, with taints of zen religion creeping in here and there but thankfully less that the Japanese "masters" would have had in there.

I look forward to meeting you one day. I think we would be good chums.
    ps. this site rocks !!!

Sincerely

"J"

<please don't post your email address on the public forum - Sever>
    :Angel:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  12. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I think the next 3 hour course will be on a Sunday about mid October, check out the website for details, Al hasn't updated it yet but due to in next few days. You are more than welcome to attend the course or if you are in Wales during mid week we have classes in Ebbw Vale on a Monday, Risca on Tuesday, Cwmbran on Wednesday and Newport on Thursday. The club i go to is Risca which is run by Alun, head of the organisation. The classes are every week but best to phone in advance about the Sunday courses, Al's details are on the website. Look forward to seeing you.