toshindo to bujinkan

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kagebushi, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

anyone know the differences between toshindo and traditional bujinkan?
    do they teach the stealth, weapons, climbing, etc.?

2. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

I THINK it is the same except for the philosophy. Check the Toshindo website and probably ask around there. They might be able to answer the question, SKHquest.com (that should be the right site).

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

4. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

i checked all those and i still dont know if there are any technical differences. ill try emailing him, however.

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Why do you need to know, is there one of each club in the area?

Have a look at both see which one you like, i am aware Hayes moved away from the buj but his art is still a good one, its not like ashida kims art!

6. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

well, i want to know, but there are no xkans in my area, and i wanna know if in terms of technique, toshindo is the same, and what is the philosophical difference, so i can decide if an areawide search is worth it. i have already skimmed, but i mean checking everything i know of and looking into every possible option. repeatedly.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

i would go with it, its different from the buj but i think the general census would give it a go, cant be fussy if its the only thing!!

8. vladmr1313

vladmr1313 New Member

Toshindo

Hi,

I've been taking To Shindo here in Tampa FL for about 4 weeks now and I'm enjoying it greatly.

They do have weapons classes, as for the stealth, I don't know I never asked about it as its something I'm not really interested in.

V

9. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Hm, did you check the site to see if there is one in your town or state? If there is one in your state you can e-mail or call them. But I'm sure you thought of that.

As I have said before only thing that is different to my knowledge is the philosophy. Though depending on the dojo you may not learn certain techniques. As in of Stephen Hayes' articles (that is on his site) he explains the differences between historical ninjutsu and modern day ninjutsu. Then in the last paragraph he says he doesn't teach all the stuff that he learned from Hatsumi (e.g. the historical stuff) but depending on the right person he'd teach some of it if you wanted to learn it.

Still, Toshin-Do is not that different from majority (I think) of Bujinkan dojos out there. For example, most Bujinkan don't teach hand springs but it is part of the Hatsumi teaches. Though Toshin-Do does teach it. Same can be said on the stealth aspect. Not all Bujinkan dojos teach/stress stealth. They may teach you how to move silently but, I think, that is about it. Unless you ask for private lessons or you find the right teacher.

I say if you are looking into Bujinkan, Genbukan, Toshin-Do, or whatever other ninjutsu that is out there just see it as all the same. Because in the long run they pretty much are the same. Only difference is some styles/dojos put more emphasis on some things more than others. So, keep your eyes out and keep on investigating. Plus, ask A LOT of questions. And if they don't e-mail back then you're going to HAVE TO call them up.