Too Old For Tournaments ??

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by SPIKE THE RAVEN, Sep 20, 2007.

1. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

Looking for some opinions , here - I'm 47 years old , a late starter in martial arts (took up Shorin Ryu karate @ 42 , started studying Sullivan's American Kenpo @ 44 yrs. old .....i really enjoy it , wish i had found m.a. a long time ago ...anyway , here's my question - i entered a local tournament last spring , did kata and sparred - had a blast , i like sparring although this was point sparring which i had no experience at (and it seems kind of useless) ...I did all right , placed 4th in sparring .....but I felt a little uncomfortable as I was by a long shot the oldest guy out there ...there's another tournament later this fall , and i'd like to fight again , but part of me feels a little silly about it - i'm not worried about looking bad , i can hang with these guys , but
    i wonder am i just too old to be doing this stuff ?? i plan on studying m.a. the rest of my life , but should I leave the tournament stuff to the young pups ?
    I'm a little worried that some of the young guys that don't know me might be uncomfortable fighting an old gizzard such as myself ...any thoughts ? thank you .

2. Rabu

Rabu Valued Member

I am about a decade behind you on that scale in age.

I would say allow them to have their discomfort. They need to get over themselves and simply have a good time, just like you.

Keep on going and attending, enjoying the tournaments and allow them to be what they are, the 'mixers' of the martial arts world.

Meet people and see new arts and stuff.

Best of luck!

Rob

3. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Obviously at your age your not looking to be a MMA star, so just enjoy yourself and have a good time. Many of the bigger tournaments will have senior divisions for 30+, 40+, and sometimes 50+ competitors.

4. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

have found that many pups think I must be good because I am old, or perhaps they figure they should defer b/c I remind them of their dads. Make sure to take advantage of this by kicking their butts ASAP the first time you fight each one!

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Isn't this about the time you're supposed to take up ninjitsu or some other complient crap?
    Go for it as long as you can, sod the ankle biters. Enjoy yourself, you will know when you can't compete anymore, until then kick them all over the mat.

6. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

Thank you all for your posts , I feel better about things now !!! And M.D. , I'm gonna try and hold off on the black hoodie and throwing stars for a while longer , compliance never struck me as much fun !!

7. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Since when is 47 too old? Especially for tag, errr, point "fighting."

If you are having fun and you think it is worth your trouble to go to compete in point fighting then do it. I have seen a lot older get out there and bang it up. My oldest was 63 years young. He didn't always place and wasn't usually first to the punch, but that old dog didn't mind giving 3-4 after the judge said break and that always put a smile on my face.

8. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

you're only too old to compete if you let yourself be too old to compete.

9. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Or if you're like 90 and can barely stand up....

10. Nuck Chorris

11. Nuck Chorris

I love at the 2:15 mark the kid in red actually lands a triangle, but there isn't much arm to sink it. Anyone else would have been toast.

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Nah dude....the last tourney I competed in, I thought about giving up in the sparring to the younger pups as you call em, but since I've gotten into improving my cardio and strength training, I think I can hang in there with the best of them. Granted it's point fighting, but who cares so long as I and you have a good time going at it. Plus it is a good way to knock off the rust of Father Time ;)

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

It's always better to be at the beginning of an age division than the end. Being in the 40+ division is much more to my liking at 40 than being in the 30-39 division was at 39. When you're at the bottom age wise, then you feel pretty young and spry, at the other end, you feel old old old.

Of course, this is just for the point-tag stuff. Put me in with grappling etc. allowed and I don't care if I'm fighting 25 year-olds.

14. KMA

KMA Valued Member

I think you answered your own question. If you are having fun who cares how old you are. My instructor is 62 years old. He still competes because it's fun. The young pups need us to keep thier increasing ego's in check!

15. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

47, too old?

My classmate is 76, started in his 70's and is competing again next month. He usually does forms and breaking. He'll spar if there is anyone in his division who is willing to fight.

Have fun, and good luck!