Too Much wanting to Punch and kick?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by JWH, Nov 14, 2004.

1. JWH

JWH New Member

I have a brother-in-Law who has been a police officer on patrol for 20 yrs. He has worked all shifts so he has encountered just about everything possible. The first thing he tells me is ,when they are apprehending someone, the person always squares of and starts trying to box them or kick them. In his opinion that is the EASIEST person to take down and handcuff, because when they start swinging they oen themselves up and expose their limbs to be taken down with. The ones hardest to takedown are the guys who don't stop and fight but continue to try and get away, running, jerking away etc.. So this made us think about an individual self defense situation, I'm wondering instead of teaching all the attacking ,striking, joint manip.. etc..defense techniques, we should be teaching/learning more of a retreating defense. Because from his experience dealing with criminals, it might be easier just to get away from the person as fast as you can rather than the stand and fight theory. What do you think?

2. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

In every art I have ever studied that has self defense that is the first thing you do; run away.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

The self-defense techniques taught where I train are soley based around either leaving the attacker on the ground or stunning them enough so that you have time to ...... run away! :)

4. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Yes i think that any respectable self defence class will only teach you to punch/kick for opening your way , so you can run for it.

5. mididoctors

mididoctors Valued Member

this strikes me as accurate.

fighting is not in its self "self defence"

learning to go backawrds is a REALLY usefull skill wether in self dfense or hanging around to have a punch up

Boris
    London

6. Avidaniel

Avidaniel Valued Member

When you can run, run.

But if you can, learn to cause damage to an attacker because there might be certain situations from which you cannot run. What if a pair of twisted-minded individuals come into your home and attempt to hurt your mother? If I were you, no way would I run. I would stick around, call for help, get myself sometype of weapon and intervene. In such scenerio, knowledge of how to strike hard and effective comes in handy and even more so when you dont have enough time to call for help or get some sort of weapon. Self-defense does not only constitute your integrity, but it also must atleast attempt to defend the integrity of the ones dear to you because in some way or another they are a very important part of what you are (of your "self").

7. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

First, there is a window of oppurtunity that most attackers will use. If you are able to get outside of a 15-20 foot radius, in most cases your attacker will not continue to attack. This applies mostly to bullies and career criminals who do not want to be caught. A deranged assailant will rarely follow this or any other rational strategy. Both from a tactical and legal strategy, a stun and run approach is your best bet.

Second, as a tactical master who trains law enforcement, I can tell you that the approach that they have is different from you as a civilian. Their objective is different and they are legally allowed to go one step above the force used against them on the use of force ladder. However, they are trying to capture the subject, that is not your intent, so the tactics and choice of techniques are different.

8. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

do you class a strong direct couter as a first resort self defence? by this i mean if you can run but choose to stand your ground and fight would you class this as self defence
    i ask this becasue i have this personal moral that i never run away from a fight, i dont start fights but i dont go out of my way to avoid them either or run away when i do get into them, if i want to be somewhere im not goign to let some stupid guys who think they are hard push me around and stop me doign what i want to do, i may sound stupid to some ppl i know as i have had the opputunity to run away from a gang of 15 but instead i fought against them alone, (tho actually remebering now the girls i was with didnt run so i couldnt have run away either since all my male mates ran off), as you can imagine i lost in terms of who got hit the most but i didnt fall to the floor and i didnt budge from where i was, after a little bit of fighting it was them who walked away.
    so regardless of whether this was stupid or not becasue im sure most of u would think i should have run, was it self defence to fight them when i could have run away? i think it is self defence because they attacked me first, what are your views?

9. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

if you have the opportunity to get out of a bad situation but stay to fight your just stupid really

soz about being so harsh but wat if tht guy then pulled out a knife and stabbed you to deaf

you never no

10. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i know ppl are goign to say things like that, but its hard to explain the reasons for this, basically at that time i coudnt have given a dam if they killed me i was just fed up of being bullied and pushed around, it had happened to me since the day i was born and i was just fed up with it, and as it happens there is more to that story that does involve knives but no actual fighting happened out of luck, so it did come close to that. but regardless of whether it was stupid or not do you think it is self defense?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  11. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

at the time i might have done the same as you, or i might nt have, but wat matters is tht u cud hav run but didnt#
    mind u i suppose in a strange way it is self defence just not wat most ppl wud do :Alien:

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Id say it was...you defended yourself against a gang who wanted to intimidate you....they would have loved you to run away....they could brag how tough they were that everyone was scared of them and how they looked.....

Ive stood my ground too, not against 15, but against more than 4....i think its worth it sometimes....but thats imo. that many, id have run.....

did i read right that the girls you were with didnt run?? then id have stayed 2. but shouted at them to run!

13. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

one thing no one has picked up on is that in the original post the subject is talking about a police man. he will have been trained to apprehend would be assailants and will have pressure tested techniques that dealt with striking attacks. on the other hand most thugs/muggers will not have. if you have the chance to, talk to your attackers and weigh up your odds. if you fancy your chances hit first and hit hard. running is not always an immediate option, and sometimes isnt advisable. my friend was involved in a situation a while back where he was attacked from behind at night in high street. he ran and was caught in an alley away from the centre and away from cctv.

14. tommy

tommy New Member

Standing your ground against multiple opponents is a last resort IMHO. The fact that they can brag about having you run away is a joke. Think about the odds on that. If your ego is that big that you are willing to risk possible death..especially if you have a family, then I suggest you do some soul searching about life...Leave your ego and save your life. If attacked you have no choice but to fight and create an opportunity to run. Nothing to be ashamed of.

15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

with that number i agree, even at four i wouldnt fancy my chances. all i can say is you must have got a good few hits in before they even realised what the hell was going on!