tomiki aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ziseez, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Woooh Guys this is getting deep, maybe I have been thrown on my head a few times to many or I am just thick.(Please do not answer this via this forum)

As the original detate was about Tomiki Aikido I will put some points from this angle.

Although Tomiki Aikido does include Tanto Shiai with a clear set of rules I have never felt that my opponant has ever been complient the aim is not to get thrown, with this in mind I have always had to use combinations of techniques to achieve this. Correct timing and Mai-ai play an important part of Tanto Randori. In my dojo and that of my instructor we practise Tanto taisabaki to achieve this.

Competition rule are set so that the international Tomiki/Shodokan community follow the same guide lines.

Aikido competition took many years to reach what we see now. The original thought of Kenji Tomiki was to extend judo he originally called this exercise Judo Taiso in 1956 eh helped formulate the Kodokan Judo Goshin Jitsu Kata (Basicly Aikido)

At one point Tomiki used both the mai ai of judo and aikido in a free style format, this being if the sleeve and lapel hold broke the player would go into aikido distance and try to apply aikido techniques. This is how toshu randori came about.

Randori is only a part of the Tomiki system we have six koryu no kata(Acient techinques) simular to pre war Traditional Aikido most of these Koryu no kata were developed by Kenji Tomiki & Hideo Ohba. Ohba Sensei studied with both Tomiki & O Sensei, he also held various senior dan grades in Japanese weapons systems.

The present world technical director of Japan Aikido Association Shihan Nariyama 8th Dan also hold the rank of 6th Dan Aikikai Kobiyashi Dojo.

2. taikwido

taikwido New Member

Had a tonto idea ...

I've had the idea of creating a tonto with an exposed edge where the chalk would be. You would use RED chalk ;-) That way you can visibly see where you've been "cut" ;-) Everything washes out.

3. taikwido

taikwido New Member

Do they collect perry knives and boning knives??? How do you cut your meat ???

The disntinction between a "weapon" and a "tool" is a VERY fine one. And it is largely just psychological. Just look here in the US where some states forbid carrying numchuks, but some of those states have concealed carry on handguns.

4. OBCT

OBCT New Member

can already get them. red or blue. not chalk i don't think, it's compressed paint. chalk is too brittle.