Tohei and Ki Society

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by bealtine, Jun 18, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

To be serious you got it in one. Spend more time teaching the "attacker" how to fall (harmonise) and you can produce quite (impossible) impressive techniques.
    Below to some watching this technique could look as though done with no effort yet the breakfall is spectacular. (use of ki?)

Look again his right handed punch is being cut to the side before he can focus the blow unbalancing him to the side. The atemi to the face is unbalancing him backwards to the side. The throw was ude gaeshe (fore arm turn) with the right hand continuing up to attack the face again should the technique fail.

Advanced aikido LOOKS effortless. This is the danger for students who try to execute , or are "taught" effortless techniques that do not have any of the basic principles in them.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi all,

to further add to the ambiguity of this question/topic. Due to a fair bit of travelling around when I was a little younger I had the fun of training in all sorts of different aikido dojos and styles. I can absolutely undestand a lot of the criticism that has been levelled at the ki society folk, I was myself accused of practicing 'ninjutsu' by an instructor for performing kotegashi (sorry about spelling...) in the robust manner that it had been originally taught to me. That said I had myself well and truly whomped by a couple of the senior grades there who practiced what was to my mind at least a quite martial attitude to their training.

I guess it is like a few other people have said, there is individual diversity within clubs and if 'realism' is your thing you need to go and find like minded folks, either within the dojo or in a new one.

thanks
    paul

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ki Aikido is like any other art or style of Aikido. There are those people who let themselves get carried away with the faries and all the talk about Ki and then there are some level heads who keep their feet on the ground and study the techniques with the aim of figuring out how they work what makes them work and how those lessons can realisticly be applied in either daily life or in a fight if need be.

Sadly the latter type of person is an endagered species and it's not just Ki Aikido or Aikido in general suffering from this problem.

4. David Rubens

David Rubens Valued Member

Hi everyone,

Good thread (as always).

A small matter of record...

In Post #3 on the thread, Koyo said that 'Shin Shin Toitsu' was 'New New Way'. Whilst that is a possible translation if it was written 新新統一, the way that they are written in the Kanji 心身統一 is 'Mind Body Unity'.

I recognise Koyo as an absolute font of knowledge in all aspects of Aikido, but he will acknowledge that the one time that you make a mistake, that is what is remembered and quoted as historical evidence for the next thirty years!

Regards,

David Rubens

5. koyo

Hi Dave

Yes you got me there! But like a good teacher you were remoresless ruthless and absolutely without malice. :D :D

Good to hear from you

How are things in Yoshinkan these days.Still wandering the world and dropping into dojos? The boys send their regards.

regards Bill

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  6. David Rubens

Hi Koyo,

Yes, still travelling, trying to keep on the path, and enjoying training with as many people as possible.

I am having trouble PM'ing you - can you drop me an e-mail and we can catch up on the news.

Best regards in return to all in the dojo,

David

7. koyo

Hi Dave

It would seam that you have chosen not to receive pm so I cannot get my email to you. Mrs koyo said I am not allowed to post it here!!!

regards koyo

8. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Hi Dave,
    How are you doing?Have'nt seen you around much.Thought i might have caught you at the Chiba Sensei 40th Course in London.It was a good session.For myself I am still
    busy.Sure gets tougher being a old guy[just joking].
    Might see you around.
    Cheers, Sakumeikan [ Aka Joe C----N].

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There's a minimum number of posts you need to make before PMs kick in. I think it's around 50 or so.

10. David Rubens

Thanks for that AikiWolfie, and Sakumeikan good to hear from you as well.

If anyone does want to PM me, you will find the Meidokan on google (as well as a clip of me on youtube at this years SENI).

(I am sure the moderator will make the necessary adjustments if I am not allowed to mention that!).

Best regards to all,

david

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007