TOG TKD

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Sketco, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe schmoe

joe schmoe New Member

I'm new here and read the first page of this thread...I don't know if the current posts are still on topic or not...Not going to read all the stuff (4 pages at 60 posts per)

But to the OP, I disagree with your comment regarding straight kicks are the ONLY kicks to be used in SD.

What about twist kicks? (it is a style of a roundhouse)
    What a Hook kick?
    What about a inside kick?
    What about a bicycle kick?

Plus if you are in CQB you still have other weapons in battery and are not isolated to just kicks...You have hands, knees and elbows...Just because an art is originally from a kicking style doesn't mean that is the only weapon you HAVE to use...There are other options!!

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Is this coming from a style called "Schwinn Fu"?

3. joe schmoe

joe schmoe New Member

:thinking: :whistle:

4. 47MartialMan

:rolleyes::wow:

5. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

Hook kicks can be used in a self defense situation in you are very comfortable with it...but most people aren't (even many TKD practitioners)

6. 47MartialMan

I disagree.

From my many decades of experience and observations in SD, no one has ever thrown a hook kick when self-protection/self defense is on the line.

(I have seen many martial artists-TKD and the like, once in a real SD situation, fancy or such kicks are not even thought of. The reflexes in these situations take over to not use these. Kicks are basic for shear speed and effectiveness)

If one is to practice a hook kick 1,000 times...they will be better over practicing a hook punch 500 times.

7. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

Yes, practicing hook punches will get you an effective result relatively quickly.

However, the question was whether hook kicks could be used for self defense...and they can, it's just not effective in terms of practice time.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Van Zandt used a head height turning kick in self defence and StuartA has used a flying side kick. "Rules" are there to be broken :)

Mitch

9. joe schmoe

joe schmoe New Member

A hook kick is a basic kick in our school and has been taught to us to be used in SD situations. Whether it be a hook kick to the back of the leg (sweep) or a hook kick to the kidney or liver. The opponent would never see it coming as they would assume the kick missed then with the hook return and hit the target.

A hook kick is NOT a fancy kick it is a basic kick...However, I will allow I have never been in a real self defense situation since being my Martial arts training either.

10. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Ha ha. I'm surprised no one posted this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InnPKD0cFMw"]Kicked in the face at mall - YouTube[/ame]

11. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Someone just posted this on facebook!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6TovX4_ddE&feature=player_embedded"]Brutal spinning kick knockout - YouTube[/ame]

12. aaron_mag

Ugh. That was so brutal. I want to just forget I saw that video. That could have been really bad against the asphalt...

Sporting competition is one thing but...

13. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I know... but I doubt the shopping mall floor was much softer ;)
    Feel free to delete if too graphic.. just odd that it popped up straight after your post!

Stuart

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

15. aaron_mag

The shopping mall one makes me squeamish as well. I am just a wimp. I can't watch videos of the guy breaking his shin or arms getting broken from posting during a throw either. People will be like, "Check this out..." and I am like, "NO!!!"

:)

16. 47MartialMan

In a word;

L.U.C.K.Y.

17. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

Not really, if he practiced it often.

There is a reason backkicks are "lucky" in MMA, but common in Taekwondo, it's just a matter of practice.

18. TKDGuy

TKDGuy Valued Member

I found that the Patterns that I learned in TKD (WTF Kukkiwon TKD) have a ton of SD in them. There are many hand techs AND footwork incorporated into them that could easily be used on the street and in close quarters

19. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

I may be a little off topic, but fancy moves actually do pay off in pro fighting. The fighters with the most spectacular finishes also get spectacularly paid.

20. 47MartialMan

I don't think you understand;

From MY* experiences and observations, these are NOT thrown in the "real world" of SD

From the streets and brawls*, people mix it up and it ends quick. No time for back kicks and flash.

I have seen a scant such kicks thrown and fail*.

Don't kid yourself, "in my neck of the woods"*, you will never throw such a kick either opting to do your best to get out of the scrape as fast as it started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.