Toad Sage Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Starting to feel like my old self again! Even took a semi-solid poo this morning! I may even make it to boxing tomorrow for some real light bag work or something :D.

I love how my log the last few days have been a "journey to solid defecation."

2. Ero-Sennin

Had to run 1.5 miles today for a fitness class and didn't try to get out of it since I'm starting to feel better. Ended up running it in 11:37. Not bad for coming off of being sick and never running but it's not good. Running on flat ground is way different from my not so normal (because I never really run) hilly route.

3. Ero-Sennin

BLAM! I'm coming back!

Workout

10x3min rnds :)30 break) - Heavy bag work.

Bench/Pullup (Back and forth, no real rest)

5x10 - 135lbs bench
    5x5 - Pull ups

4x30 - Crunches

About 6 rnds sparring, 4 were somewhat decent, but most of it was me teaching a guy how to relax.

*** Holy crap on pull-ups. Talk about pathetic. I used to be able to do 20, now I struggle with 5! Can't be mad as I haven't done pull-ups in about a year, going to start working them back up though. Bench got a nice pump going but it's a warmup weight for doing a bench press workout. Wasn't trying to push anything at all today though since it's day 1 back.

4. Ero-Sennin

Blam Blam Blippity.

Tabata

Exercise 1 - Sprinters step drill
    Exercise 2 - 24 inch box step ups
    Exercise 3 - 8lbs med ball, squat thrusts/gentle ball slam
    Exercise 4 - Mountain climbers

5x1min rnd :)40 break) - Heavy bag, all power shots, fast pace

- Rehydrate with special blue drink, browse MAP on my iPhone during 10 min break -

6x4min rnds rope skipping (3 speed rope, 3 weighted jump rope)

4x3 min rnds med-light sparring

3x3 min rnds "in-fighting" drill, light contact.

*** 20 min - High intensity work, 24 min - med-light aerobic work in workout

5. Ero-Sennin

Workout

8x3min rnds :)30 break)- light heavy bag work

2x3min rnds :)30 break) - Beautiful 2 rnds of high intensity sparring. Both sparring partner and I ended up with busted noses.

ladder drills

10x forward icky shuffle
    10x lateral icky shuffle
    10 x switch stance

*** More of a recovery workout than anything. Deads and cleans tomorrow, going to try out Kuma's mysterious Hook Grip he suggested me.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

definitely clean with hook grip

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's going to suck at first a bit. Athletic tape on your thumb seems to ease the learning process a good bit.

8. Ero-Sennin

I may have to push trying this hook grip off to tomorrow. Hammies are making me walk around like I fell on a broom stick the worst way possible :p

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

LOL! Hamstring DOMS is horrible in a good way! :)

10. Ero-Sennin

Ok, what kind of retarded dinosaur grip is this hook grip crap?! I tried it with a warmup for deadlifts at 135lbs. Going to have to do "after real sets" sets with light weight to make any use of this grip, but I can see/feel its benefits.

Workout

Hung out by pull-up bar until I did 50 pull-ups. Done mostly in sets of 1,2, and 3 with minimal break. Hit 5 right off the bat a lot easier then I did on Sunday though, probably could have gotten 8. Have to re-build the motor neurons for this movement to make it effective for a workout. As soon as I can pop out 10 no problem, probably in about two weeks, I'll start making them a "break" exercise.

Bench Press

1x10 - 135lbs
    1x10 - 155 lbs
    3x5 - 185 lbs
    3x3 - 205 lbs
    1x1 - 225lbs (just wanted to see what it felt like. was surprisingly easy and I would estimate I could get 3-4 reps in. reminded myself I'm not trying to increase my bench press though)

5x5 - 135lbs explosive bench press

2x10 - 225lbs deadlifts
    1x5 - 135lbs hang cleans

*** Not a good workout today. May head back to the gym later and get something more in. Head and body was not into it but at least I got some reps in for pull-ups and bench press. No boxing skill worked which isn't good.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Holy crap that Bench! Nice one :D

12. Ero-Sennin

Keep in mind bench pressing your body weight is seen as an "average" as far as lifting strength. While I believe I could press 250, that is only 20 - 30 lbs (I need to weight myself since I've been dropping weight to be more accurate) beyond my body weight. By standards measured just by people who work out, not even athletic standards, I'm at the "half way to decent" point in the lift.

Since you've been getting into lifting I think it is important for you to not be impressed by other people and what they're lifting, but rather putting a lot of focus on what you're capable of doing for your bodyweight's standards. As a martial artist with the intention to compete you want to really focus on what is average and what is exceptional for your weight class. An example of how this can help you is when you reach say . . . a bench press that is 1.5x your body weight you'll be getting into the upper end for people who lift as it applies to your body weight. At that point, you should focus a shift in your training to raise other compound lifts to be at the same standard so you maintain balance/superiority in your physical ability. There will also probably be a point where you've reached the upper class of lifting in all lifts compared to other people in your weight class, and again you would want to shift your training focus to maintenance of your physical ability and start stressing skill work to meet your physical capabilities. Just food for thought!

13. Ero-Sennin

Workout

5x5min rnds :)30 break) - rope skipping

Scheme:

6x3min rnds :)30 break), alternate every rnd between ladder drill and heavy bag.

Ladder Drill -

Rnd 1 - Forward Icky Shuffle - x6 180 degree stance switch at end of ladder
    Rnd 3 - Lateral Icky Shuffle - x4 180 stance switch
    Rnd 5 - Later Stance Switch - x 4 180 degree stance switch

Heavy Bag -

Rnd 2 - All 5 punch combinations
    Rnd 4 - Pyramid wish jab, 1 to 10, 10 to 1. Pyramid with Cross, 1-10 (made it back down to 8)
    Rnd 6 - Jab, cross to body, Cross, lead hook to body

Double End Bag (accuracy work) -

3x3 min rnds :)30 break)

Rnd 1 - 6 straight punches
    Rnd 2 - Lead hand punches, not two punches at same angle
    Rnd 3 - Double cross or no two punches the same

*** Missed out on skill work yesterday but feel I made it up today.

14. Ero-Sennin

Rest day today.

I keep feeling like I'm way too sore and tired for the amount of work I'm putting in at the gym. Wondering if it is a nutritional problem.

15. Ero-Sennin

Taking a double rest day. Only posting this because I saw everyone else posting in their training logs, and I thought I would shame myself to make sure I hit the gym hard tomorrow.

16. Ero-Sennin

Workout

6x4 min rnds :)30 break - standing lateral crunches/45lbs) - rope skipping

Hang out by pull up bar until 25 pull ups completed

1x25 @ 45 lbs - Standing lateral crunches (each side 25)

Hang out by pull up bar until 25 pull ups completed

1x25 @ 45 lbs - Standing lateral crunches (each side 25)

2x10 15lbs Arm Circles (single arm)

1x10 15lbs font arm raises

2x10 15lbs - Rear delt flys

3 rnds sparring

2x10 - 135 lbs hang cleans
    1x8 - 135 lbs hang cleans (grip again)

*** 1 rnd "sparring for KO's" intensity. Both ended up with busted noses. Was very disappointed with my speed and feel like that's the only reason I got caught with a lot of punches. I also didn't throw as much because I felt like I couldn't move. Supposedly it was a great round from what people were saying but I felt I wasn't at my full ability. I'm really disappointed with it but I did get to deal with some really hard punches that I had to fight through and saw white from. Just unhappy that I felt like I was wearing lead boots and punching through water. I wanted to get some more rounds in with the guy but the owner had a client coming in and we had to give up the ring.

17. Ero-Sennin

Ha ha ha

Workout

Tabata

Exercise 1 - Sprinters Step Drill
    Exercise 2 - 24 inch box step up
    Exercise 3 - Squat thrusts w/ 15lbs dumbells (whoa, 190bpm reached)
    Exercise 4 - Mountain Climbers

4x25 :)30 break) - Crunches

5x1 min rnds :)30 break) - All out heavy bag work.

30 min break to rehydrate and nutritionalize.

5x5 :)30 break) min rnds - Rope Skipping

3x8 min rnds :)30 break) - Medium heavy bag work.

** 20 min high intensity work. 48 minutes Medium work/bouts of intense work

18. Ero-Sennin

Oh! Well good morning insecurities and ego!

5x12 60lbs - Two Arm Curls
    5x12 60lbs - Two Arm Overhead Tricep Press

5x12 Wide Placement Pushups
    5x15 Strict Form Half Situps

Lots of walking to the mirror checking out the pump to these areas. Happy that the vein in my right bicep is coming back, also the one in my left, front deltoid is starting to make some appearances. :cool:

Workout

3x5 min rnds :)30 break) - Rope Skipping (warm up mentality)

(1 set bench, walk to pull up bar for set, walk back to bench for set, walk to pull-up bar for set . . . etc.)
    5x10 - 150lbs bench press
    5x5 - Pull Ups

3x3 min rnds :)30 break) - Medium Intensity Sparring

** Not a whole lot today, needed to keep it light today to let my body heal up a bit for the rest of the week.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  19. Ero-Sennin

Calm your mind and just get it in.

Workout

20x3min rnds :)30 break) - Heavy Bag and Rope skipping. Alternate every round.

(So . . . 10 rnds bag work, 10 rnds rope work)

Stretching.

*** Most boring workout ever. I'm sore and unhappy due to all the increased physical work in the gym and making sure I hit 10,000 steps on my pedometer a day apart from my workouts. I still have to go walk for about 30 min. to hit my 10k too. Bah humbug.

20. Ero-Sennin

Resting day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.