To wear or not to wear.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by herbert, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Hey Yohan. Now that your doing MMA you could always get a pair of marble sacks that are popular in MMA circles. :p

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Marble sacks??

Eh??

:p (just for good measure)

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

ooooooh I get it now!

Grape smugglers!
    Banana Hammocks!
    Nantucket Nad Buckets!
    Sausage Slings!

Oh no, I'm nowhere near confident enough to wear something like that!

4. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

All in good time........... ;)

5. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Don't you think there is something ever so slightly gay about two men wearing these "marble sacks" and rolling about the floor in a clinch?

I bet the old batty boys love watching! :eek:

6. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

Not that different from silk pajamas then.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

*ahem*cough*ahem*

Speak for yourself. :p

8. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

Su Lin, Mucho apologies.

However are you the fashionista, or are you Trinny or Susannah?
    :D

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Well,I'm not skinny but I'm not like the chubby one either,nor do I go around grabbing women's boobs :D

10. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

:D

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I just realised the American fellas will have absolutely no idea what that means. :D

12. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

They don’t know what they’re missing.

13. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

Its helpful, but not cause its a uniform.

Its helpful because-
    a) Gi pants type pants are rip resistant, and can withstand grappling, high kicks, takedowns etc.
    b) Our uniform top is made of kinda similar material to gi pants - ie thick and almost impossible to rip or stretch. I've seen people's t-shirts get messed up when we do clothing grabs and stuff - a solid top is very handy.

Having said that, I don't place particular value on the symbolism of the uniform, but that's just me.

14. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

The only real question for me is "does the uniform serve a practical purpous that can't be better filled by other, less expensive options?" In the case of something like the Judo Gi the answer is yes, becasue you'll rip just about anything else in one session. In other cases, the answer is dubious, and I personally see no value at all in having a uniform just for the sake of having a uniform. We routinely train in T-shirts and track pants or shorts when it's warm. I leave the silk pajamas at home.

15. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

a KF uniform would not instil anything in me, my sifu does that without the assistance of a uniform, when he has us doing mantis press ups with claps or back palm press-ups then he has instilled it already.

I always wear a white vest with black joggers and black plimsolls that's my uniform :)

16. herbert

herbert Valued Member

you scruffy bunch!

Su-Lin,
    There is nothing wrong with going around grabbing boobs.
    I wish I had a pair!!!!! :D :D

Interestingly...

No one here wears a kung fu suit during their training then, just joggers and a t-shirt.

I'm surprised to be honest.

Really I think everyone wears lovely kung fu suits, but are just too embarassed to admit it.

When I teach I always wear a long sleeved jacket. Not silk admittedly, but a black KF suit.

I think this is another sapect of westernisation of kung fu. Not wearing a suit I mean).

17. herbert

herbert Valued Member

You say a white vest. you actually mean a vest like old men wear?

I would not allow you to be in my class if you wore a vest. A t-shirt is fine, but vests are horrible.
    I don't want to see your sweaty arm pits thanks!

18. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Training pants and school tee should be more than enough.

If you want to wear a mandarin jacket and larp around like David Carradine that's your business :p

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I wear a vest, I don't get sweaty armpits. I think if I was banned from wearing a vest I wouldn't attend the class!

20. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Really! You aren't training hard enough then! ;)

I ask the girls in my class to wear t-shirts at the least. Black preferably.

No vests, no crop tops and lord help us no lycra.

Men, no vests.

All no shorts.

Other than that...