To the ladies of MAP!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by karate princess, Feb 24, 2007.

?

Do you wear make-up to class?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. Sometimes

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

well, unfortunately our society still says that women should wear makeup, and until someone invents a way to take it off instantly, it's going to continue. would you ratehr that they were late to class, because it took so long to get off after a day of work?

and honestly, i've not ever seen makeup that a little pre-treating wont get out of any clothing, so what's this about it staining your uni? i think you need to have a little more tolerance, and respect for the women. and i don't see that it's at all the same as coming in with a dirty uni, or not having bathed. it's makeup - something put on to make them MORE presentable, not less!

now, dont get me wrong, i'm not talking about the eejits who put it on just for class, and i agree with you about the ones who dump on cologne/perfume just for class. but i also think you're going a touch overboard with the hair gunk too... but it's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. i just don't agree.

2. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

I swear I'm not a peeper. :rolleyes:

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

STATEMENT:

TO: all the ladies of MAP

it's my belief that you all are beautiful enough without make up to need to wear any so go o-natural

that includes you to Rags ;)

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

you're sweet, g :D

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i'm just speaking the truth from one mans oppinion

6. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Fair enough Cait. We're approaching this from two points of view. I'm confident that anyone here would be upset if someone came to class dripping makeup, colonge, perfume, hairgel or dirt. Moderation and all that (well except for dirt heh)

You have a point about soceity still prompting women to wear makeup so I can understand the near requirement for girls to wear it. Good point too on the people who treat class like it's a school dance or a social thing and get dressed up for it (as you said putting on make-up for class).
    THAT really irks me.

Believe me I have a lot of tollerence and respect for woman but it goes both ways. Everyone is equal on the mat IMO. And again a lot might depend on how much contact their actually is. When I did TKD I remember girls wearing a lot of make-up to class and it wasn't an issue at all. I can't imagin girls wearing the same thing to Aikido however.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  7. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

i totally agree about the dripping - but most anyone who comes to class from work or after work will have had a lot wear off during the day, so i think we're basically saying the same thing. i agree with the moderation.

and i agree also with everyone being equal on the mat - thats the way it should be, anyway. you're right, i think we are coming from 2 directions, and saying basically the same thing

8. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Good :)

On a side note, in your TKD class do you find many of the younger students treat it as a social gathering?

9. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

um, the teenagers? lol... yes. everything is a social gathering to them. but they've learned to keep it to a minimum in class.

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Hear hear! Bravo, Grimmy. I know that there are some guys who don't seem to wash their gis, or maybe they do, but... heck, I don't know. But I don't like getting a person's funk... whether that's makeup or pomade or just... funk on me. I don't like it.

Now, to be clear, I see the lack of hygiene and the hair products as being bigger issues, but makeup would definitely get on my nerves. My question is, don't they sell cleansing pads that are designed to take off makeup? They're like handi-wipes or something, but they're made to remove makeup and clean your face. I could swear my wife uses something like that (although I could be wrong... her stuff is largely a mystery to me). If something like this exists, why not just throw a container of those into your bag and then before or after you dress for class, zip, zip and be done?

11. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

yes, they do sell them... and they only sort-of work. they're nice as a pre-wash. but makeup is being made to stay on longer, and consequently takes a lot more to get off... those little makeup removing things are... not nearly as functional as could be wished.

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Ah... well, is it better than nothing? Would it get off the stuff that's likely to rub into my white gi?

13. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

um.. or possibly make it smear more. like i said, they're not all they're cracked up to be

14. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Well, I'll trust your experience. As I said, I don't know what all that stuff does, really. I just know that my wife has all sorts of wierd stuff on her side of the bathroom.

It's not an issue at my school, cause the few women who roll don't seem to be the makeup types. :)

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I should of been born a woman then... I am the most narcissistic person in the world, bar none. I have literally caught myself staring at my reflection, for mins at a time :p.

16. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I doubt any woman that came into our gym wearing make up, would be taken seriously at all.

17. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

:D :p

18. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

No i definitely don't.
    Mainly as I don't wear it during the day either, it would be a bit stupid to wear it just for class!

19. Lily

Lily Valued Member

KP (you tell him!) :D

NK - what if they're coming from work, I don't mean a huge amount that's barely noticeable?

I see new girls (rare!) come to class to try it out and they're face is painted on. By the end of it they're melting and they never come back.

20. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I know that experience Lily!
    We're told to take make up off, as it's a pain to get off white gis! It's stupid to wear anyway, what if a married man had to explain lipstick on his collar?!