To post or not to post.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cooler, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

What do you think, is the boards a good way to meet and talk to people from around the world?

Let me know what you think.

Cooler.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2002
  2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Absolutely. Due to martial arts forums, I know (virtually) and have met (in person) martial artists all over the world. Last month my wife and I took a trip to Europe. I was able to meet and work out with two people (one in Copenhagen, Denmark and one in Torquay, England) who I know from online forums.

I have also found out about and been able to attend a lot of events and such in forums that I never would have heard about otherwise.

Mike

3. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I think it great. I would love to be able to go to Europe and work out with some of the people i have talk to in here. I think it would be a blast. Due to places like this people now have resources to people all over the world.

4. waya

waya Valued Member

I think it is.
    I have had the chance to meet alot of great people and attend seminars and training that was invaluable that I would otherwise never have known about or attended. Not to mention the many people met only online. The wealth of information shared is amazing compared to trying to find it outside of discussion forums.

Rob

5. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Well maybe someday i will be able to. It would be nice to leave the country for one.

Chazz

6. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I agree that these posts are a great way to meet different people from around the world. Share and express your views on the martial arts as well as other topics, ect. I couldn't think of a better way. If I do, I'll let ya know

7. Spike

Spike New Member

I like the site as a whole, the articles the boards and ATJ, I hear about the shenanigans my instructor used to get up to

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Wouldn't be here if it wasn't :D

I've met some great people over the 6 years or so I've been online.

9. Jim

Jim New Member

It's a good way to find others with the same kind of interests and if you're planning a trip to another country you just HAVE to train with the people there. This is a good way of finding out before hand that you're training with the right ones.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes Jim, next time your over here in Scotland you have to come train with me.

I will teach you some ninja-stealth moves, unfortunately they only work if:

a) Your opponents already unconscious

or

b) Asleep.... and hard of hearing.

Yeah, must train with the correct people who know their stuff, yes!

Thanx

11. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I have several forums I post on. AOL messege boards kinda boring. But yes, this is a great way to learn a lot from different martial artists around the world. If I had the money, I'd travel and visit the different martial artists I've met, and train with them.

12. waya

waya Valued Member

I will be heading to IL next month to visit family, and hopefully, since pesilat is moving right in the middle of my drive route, I will have a chance to hook up with him, even if just for a bit of lunch. Although if the opportunity should present itsself I am never one to not get my butt stomped by someone willing to beat some learning into me :D LOL

Rob

13. morphus

morphus Doobrey

totally!!!!!!!!!

14. Jim

Jim New Member

My Mrs. has been hastling me for an overseas holiday for ages now. Last one was 10 years ago. Scotland is looking good but so is the USA - Florida and California.

I'd like to catch up with and train with as many as I can while I'm away.

Made the mistake once of communicating with a group in Qld. about 4 years ago and went to train with them but it turned out REALLY bad. They were basically charlatans without any real skills. I made my exit as soon as I could.

I research a lot now before I bother to train with others.

15. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Good idea, Jim :)