To learn to fight, you must train against someone who is fighting back.

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Koyoku, Oct 31, 2006.

1. CandyCaneShinai

CandyCaneShinai Valued Member

Im sorry, this is the point where words stop being of use. Only actual training can explain this stuff...I really am sorry. Maybe somebody else can explain it.

2. Epicurus

Epicurus Valued Member

All right then.

3. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

My personal thoughts.

Too often we discuss the terms "Budo" and "Bujutsu" as seperate approaches. Yes, I know the historical usages and I know how most people break the two terms down. And yes, I have and continue to study arts that are considered "Budo" and arts that are considered "Bujutsu".

Budo and Bujutsu are not seperate. They are two facets of the same thing. The one can't exist without the other.

Budo without Bujutsu is nothing more than armchair philosophy that lacks the tools to operate in the real world.

Bujutsu without Budo is nothing more than empty technique without the training and experience to know when and why it is appropriate to use it.

Consider the term "Budo Taijutsu" as used within the Bujinkan. It contains both "Do" and "Jutsu". Why?

The purpose of "Budo" is indeed to protect your community, your family and yourself but without "Bujutsu" it is worse than useless.

4. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

I have no idea where you guys are going with this. Why can words not explain what you are trying to explain, or is it a ninja trick!

5. Epicurus

Epicurus Valued Member

My layman's anlysis of Budo and Bujutsu. Budo means "way of 'the warrior'(?)" whereas Bujutsu means "techniques of war/combat" - this is a very poor translation but the basic message is there.

Anyway, Budo in ninjutsu is not so much about seeking out or 'winning' fights as it is about remaining alive and well, along with those you care for. It's a philosophy of combat and life in general and provides insight on when and how to enter into a conflict. Bujutsu means fighting skill.

That's all I can comment on with any authority. Don't ask me what I think of it, the jury's still out.

6. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Nope, just time and training...

7. James Funaro

Was being sarcastic, I will check out on monday LI Ninjutsu to see some first hand stuff. Maybe then I will leave you guys alone.

8. Asia

Asia Valued Member

The terms BUDO and BUJUTSU are similar but not the same. BUDO is a philosphy in which one seeks improvement through the physical activiy of Martial Arts. BUJUTSU is what you do to survive a physical altercation. So CandyCaneShinai is incorrect on what the purpose of BUDO is. Still now the lines are becoming blurred and the terms are often used interchangeably.

9. James Funaro

Isn't Budo what you do when not at war, when Bujutsu is no longer required to be on hand and ready to go? I would think Budo is a rule of thumb to manage the actions of someone practicing a Bujutsu but without an immediate need for it.

Pretty much, a way of life based on your hobby, a way to be happy and junk with your killing art when there is no one to kill. Yes i know its oversimplified and maybe I'm ignorant, but I thought Budo was derived from Bujutsu. The IDEA of BUDO may have always been around but it was formally recognized as "a way" after Bujutsu was not so neccessary??

10. Asia

Asia Valued Member

You are thinking of BUSHIDO not BUDO. BUDO was what BUJUTSU was turning into during the Meiji Restoration. There was no need for the BUSHI class and their Bujutsu so BUDO came into being as a way to keep warrior methods alive but with the goal of the pple bettering themselves to help society.

11. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

When has anyone tried to seriously hurt Sensei ? If you are speaking of dojo training this is slightly delusional IMO, dont you think ?
    Do you find it strange that Soke manages to win 100% of the time ?
    With people seriously trying to hurt you, you will not win 100% of the time....no matter who you are.

12. James Funaro

So Asia: Budo is a derivative of Bujutsu, the skills of Bujutsu with a code of morals attached?? Then what is Bushido? Was Bushido always going hand in hand with Bujutsu and Budo was a new way of warriors?

13. Asia

Asia Valued Member

BUDO is what BUJUTSU became. Instead of training to open up your opponent with a sword you whack each other with bamboo shinai in a tempt to learn more about yourself and improve as a person, oversimplified version. There are personal benefits in doing any physical endeavor such as improved health and discipline. It was these benefits that BUDO wanted to focus on.

BUSHIDO means "WARRIOR WAY" or "WAY of the WARRIOR" (pple mistake BUDO as meaning 'way of the warrior' but it actually means 'way of war') This was a code of ethics, akin to Medival Chivalry, on how the Bushi class was to conduct themselves. It was based around the ideas of HONOR, RESPECT, LOYATY, HONESTY, etc. Bushido can still be relevant today if that is what you want.

14. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Well, i read CandyCaneShinai as talking about His Budo as in the Budo presented in the art he trains in, not your idea of Budo in your sport.

:cool:

15. Asia

Asia Valued Member

Well I'm talking about BUDO as it was presented in Japan when the movement from JUTSU to DO was happening. ;) Jutsu being a way to gain victory in combat an DO being more a way of life. Combat effectiveness was not the ultimate purpose but it was one of the benefits given that the practice came from combative arts. So CCS's statement, "That is indeed the purpose of budo." in response to "I presume that it is useful in Budo to be able to protect oneself or loved ones from harm" is wrong. And yes I'm splitting hairs.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  16. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

I have heard the same from people in the BJK as well. Probably an honest mistake on CCS's part...

-DW

17. Asia

Asia Valued Member

Probably. I'm just pointing out the mistake not condemning the guy.

18. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

My post was for Saru -- :)

The term Budo is over-used in the BJK and used incorrectly often. I just wanted to say it isn't a matter of "our version" -- but the right one -- and I have heard the terms used the way you presented them as well...

-DW

19. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

If you want to know the truth about the "do" and "jutsu" then I would read here http://www.koryubooks.com/library/dskoss6.html . It is written by Diane Skoss. Here is a quote from the link above.
    Here is another article by Diane Skoss. http://www.koryubooks.com/library/koryubudo.html Here is another quote.

20. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

As for "bushido," well the term was rarely used until recently (modern era).

Read more about it here. http://www.koryubooks.com/library/kfriday2.html
    Here are some quotes from Dr. Friday, PhD.