To Gi Or Not To Gi, That Is The Question

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by canemaster, Aug 7, 2006.

1. canemaster

canemaster New Member

Hi all-
    I thought of this yesterday and today-what do you all think of wearing a gi vs. not wearing one? This could be asked of anyone, but for people out there who may have physical limitations-can you go without it?
    When I started MA-even Tae Kwon Do that I eventually stopped, and now with the KJJ and Cane-I was and still am darn proud to wear the gi, at school for demos, charity events, tournaments, etc. I should be proud-I've been blessed to learn a lot. But in a class-regardless of material-I just feel restrictive and uncomfortable. Plus, I don't wear a gi to work or anywhere outside my school. Sometimes I think I'd be better of training in my "normal" clothes to create a sense of reality in case of a confrontation. Hope this isn't blasphemous to anyone.

God bless all-Canemaster

2. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

I hate wearing the gi in BJJ. It teaches impractical movements for self defense and MMA. It allows you to close up stopping anyone from getting a submission.

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

For grappling, I believe you have to do both to be practical and adaptable. For MMA and no-gi grappling, your opponent is typically only wearing fight shorts, maybe a rashguard. However, unless you only get into fights on beaches, chances are your opponent in a self-defense situation is going to be wearing some degree of workable clothing. You can execute a double-lapel grip shoulder through on a person wearing a t-shirt (as demonstrated in Bas Rutten's hilarious "Lethal Streetfighting" DVD), it's just probably going to put a hole in it (and frankly, I don't care if I rip my opponents shirt up).
    For competetive grappling, it's really a matter of preference. I prefer the gi because it gives you more options (everything you can do no-gi you can do with a gi, but not vice-versa) and I find it more enjoyable.

Outside of a judo/BJJ/Sambo type environment, it's really just a matter of tradition. I like it. My karate gi has had a whole of blood, sweat, and pain soaked into it over the years, and I feel like it's grown a personality.

4. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Clothes Do Not Make The Martial Artist

I wear the gi out of a sense of ceremony. My instuctors wear one, so I do as well. However, when it comes to sparring we work gi, no gi, and street clothes. I think the debates I've read over what clothes you train in are hilarious. In the old days there was no "training suit". The gi, the frog button shirt, kung fu pants, etc. are all variations of the regular clothes worn by the original practitioners of the various arts. Give me a comfortable t-shirt, a pair of broken in gi pants, a good pair of Asics wrestling shoes, and a cup, and I'm ready to train. :D

5. Kali.101

Kali.101 New Member

I like to wear a GI it makes the class uniform and not as if its people walking in off the street.

6. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Uniformity

True. I think the gi also makes things more formal. During Saturday class we drill material in the gi, and lose the top when it's time to spar and condition. We all have a club t-shirt or Under Armor under the gi top. Saturday class is a small group of us who have trained together for the last twelve years. For the formal classes throughout the week, we wear the gi for the entire length of class.

7. Adamwolf

Adamwolf Valued Member

I've always liked the GI, I more or less like putting myself through heat stress test I guess. Everytime I test for my next belt levels which usually take hours I grab my heavyweight and go at it. I also enjoy just training in some nice GI pants and a cotton T. Don't really have to much of mixed opinion on it.

8. ember

ember Valued Member

The Gi is also a useful psychological tool. Putting on the dobok helps to establish that this is a time for martial arts practice, to act with control, pay attention, listen close & answer loud. Attitude check :)

9. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

completely agree. they have good memories and experience contained within them.

It's good to train both ways, but I like the gi for general training. It's interesting to practice techniques like throws without a gi, it encourages people to do them the correct way as well, i.e not hanging onto the belt when you throw.

10. Slihn

Slihn New Member

Even though I train in a studio thsat does not use the Gi,I still think that a Gi holds much tradition and honor.I understand what you mean about being proud of wearing your Gi,because I feel the same way about my Muay Thai shorts.(My Muay Thai teacher gave me a pair of shorts as a gift once
    and when I wear them I feel powerful.) There is only two problems with the Gi though,one,it can be restrictive in class and it gives an unrealistic approach to grappling(in my opionion) because one the streets people are not wearing Gis.