TKDI World Champs.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Taliar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

I second this.
    musical patterns?? and people wonder why tkd doesnt get taken seriously.
    This is just as bad as the grading with the dj and light show.

2. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Congrats to Emma.

By the way, I think this thing of musical patterns is a step closer to XMA than to TKD.

Hope that musical patterns are not as known as XMA. Just for the sake of TKD.

3. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

My thoughts exactly. Musical forms will be useful when there are musical attackers.

4. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

There's no DJ, no Lights just some music. Musical patterns are done for a bit of fun, by people who are entering the other sparring and traditional patterns categories. Its not a musical pattern only competition, they are the smallest part of the competition, but they are fun. I doubt anyone who does them thinks it makes them a great fighter.

And for all those that poke fun, relax a little bit - no one told you that you had to do a musical pattern, someone does well at something and all most of you can do is make negative comments. When most of us - myself included will never be good enough to compete at 'international' level.

The reply's to this thread made me consider whether this forum is worth it, yes the shared knowledge can be a great benefit, but I can do without the put down and deriding attitudes.

5. Stewart

Stewart Valued Member

You are quite right - in my haste to add the post I typed the wrong division d'oh :eek:

6. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Anyone beating Joseph has got to be a good fighter!!

7. Stewart

Stewart Valued Member

The guy who won the flyweight fought really well. Unfortunately he damaged his foot in the teams One of the other Scottish fighters held Schembri to a draw in the team competition and my instructor also held Tony Curtis to a draw as well in the teams.

I have only now got my voice back after shouting on the Scots and the Welsh Fighters.

You Welsh guys are mental - "Who let the Jocks out" still rings in my head along with "(fighters name) is going to get you"

8. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

jennifer boyle of the scottish womens team trains at our school and darren duncan finished in 5th

9. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Did anyone see Amy Truesdale fight, not sure on her final medal haul but know she won at least 2 golds. She would have been in the Heavyweight Cadets I think.

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

The only problem I have with the musical patterns in Cardiff was rather poor level in general. There were some nice performances, like the one from A. Truesdale - even if their pattern was rearranged from John Chung's Beethoven 5th Symphony form, one of my all time favourites. But still, there were much too many competitors who think that musical pattern is about putting some dancing together with a couple of martial arts-type movements, then to make it look a bit like Tae-bo in front of judges. Those were World Championships, but some of the performers would do better on a regional event done for fun.

When I saw people like John Chung or Jean Frenette on video some 15 years ago, they had wonderful martial arts technique, coupled with good music. No need to imitate Michael Jackson, a cat or aerobic class for elderly ladies. Back then, it was just that - martial arts technique + music in unison. Still, it seems to be a standard hard to achieve by many competitors of today.

As for sparring, there were some very good fights. Dutch girls did just great, especially Aysa Akcan, winning gold both in individual and team sparring. The men's semi-finals Wales vs Argentina was great, even if I still think some people got bad decisions. Joseph Schembri is not as good as in his best years anymore - I think he's going to retire soon, as a TAGB veteran (although I still love to see him in action). Some other great names were there competing for the last time I think - Dana Stokhof or Khalid Kassem from Holland for example. I was surprised to see Jimmy Rijkschroeff coming back after a long break. It was great to see Australia's heroes Tony Curtis and Rodney Locklear (sp.?) still fighting - 6th Dans and stepping on the mat, 14 years after I saw them competing in the Worlds for the first time, that's it. I was also really surprised to see the new generation of fighters from all the different countries following their instructors' footsteps. The current TAGB squads are great fighters. The atmosphere was second to none, especially Welsh team supporters did a great job. Officiating was way below the average level of other aspects of this event, but hey, it's not a perfect world.

I spoke to Ron Sergiew afterwards and he told me about the plans to hold the next World Championships in London - I suppose it would be much better than Canada as still, the most participating nations are Europeans.

Regards

Gizmo

11. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

I believe the scottish lad is James Watson. Who I believe is also a champion boxer.

Well done to everyone who took part.

12. Goat

Goat Valued Member

LOL!! just be wary of Martial artist with Ghetto blasters!!!

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

and how old are they?

14. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Lmao, what I want to know is what happens when your track jumps or gets stuck? I have this mental pic of someone doing a move over and over :D

15. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

No sure on the actuall age but its in about the 5 - 10 range. Divisons are based on height not weight so you could be a short 8 year old against a tall 5 year old.

16. Goat

Goat Valued Member

Hey now hold on.. hold on.. just let me put on my tape of AC/DC "Big Balls" and then I'll kick your.... [​IMG]

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

come on now, i don't think that you're right, and i think that people will agree with me.

fortunately different martial arts have different aspects, so if you don't like a certain aspect of it, don't do it, but don't spoil it for the others, ok?

have you ever seen the traditional martial arts festival in bercy, france? so many martial arts and styles can be seen there and in all of them you'll see people do forms (or however they call it in their art) and other stuff accompanied by music.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thats why i said it was my opinion and i stick by that. what i see in musical kata has about as much relevance to martial arts as ballroom dancing. not that it bothers me because hardly anyone i know associates what i do with martial arts but i do feel sorry for genuine MAists who have to take flak because this sort of thing is what johnny public sees (and ridicules them for)

19. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Doesn't Thai boxing have Music, Dancing and Fancy Headresses ?????

20. Goat

Goat Valued Member

I’d have to agree with neryo I don’t see it has being detrimental to the ART. I wouldn’t call it traditional of course but I also haven’t seen where Johnny P. has been ridiculing anyone about it. Musical forms as well as Musical Weapons Forms have always been considered a separate division akin to the open divisions which display a lot of gymnastic type moves. You could just as easily proclaim breaking competition as a flashy type of show rather than true Martial Arts. I’m all for anything that helps to promote the Martial arts and musical forms tend to be a crowd pleaser. Just IMO.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005