TKD info please

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by dredleviathan, Apr 7, 2003.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi all TKD'ers out there,

I'm wondering if you could let me know a little bit about TKD (what it is, how you practice, history, training methods that sort of thing)? TKD has forms, one-step sparring, formation drills and of course sparring - that kind of thing right?

The reason I ask is that my mother-in-law has just started training in TKD and has asked me to find out more about it for her. TKD isn't something that I am likely to practice myself but I am a firm believer that there is great value in whichever system the student chooses and I would therefore like to be able to encourage her.

Apart from the fact that there are a couple of different governing bodies I don't really know much except that you empahsize kicking (hope that's right)? And I heard something about sine-wave theory????

I think she said her school was affiliated to the UKTF? DOes that mean anything to any of you?

Basically a list of books for beginners in each body would be a pretty good start or maybe some videos/websites etc?

Cheers,

Dred

Last edited: Apr 7, 2003
  2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hey dredleviathan ... (what a nice son-in-law you are!) :)

This is a good site which describes the UKTF ( United Kingdom Taekwon-Do Federation)http://www.itf-taekwondo.co.uk/ and why choose TKD...
    http://miketaekwon1.tripod.com/index.homepg.html
    .... and another UK TKD site http://www.taekwondoonline.co.uk/

True there are many associations, unions & federations .... and "styles" of TKD -- some more sport-oriented(WTF-- World Tae Kwon Do Federation), while others more traditional (ITF --International TaeKwon Do Federation). I believe your mother-in-law's school is ITF-based and there is a link to the ITF web site on their site.

The sites I have given you are UK sites which will give you a basic overview of TKD ...

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2003
  3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... actually I just realized that Mark Davies
    is a member of the UKTF .... maybe he can offer you more info

4. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks a lot KC!

Very useful. Mother in law has now also taken up a boxing class!!

The rest of the family blame me entirely...

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

are u having some probs with ur Mom in law lately??
    if yes then it's not good signs... :D
    -TkdWarrior-

6. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Should make Christmas day a bit more interesting thats for sure :rolleyes:

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

aah yes, grandmaster Jhoon Rhee said it best ....
    """the family that "kicks" together.... "sticks" together""""
    [​IMG]

8. ssjoku

ssjoku New Member

is there any touroments coming up