TKD for self defence?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by wushurichard, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

He uses sabre teeth as tooth picks...while they are still alive! Then after a dump wipes his ....no no, I wont go there.

Im not saying they dont get any adrenaling...they get it yet not negativly. The way I am seeing it and its used is that 'dump' means bad. Yet I am saying that if we are going to call it 'Dump' not rush it can still be good. A good dump.:eek:

Its too individual to stand in a room and say to everyone there they will get a 'dump',in the negative sense and fall apart. I believe it should be more positive as some are already beaten if they think like that. Some could rise to the occasion yet are being led to believe they wont. I dont like the fear factor that is given out. Respect for violence and the effects is good yet not putting fear into people. When attacked the defender should respond positively,in the head as well as physicaly I believe.

I personaly think that its not as rare to find people who will rise to the occasion. There are examples posted of it in this thread of seemingly not agressive people doing ok.
    Also when talkng of SD there has to be an attacker. That attacker must be feeling something too about the up coming violence so they cant be 'dumping' negativly as they would not be attacking in the first place. Could there be very few people starting fights or could it be there are actualy more people who dont totaly fall to peices than is made out by the RBSD world? Interesting to consider.
    In a situation everyone is on their own so should figure it our for themselves more so than just rely too much on others telling them what will happen to them. I guess thats my overall point on Adrenalin 'dumps'.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well I don't mind admitting I'm in the "dump" category and having it explained by the likes of Thompson and Consterdine was very illuminating for me but I do think you make a good point.
    Although to be fair to them I know that Thompson et al do also explain that adrenalin is like a turbo charger for the body. It's how you direct that turbo charge that counts. :)

3. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Many thanks, thats great.

Cheers,

Stuart

Ps. Meant to ask.. are you the Peter Lewis that put togethor a few martial arts books in the 80's?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Stuart

This is the one question that I am asked more than any other. Thankfully, NO I am not that Peter Lewis. :evil: I did write many articles for FIGHTERS called 'Eskrima - Beyond the Stick' which covered many of the empty-hand translations of weapons moves within the Filipino Martial Arts.

Best regards

Peter

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Try having the name "Paul Smith" and see how long it takes someone to ask "Are you the clothes designer?".

6. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

You mean it's not you!!! :rolleyes:

Actually, at first I thought you were another Paul Smith...former Mr Scotland, Wing Chun and Filipino Martial Arts instructor. :cool: