Time to close

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujingodai, Jun 15, 2014.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I've been pondering how for sometime, making plans and then being requested to stay on etc etc. I'm pretty saddened by how the Japanese arts are being represented these days, even by myself. I came to a number of conclusions. Honesty and all that. Not to mention the lack of drive about it. It's beating a dead horse for me.

"OK so as of today my dojo is closed. Bujingodai Dojo school of Honshin Ryu Ninjutsu is no more. I'm taking some months to consider any go forward options. I am not too sure what I will lay into concrete but my time in the Japanese arts is a 20 year investment for me, that I think has run its course."

All packed up, no more classes and my student base knows it.

They are asking me to pick up some how in a few months and teach some hand to hand, in a more N American context. I am considering that. But there has been enough health issues and such in my family it isn't my priority anylonger.

I'll stay on here, I may keep the same name.

I'd rather no arguments as to the validity of the school or how it got there, or the ego I had to do it, yadda yadda. I came to that myself.
    For the most part, as an indie I kept it pretty down low.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Family comes first. Heartfelt best wishes to you and yours, and good luck with whatever the future holds for you and your training and teaching. :)

Mitch

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I second Mitch's sentiments above. All the best to you and yours and in your future endeavors.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Always sad whenever someone makes a decision to close down their school, but being honest with yourself is always the best policy. Good luck man.

5. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Good luck Bujingodai. In some ways it sucks that you are closing the door to a 20 year journey but it will be cool to hear what your next (if your personal life allows it) pursuit will be. Hope you find something that rekindles your passion for the arts. Best wishes.

6. Tsukaneru

Tsukaneru Valued Member

Bujingodai, I have a question.

You say you are not happy with how Japanese martial arts are being represented these days. When I think back at how the Japanese martial arts have been represented in the West historically I see increasing amounts of ignorance as we go further back. I also see increasing amounts of filling in the gaps by westerners as we go further back, reducing the quality of what was being transmitted.

By what aspect are you measuring how well the arts are being represented these days to come to your current conclusion? Is it along the lines of the authenticity, effectiveness or behavior of teachers? And is it limited to the West or even Japan itself?

7. bujingodai

Without making a big issue about it.
    Ninjutsu lends itself to a lot of strange people. Lots of "grandmasters" and lots of poor attempts at lineage. I know I made it clear what I did was a hybrid, I claim who taught me but no mystical man in the forest thing. I was in a TMA with lineage. I went to Japan, thought for my opinion the quality control was not there. Seemed too hollywood for me. This may have just been my experience.
    I did it on my own after that. However, my mindset changed over the years seeing people seek grandeur. Falling out of sorts with many.
    I was more pragmatic and logical with my movement. I think anyway. By no means an expert, and that is one thing that led me to this. I'm no pro. I shouldn't be offering what I don't really have the historical knowledge of, or the steam to continue with.
    I learned a lot. Likely more than some. I trained with some very effective people, even some that are mired here regularly. I value that.
    The most effective "Ninjutsu" or Budoka I have trained with, were still indies. Most of the lineage bound practitioners I met had a very watered down fantasy way of movement. Again, in my experience.

I will say in my Bujinkan experience I got a chance to train with a few stemming from Ishizuka Shihan, I found them to be quite incredible.

I did enjoy Japan. I love the culture. I just don't feel it here anymore.

If I do move on. It will be something of a North American "school"

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

All the best for the future.

9. gregtca

gregtca Valued Member

Best wishes for your future, " keep it real"

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That's rough. Take care of yourself in the meantime.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Good luck! Being a student is much better then being a teacher!

12. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

Good luck in your journey.

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Good luck and all the same verbiage

That said, I too, closed a few schools after been in awhile.

Family has a lot to do with it

You could, if you get a itch, teach private lessons

This way, all of your knowledge and time put in, will still be of value to you (and others)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is what I did when I closed my class a few years back.

A couple of long term students approached me on the last day of class asking if there was any way they could continue their training with me.

They understood my reasons for closing the class and we came to an agreement that I'd teach a Sunday morning class on the first and third weekend of every month.

That continued for about 18 months until I got the urge to teach again.

I now teach a regular weekday class, but have kept the twice monthly Sunday class and those two students are still with me and were with me at this years MAP Meet.

15. 47MartialMan

Indeed. Students "come and go" (I am not talking about those who's only goal is the "Almighty Black Belt")

They are almost like children and the teacher is almost the "parent". Students have to "move on" with their lives.

But, there are the few who desire to cling on and still have a go.

Call it a "deserved hiatus", "type of Catharsis", or just plain "burn out", die-hard martial artists may have the greatest of discipline or dedication, but we are human with other needs

I found that once I came back (started as a trickle of teaching private lessons), it was immensely rejuvenating. Also, motivated me to seek other martial arts/artists.

Some say, like marriage, "the second time around" is better than the first. I don't know, but the "heart" has to be into it like the first time

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  16. bujingodai

It for me was perfect timing. I had only a few left, less than 5. Down from a class of over 40. Last 4 years just teaching out of my basement. I haven't charged for classes in over 5 years, only donations. So no contract outstanding. The ones I have left, or had for that matter had been with me for 5 years. Both military and SWAT, so they have their own experience as well.
    They have been asking me to reconvene something in the fall of some nature. If I do, it will be small scale, and not Japanese. Just a simple H2H component to keep skills going I guess. I have not yet decided and am leaning more towards the not. They have offered up to assist the offering with their own experience in such formats.
    I'm for now concerned with day to day. I am enjoying the break at this point. All my gear has been sold off for the most part and dojo has been taken down.

Shall see.

For me however this was a marriage that was done a long time ago. On a multitude of levels.

17. 47MartialMan

Great...Glad to see.

But be cautious, training at home could lead to a injury of someone then a law suit