throwing positions...

Discussion in 'Judo' started by wcrevdonner, Mar 5, 2004.

1. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Hello gentleman/ladies

Erm...Im a Wing Chun guy, looking to expand my horizons. I did a tiny bit of judo when I was younger, and when I did it, I remember all the throwing positions being from the hip and when they were behind you? I could be completely wrong as I didn't do it for too long, and I was quite young!
    I'm looking at this from an 'anti-throwing kind of view,' ie if someone who had experience wanted to throw me, what are the prime positions for him/her to be in?

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Depends what your after mate, the position you remember is only one of several, what I would call, basic throwing positions. They are generally used for what we call 'forward throws' (your opponents forward that is ;) ). There are positions for rear throws/side throws/in-between your leg throws/leg throws.

So shall we take one at a time or what ;)

Col

3. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

If you can keep your attacker at arms/legs distance from you, you can rule out hip throws. But, then there are wheel-throws and sweeps. So, that adds two additional type of throws to the two that Col is addressing.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I thought a wheel throw (I'm assuming kata guruma style?) would class as in-between your legs ;)

So shall we make a list and go through it one at a time?

Col

5. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

that would be really useful, thank you. I know the best way is to go out there and learn it, but time/money are limited at the mo, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...